project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2005-11-15, 22:55   #11
Why?!

Coding wise this would be do-able but not particularly easy.

The BF2 engine uses what at least sounds like a fairly realistic engine stats. There is no top speed setting, just as in real life. As in real life the top speed is defined by torque and other settings, not some set speed that the designers put in.

I do not know anything about the real life statistics of the M1A2 Abrams tank, but for the sake of the tankers that know what theyre talking about (GRB) here are the stats that the game has plugged in, and other miscellanous settings for the engine.

Code:
ObjectTemplate.setMinRotation -1/0/-1
ObjectTemplate.setMaxRotation 1/0/1
ObjectTemplate.setMaxSpeed 4/0/10
ObjectTemplate.setAcceleration 50/0/10
ObjectTemplate.setInputToYaw PIYaw
ObjectTemplate.setInputToRoll PIThrottle
ObjectTemplate.setAutomaticReset 1
ObjectTemplate.setEngineType c_ETTank
ObjectTemplate.setTorque 10
ObjectTemplate.setDifferential 12
ObjectTemplate.setGearUp 0.95
ObjectTemplate.setGearDown 0.45
ObjectTemplate.setGearChangeTime 0.1
ObjectTemplate.trackTurnAcceleration 30
ObjectTemplate.trackTurnSpeed 0.85
Also for the sake of reference, the parameters below have the biggest influence on handling characteristics.

Code:
ObjectTemplate.setMinRotation -1/0/-1
ObjectTemplate.setMaxRotation 1/0/1
ObjectTemplate.setMaxSpeed 4/0/10
ObjectTemplate.setAcceleration 50/0/10
ObjectTemplate.setTorque 10
ObjectTemplate.setDifferential 12
Last edited by Why?!; 2005-11-15 at 22:58..
Old 2005-11-16, 00:09   #12
GRB

Hey, when i first started playing PoE a while ago, I created a small Realism Mini-Mod for PoE and i made all the vehicles physics a lot more realistic based on stats from official webpages...I know a good deal about the physics coding.

Anyways, yes, its very possible to do as nothing has changed in that area much except the tanks. Question is, are people ready for realistic physics and what do you guys think about it?

Yay or nay?
GRB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-16, 00:50   #13
Why?!

I say go for it.

The only problem is that the very reason the vehicle speeds are scaled down is because the maps are scaled down. The vehicles might be a little too fast for the current maps. That does not mean I am not willing to try, this could be very interesting.
Why?! is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-16, 01:00   #14
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

for PR we just need to make sure all the custom maps are full size, with AAS even the largest of maps can be playable for 8-10 players.

BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-16, 01:00   #15
GRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why?!
I say go for it.

The only problem is that the very reason the vehicle speeds are scaled down is because the maps are scaled down. The vehicles might be a little too fast for the current maps. That does not mean I am not willing to try, this could be very interesting.
Good point...Its worth a shot IMO..

Again too, the speeds dont have to be drastically increased. Just enough to get more diversity between the different vehicles and to offer a more overall realistic experience..(especially with tank accelleration speeds)
Old 2005-11-16, 01:45   #16
Artnez
Supporting Member

The problem is that you can't mimic real life cause & effect when a vehicle, say, runs into a wall.

You know that large incline on Strike at Karkand? It's about 4-8 yards from the courtyard. In real life, if I take my HMMV and ram into the side of that incline at full speed... well... goodbye me :P In BF2, you would bump off the ramp and just keep on your merry way (like bumper cars).

Since that cause & effect I speak of can't be made true to life, it would seem irrational to take a related option and make that true to life.

What ends up happening is that one idea opens up a few more unrealistic things that need to be taken care of... and those unrealistic things need to be taken care of that open their own sets of things.

For example, if you make the HMMVs faster (even a little bit), you're going to open up alot of reckless driving and flag hopping. If it was up to me, Conquest mode would be stricken from PR because it's a ridiculous game mode -- but most servers have it running. The same goes for the MBTs and APCs.

So to counter that, you would need to make the HMMV's a little less resistant to small arms fire as they are in real life. Yes, they have armored windows, but if you unload with a PKM into a HMMV from around 5 meters, the occupants inside will not survive -- or will atleast get injured pretty badly. Not even starting about the Chinese & MEC "vans".

Dont take me as cynical... and I might be completely wrong here... I just always try to think how people would try to exploit an option in the game.

All I'm saying is, it's wrong to model things exactly to their real-life counterparts if you can't model everything around those things to the real life counterparts (in this case, damage when crashing, flat tires, disabling of the vehicle, slippery terrain based on wetness or terrain type, etc).

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Last edited by Artnez; 2005-11-16 at 01:47..
Old 2005-11-16, 01:52   #17
GRB

Not at all man, you're absolutely right.

