project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
23 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2006-11-06, 14:10   #11
Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3N0N_br
I believe there is that construction you want, you just have to look for it texturized, in the path duckhunt posted. It just has a different name I guess...

by the way, you are using the trees as undergrowth or as static objects?
Staitc Objects........i found a great tutorial on bfeditor...made a test map in approx 2 hours, it was rushed but it gave me a basic idea of what i have to do in my big map....just a Q....how big is 1024 map size ??? is a 64 player size ?????

im workin with 512 and 256 since 1024 takes around 2hours to load up
Pantera is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 15:02   #12
KingLorre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth.Skyline
Staitc Objects........i found a great tutorial on bfeditor...made a test map in approx 2 hours, it was rushed but it gave me a basic idea of what i have to do in my big map....just a Q....how big is 1024 map size ??? is a 64 player size ?????

im workin with 512 and 256 since 1024 takes around 2hours to load up

wohohoooo you need a better story line XD
KingLorre is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 15:14   #13
Pantera

what do you mean ? u can create a basic map with Terrain and control points if you rush it...in a couple of hours...i used Terragen and L3TD .....
Old 2006-11-06, 15:18   #14
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth.Skyline
...i used Terragen and L3TD .....
*shudders*

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 17:29   #15
Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino
*shudders*
Rhino thanks to your tutorial i finished my FIRST Lightmap and Envmap ... Map .. ..LOL

I wish there was a tutorial explain how to do a Urban City kinda map...jeez...
Old 2006-11-06, 18:11   #16
duckhunt
Retired PR Developer

Whats L3TD?

and if your shuddering at terragen rhino, I dont know why because is makes awsome terrains.

Well, there is no such tutorial for a city map because its all your own work. But il try and help ya.

1. Make sure terrain in area is completley flat (for now)

2. Goto level editor

3.Up the top bar, goto: Snap>Snap to terrain grid>1/2 (make sure its ticked)
This is a useful tool that does what it says and locked the objects to a grid that you palce. It is best used for objects that needs to connect together. e.g Big walls or Pavement sections.

4.Using the snap feature, you can get a basic layout of pavements. to then place your buildings around.
In recources bar, Goto:
Bf2/objects/staticobjects/middle east/city/city architecture/sidlewalk_xxx

There are loads of different sidewalk sections, so place them down and connect them up, and it should be nice and easy because you have the snap tool turned on. (make sure your draggin them in the level with the square in the middle of the axis)

This should get you a basic 'floorplan' of your city streets.

5.In the same directory, you will see all the house_small, house medium, etc place them down ontop of your sidewalks, so you have a bit of pavement either side, fit them however you want.

6.As you can see, both the sidewalks and the buildings are sitting on the terrain, so they are overlapping eachother at the bottom of the buildings.

Select your buildings and raise them up a bit so they are *just* touching. You dont want a gap in between them that causes problems, but at the same time you dont want the buildings sunken too far in.

7. Because of the sidewalks, you have gaps in between them that should look like where the roads go, paint this with a tarmac type texutre, this saves having to use the infamous road tool everywhere. Dont worry about lines and stuff you can do that later.

Well that should get you started. Like I said at start its about creating your own thing, so you might not want to do this thing atall. Dont worry you will soon get used to how the editor works and itl be much easier to experiment.

Btw snap tool can be turned off for pretty much everything except conecting type objects, e.g you dont need it for buildings.

Also, here is a small lowdetail tutorial I did for 77sicairo77 ages ago:

You can try generating low detail maps to fix terrain.
In Each texture, goto the tweaker tab, it should say

"low detail type" set this to 1 for flat and 2 for vertical rocks.

then on the right of the screen goto "set low detail texture" and select that 1 purple image, there is only one.

then hit "generate lowdetail maps"

I hope this helps but maybe its a different problem.

duckhunt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 18:15   #17
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]duckhunt
Whats L3TD?

and if your shuddering at terragen rhino, I dont know why because is makes awsome terrains.
I prefer photoshop and then tweaking with the editor, I find it makes makes better, more sort of the terrain you want in a short space of time.

with terragen i find its just never what you want that comes out.

Old 2006-11-06, 18:45   #18
duckhunt
Retired PR Developer

Well it always needs a bit of tweaking in game obviously, but its an excellent generator, If you wanted a mountainy map, terragen would produce 100x better result in 100th of the time, in editor it takes forever to make good natural terrain and it wil never look as good.
Old 2006-11-06, 18:56   #19
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]duckhunt
Well it always needs a bit of tweaking in game obviously, but its an excellent generator, If you wanted a mountainy map, terragen would produce 100x better result in 100th of the time, in editor it takes forever to make good natural terrain and it wil never look as good.
ah but you see, i use photoshop which cuts out the time ect by alot. then i hand tweak in the editor to get the terrain i exactly want.

Old 2006-11-06, 19:04   #20
duckhunt
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino
ah but you see,
Lmao

whatever, Ive never used photoshop for heightmaps, I can see how it could be useful in some instances, but for creating a basic terrain at the start, I would use terragen. It doesnt cost $100 for nothing ya know

Did this a while ago with tpaint in about 10 minutes.

Keep your photshop tyvm!

Tags
map, scrapped, village, volcano, wip