project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2017-08-14, 11:46   #41
[R-CON]​Harmonikater
PR:BF2 Contributor
Default Re: Experimental updated 3dsMax Tools. Newer Max versions support and more.

Update on LMing:

DestroyableObjects are now imported and should be lightmapped automatically as well (both geom0 and geom1). During Terrain rendering only geom0lod0 will be casting shadows
They are also recognized in the LM size file as having two geoms.
Multiple geoms are separated by a "|" in the size file like so:
Code:
antitankwall_destroyable	 64 32 16 16 16 | 256 128 64 32
Additionally, getting sizes from Sample files should now work for all geoms/lods as well as custom resolutions.

For Terrain Rendering there are now the following steps (assuming Land, Lights, Statics, etc. are already set up.):

1. Set a terrain folder
2. Set the Patches and Patchsize (upon loading of terrain, suggested values are automatically set)
3. Click on Render Terrain.
4. Wait...
5. Check the created .tga file in the terrain folder. Now's the time to do touchups in PS for those inclined to do so.
6. Click on Split Terrain. This will split the .tga into the specified amount of .dds terrain patches. If an entire patch is within a cumulative error threshold, currently 10 (so if the first pixel is ARGB 0001 and some other is ARGB 0301 it will be treated as being uniform, this is ncecssary since I found that terrain patches may exhibit very small, barely discernible unless zoomed in very close, differences even if completely flat), it will be reduced to a 8x8 patch like described in Rhinos Tutorial.

More additions:
Added checkbox to import StaticObjects only as helpers,
Added Remduls MeshCheck and ObjExport to the Tools Menu

Regarding the 3p animation systems, there is no template folder in the tools.
I'll try to add a tutorial on how to create initial templates and an example template asap.

Link will be updated later today.
Harmonikater is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 13:02   #42
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Experimental updated 3dsMax Tools. Newer Max versions support and more.

Quote:
Additionally, getting sizes from Sample files should now work for all geoms/lods as well as custom resolutions.
This is something I've been pestering [R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo for a year with, trying to get a script to gather all statics and sizes instead of doing it by hand as per LM tutorial.

Does it also detect statics without samples and list them as such and also statics with lightmapping disabled ie. GeometryTemplate.doNotGenerateLightmaps 1

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 20:00   #43
[R-CON]​Harmonikater

Updated first post with new version 0.45b
Feel free to download and test extensively!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Outlawz7 View Post
Does it also detect statics without samples and list them as such and also statics with lightmapping disabled ie. GeometryTemplate.doNotGenerateLightmaps 1
I've now included checking for GeometryTemplate.doNotGenerateLightmaps 1 (will result in "none" in the size file).
Though this is done in .con-file parsing, so only for those objects that are loaded onto the map.
Using the "Build Sizes File From:" would require parsing of ALL confiles, so that will check only sample files.

However sample files and confiles are now automatically checked upon StaticObjects.con import.

Only those with no sample files and no doNotGenerateLightmaps 1 will end up with undefined in the size file. I.e. if all required sample files are present, no further steps are required setting up the sizes, and one can (in theory) start rendering straightaway.
"Apply Lightmap Settings" is also automatically applied for those with samples. Of course it can still be used manually at any time, if lightmap sizes are manually changed.

EDIT:
Also included a template for the 3P Animation System to play around with.
Old 2017-08-15, 04:58   #44
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonikater View Post
I've now included checking for GeometryTemplate.doNotGenerateLightmaps 1 (will result in "none" in the size file).
Though this is done in .con-file parsing, so only for those objects that are loaded onto the map.
"GeometryTemplate.doNotGenerateLightmaps 1" is kinda a missleading command.

It does not mean that the static will not have any shadows generated for it, but instead, it means that the object does not cast any shadows onto the terrain or other objects. This setting is normally used for things like railway tracks, pavements etc that are so low to the ground that they can't cast any shadows on anything, other than the terrain they are on which if they did, would only result in them casting a big black shadow on the terrain they are sitting on which results in more obvious zfighting with the terrain at distance.

It would, however, we worth checking this command and setting the object not to cast shadows in Max too

I believe the command you're looking for is called something along the lines of "NoLightmaps" or something like that but iirc, it is hardly ever used.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 05:31   #45
[R-CON]​Harmonikater

Ah right, misunderstood that then.
So I'll change it to
GeometryTemplate.doNotGenerateLightmaps 1 -> no shadow casting
GeometryTemplate.noLighting 1 -> no lightmaps

If GeometryTemplate.noLighting is the correct command.
I wonder what geometryTemplate.lightmapOverride does?
Old 2017-08-15, 06:02   #46
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonikater View Post
Ah right, misunderstood that then.
So I'll change it to
GeometryTemplate.doNotGenerateLightmaps 1 -> no shadow casting
GeometryTemplate.noLighting 1 -> no lightmaps

If GeometryTemplate.noLighting is the correct command.
I wonder what geometryTemplate.lightmapOverride does?
I believe that is correct yes, but not 100% sure, "noLighting 1" may also affect dynamic lights, just not sure.

And ye, dunno what LMOverride doses sorry

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 07:58   #47
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Still getting errors on templates

Just gonna wait on the tutorial as I have no idea what I was doing

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 18:08   #48
B4rr3l

Just think you guys should be focusing that energy on blender ... It's powerful, it's open source, has a lot of open source tools and plugins, and it's very complete for everything from modeling to animation and have an amazing rendering capacity with awesome lightmaps...

It should be easier to develop and implemnt this tools and improve them also, since you know all the software code.
B4rr3l is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 18:10   #49
B4rr3l

I h8 the idea to be prisoner of a $3.000 software..
B4rr3l is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 19:38   #50
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4rr3l View Post
Just think you guys should be focusing that energy on blender ... It's powerful, it's open source, has a lot of open source tools and plugins, and it's very complete for everything from modeling to animation and have an amazing rendering capacity with awesome lightmaps...

It should be easier to develop and implemnt this tools and improve them also, since you know all the software code.
"Just think you guys should focusing that energy on UE4...
It's powerful, it's opensource, has a lot of open source tools and plugins...."

Thing is, everything possible in development. You can change engine, write new exporter, move dev repo to git and code new build tools, etc etc... But it takes HUGE amount of time. It's pretty interesting to do all new stuff which might be useful in future someday.. someday. While people await for content, finished product, not some tools.

On a sidenote, blender indeed quite easy for plugins stuff. Infact i'm already working on export tools for blender, as with zero experience in it i made PoC in just few hours.

Could always utilize some help as the free time ain't infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4rr3l View Post
I h8 the idea to be prisoner of a $3.000 software..
As export tools been only for max 9 until latest time, you can only guess from where all modders around were getting their distributives

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
3dsmax, experimental, max, newer, support, tools, updated, vbf2 or pr, versions