Just keep in mind that im not talking about drastic speed increases. Just slight. But the accellerations is what I think should be focused on, more specifically on the MBTs. I mean, they accellerate faster than the HMMWVs, the only difference is the HMMWV pulls away with its top speed.

Thats something that should most definatly be changed IMO..Regaurdless if the top speeds are changed or not.

The top speeds aren't too bad, and i agree, it would lead to other things having to be changed. Personally, i think the light transport vehicles need to be extremely vulnerable to small arms. Plus, it is possible to increase the amount of damage done in collisions.

I have another suggestion that goes along with this that im not so sure is possible or not, but i will be posting it soon.

So all things aside, you think the tanks accellerations should be changed to a more realistic feature?
Old 2005-11-16, 02:06   #18
Artnez
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB
Not at all man, you're absolutely right.

Just keep in mind that im not talking about drastic speed increases. Just slight. But the accellerations is what I think should be focused on, more specifically on the MBTs. I mean, they accellerate faster than the HMMWVs, the only difference is the HMMWV pulls away with its top speed.

Thats something that should most definatly be changed IMO..Regaurdless if the top speeds are changed or not.

The top speeds aren't too bad, and i agree, it would lead to other things having to be changed. Personally, i think the light transport vehicles need to be extremely vulnerable to small arms. Plus, it is possible to increase the amount of damage done in collisions.

I have another suggestion that goes along with this that im not so sure is possible or not, but i will be posting it soon.

So all things aside, you think the tanks accellerations should be changed to a more realistic feature?
omfg stfu you asshat you are such an asshat.

Ha! Got you there. You should have seen the look on your face. Anyway, onto my real response

Quite frankly, I can't really say what's better and what's worse... as that is a long time thinking. You have to take into account many things and can't come to a quick conlusion.

I think we can both agree that tanks shouldn't be strolling around the streets or cutting through mountains by simply dropping themselves off of the cliff to sustain little to no damage.

Helicopters shouldn't be able to hover next to a flag and cap it. Ever.

Those ramps in-game that add the xtreme-sports-retards effect should not only be removed, but burned and never brought back into a BF2 game again.

There should never be 8 spawns on the map, each with one tank. There should be one spawn at each end of the map, with a set of 4-6 tanks so you could atleast for a nice column (as they did in DC).

Firing a GL (203 or GP30) into a humvee should pretty much take out of service... or atleast damage it severely. Aside from the propogand-ish specs for those things... I can promise you, if you fire a grenade launcher at pretty much any area of a HMMV it will be out of service and leave the occupants either dead or really really shaken.

The same vulnurability that was created for infantry should be there for MBTs, APCs and just about any vehicle in BF2.

And lastly, how come only the M95 has the ability to blast through windshields and cockpits? Even if something is "armored" glass, if I fire at the same point for about 4-5 shots it should go through.

So that covers the things I think should be taken away. As far as things that should be added.. hell.. whatever works. I'm not much a vehicle guy and vehicles dont bother me one bit. Although when I played DC, it was really exciting to form armored columns and actually attack a position in force (as opposed to 1 tank, 1 apc, 10 infantry and 1 HMMV as in BF2).

EDIT: I just realized I didn't answer the question you directed at me.

The answer is, I don't know. Honestly, making the tanks slower will make it way too easy for them to be destroyed in the open field. Making them faster will (even a little), will make it way to see for them to avoid guided missiles (you know, when you're peeking around a corner, someone fires.. and quickly move out of the way).

Maybe making them faster will work, but they should take some damage from running into buildings... as buildings remain completely untouched when you run a huge MBT into them. What would normally happen is you would crash into the building, and all the "boulders" on top would rain on the MBT, making it immobile.

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Last edited by Artnez; 2005-11-16 at 02:08..
Old 2005-11-16, 08:26   #19
ECale3

anyone else notice the (governed) after all the M1's stats. Without the governor the M1 is supposed to be able to do like 60-70 MPH from what i've read.

I wonder if they remove the governer when going into combat.

Also, the M203/GP30 is not that powerful, and should no be able to kill the armored humvees modelled in game. It is, after all, just an anti-infantry weapon.
Last edited by ECale3; 2005-11-16 at 09:10..
Old 2005-11-16, 10:39   #20
Rafia

Hi all,

IMO it's a drawback. I'm not sure one can prevent airplanes cruising at 2.5M+ in the thin air above 500m... I hope PR can restrain airplane speed at 600-900 km/h in every case. It's more realistic and much better for the gameplay (Stinger effectiveness etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why?!
Coding wise this would be do-able but not particularly easy.

The BF2 engine uses what at least sounds like a fairly realistic engine stats. There is no top speed setting, just as in real life. As in real life the top speed is defined by torque and other settings, not some set speed that the designers put in.
Rafia is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
enhancement, experience, realism, speeds, vehicle