project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.7 Feedback Forum
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)

Old 2008-03-04, 17:31   #41
jerkzilla

Make-a-point rule number 1: Don't judge a book by its cover. In this case, don't judge a person by the games he/she plays. I play Half-Life 2 Deathmatch and Unreal Tournament and, while this may not sound as modest as I'd like it to, I don't consider myself a smacktard.
Anyway...
Outlawz, I felt like that a couple times too and the best idea is, as mentioned in other posts, to take a break from PR and/or play some more arcade-ish games. My explanation for this, which may or may not be correct is that you've grown to expect too much from the players and it gets annoying when someone falls short of your -high- standards. Fact is, PR servers still see more teamwork than at least most other games out there so it's not really the game. I've grown to not care if my team wins or looses as long as my squad gets a good round doing it's part, which happens a bit more often than full cooperation of the whole team.
I don't play as much now since I'm confined for weird technical reasons to playing only on Tactics and Teamwork and it seems every time I play I have a good round now as opposed to when I played as much as I could (much more than these days) a couple months back, even at the end of 0.6.
Last edited by jerkzilla; 2008-03-04 at 19:18..
Old 2008-03-04, 17:52   #42
Psyko

Yawn! I think i have said it before. there needs to be a boot camp and tutorial!!!

or for the rest of PR's history we will be constantly bombarded by noobs. That or scrap the commander and make big assed defences that click to certain scenery like sandbag machine guns that click into windowsils, or firebases with machine gun turrets allready mounted around it.

Handbrake the tanks and APCs on contstant untill they have two crewmen inside. so they cant solo.

Make the switch kit buttons work with between infantry when they press "G" similtaniously so they can exchange their kits. Keep Squad members on an inviaible leasch, so that when they venture too far away from their squad leader they get all blury.(maybe 100 meters or so.
Give EVERYONE ammo shovels and more field dressings.

In the irish army, i was issued one, but everyone in my section took two field dressings. AND i always loaded up my smock pockets with a butt-loads of shells and as much mags as possible. we werre also given pelters (earplugs) so that when operating the machine gun we wouldnt get disorientated.
Old 2008-03-04, 18:21   #43
Waaah_Wah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykogundam View Post
Keep Squad members on an inviaible leasch, so that when they venture too far away from their squad leader they get all blury.(maybe 100 meters or so.
Give EVERYONE ammo shovels and more field dressings.
Great idea And what happens when your SL gets shot in the head and your rally goes down?
Old 2008-03-04, 18:30   #44
ZZEZ
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
I think alot of people would agree that v0.7 is not as "fun" as some of the old releases, mainly due to now its more of a simulation for the most part and not really a game any more...
I have to agree on this, I hope it will be changed in the coming releases.
Old 2008-03-04, 18:41   #45
Psyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaah_Wah View Post
Great idea And what happens when your SL gets shot in the head and your rally goes down?
Your Corperals take over until SL/seargent respawns
Old 2008-03-04, 19:13   #46
KingLorre

you should have been on WTF kashan a while back, i really needed a specops budy on that map. man it was fun spotting all the enemy armor comming from airfield, then relaying them to airsquad and then BOOOM! armor gone. man that was fun. lol.
Old 2008-03-04, 19:14   #47
DeadboyUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykogundam View Post
Your Corperals take over until SL/seargent respawns
But there is no chain of command within the scope of the game, other than the commander and squad leaders. If there is an assistant squad leader/ NCO's, it's only within the make-up of the clan structure.

So, unless a NCO kit is made available, the squad leash idea isn't really viable.
Old 2008-03-04, 19:41   #48
arjan

Make maps that force people to teamplay
Old 2008-03-04, 19:46   #49
Synced

So I am sure I am going to get flamed by the avid FPS/BF/PR gamer for this post but I am going to bring the point of view of a casual FPS gamer (not very good, but I enjoy having fun like anyone else) who got really into PR then got really upset with it and haven't played it for probably 6-8 months.

I urge not to bash, this is just a users point of view and I wish to make it known because I loved playing PR like no other game/mod before it and would love to get that fun factor back so I feel its important for me to express my experiences.

Let me explain how I got into it, why I enjoyed it and when/why I started to not enjoy it.

I jumped into the PR band wagon @ the 0.5 stage. I'm not a big fan of run & shoot & die every 10 seconds type of FPS's. One gentleman mentioned COD4 and as much as it got bashed, in hardcore mode is a bit more tactical & team work. Not as much as PR but it makes for more tactical game while still being "fun" and satisfied that you enjoyed your game.

So the first couple games of PR 0.5 I was hooked because I joined Tactical Gamer servers (if I recall?) and was told to join a squad and listen to my SL. Although I wasn't very good, it was fun to be a part of a team where ground team work being used. With voip we were calling spots of enemies, holding flag positions, duking it out with opposing squads.

At some times we were so organized that 2 squads would try and take the flag. It started to be obvious that team work could out do teams with less organization. This made it fun for me because I wasn't a headshot expert like alot of FPS gamers.

This with the feeling of being in a battle, with strategy and flag holding/capturing fealt so much fun.

I enjoy voip games and communicating & having fun with teammates even if they are strangers.

Almost every game I joined was relatively organized. Even if I was in a group of noobs like myself we seemed to have a SL that was organized and we had fun.

This started to change though as it was starting to get impossible to find squads with voip and team work and games fealt more like Rambo style players everywhere. Almost all the time there was no commander. People would leave squads because they didn't want to be SL.

I don't know when it got sour in public games but perhaps people didn't enjoy the responsibilities of SL or commander anymore. This led to games of mad chaos. I don't blame this for all the bad games but it certainly doesn't help.

As the original poster mentioned, I just simply found it hard to find fun any longer. Hours would go by without finding a good game anymore. So eventually it just became less of a game I picked up until I eventually just stopped.

It's a shame because I enjoyed it so much.

0.6 came around I tried it for a few days. Found it starting to swing more into BF2 game play with alot of people running to copters. I enjoyed the ground squad tactics. Again couldn't find any organized squads.

Again I stress fun over winning. Many times I was losing but had so much fun with a good squad. Like a bunch of teammates you know? Trying to break through the enemy. The goal was to win but it was fun TRYING to win.

So also in 0.6 came that civilian class or whatever where you couldn't shoot them. I got very frustrated with this as I would find whole squads running around.

I just did not see the battles any longer, or the teammates to go into these battles with.

Being not a FPS headshot-expert I am not clan worthy and I am sure great battles are had on clan servers however what I feel is lost is the fun for the casual gamer skill. Public servers lost this fun. I am sure organized clan servers do better but this is again not fun for me because I don't stand a chance.

It's really unfortunate. I loved playing 2-3 hours a night of PR and having a blast no matter what my skill level.

I am going to give 0.7 a shot this evening to see if anything has changed.

P.S. I would love for server options of some way to equal gamer skill as much as possible. I could only imagine the great battles if somehow the game was able to adjust settings to more equally make any gamer on as much a level field as possible. This would be awesome. I know by default this would be bad but it would be killer for servers to have this option.

I'm sure it would be hard to do but I would LOVE to have this option. I'm sure I am going to get trashed for this suggestion

Thanks for listening.
Old 2008-03-04, 19:55   #50
Brummy

I completely agree with Outlawz and Rhino. The fact that the game has become almost a simulation is nice, but the fact that the players don't behave like it is just stupid. The best PR release in my opinion was 0.4, not because the game had more vanilla-like weapons or maps. But because the player base rocked. Everybody was a player like tourney/clan players. But now, it's turned into vBF2 with better-looking assets and more VoIP communication. But teamwork isn't really that strong as it was in 0.4/0.5

Edit: Also, games like Crysis, CS:S and COD are fine. The attitude of some PR players is like "OMFG no teamwork, is stupid.. 1337 teamwork ftw. anY other game suck!!". That's almost exactly the same as saying i r 1337 IMO.

Tags
playing, satisfaction