project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2008-10-27, 20:52   #51
Waaah_Wah
Banned
Default Re: Modern use of minefields

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnRK View Post
I think I read w hile back that minefield aren't doable, but I could very well be wrong.
Hm.. Not that i know anything about coding, but why shouldnt it be possible to spawn 20-30 mines 5 meters in the air, 5 meters in front of the SL, just like the commander assets?
Waaah_Wah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 21:02   #52
AREM117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaah_Wah View Post
Hm.. Not that i know anything about coding, but why shouldnt it be possible to spawn 20-30 mines 5 meters in the air, 5 meters in front of the SL, just like the commander assets?
I think the problem is with dropping a weapon projectile, which is what the mine is. Unless they could make an spawnable object with the proporties of a landmine idk if it is possible. Would help if one of the devs would enlighten us on this topic.
AREM117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 21:09   #53
Waaah_Wah
Banned

You might be right. I have no idea, im just throwing stuff out there
Waaah_Wah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 21:31   #54
fubar++

The "dummy" mine idea sounds great to me - and I comment only for that because I didn't read all the posts. Maybe engineer could have 2 kinds of mines on weapon selection, real mine and dummy. When engineer places a dummy mine only friendly troops can recognize it by for example green sign above it (like it was with old mines and red sign). Mines are already very easy to see, so this way you could place small mine field with safe route for friedly troops.
fubar++ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-29, 11:25   #55
Proff3ssorXman

I didn't feel like making a completely new thread, and this one sort of applies.

What about having in conjuction with commander placed mines:

Concertina Wire (Not to be confused with the razor wire in game)
Dragons Teeth or Czech HedgeHogs

The concertina wire would be an anti-tank/anti-infantry deployable asset. The anti-tank aspect is that the wire gets caught up in the sprockets and seals on tank driving wheels, this in turn causes either seizure due to leaking of grease, oil etc. Or from the amount of wire stuck in the sprockets and driving wheels makes it impossible for the wheel to turn.

Dragons Teeth are large Concrete pyramids placed in areas of strategic importance which inhibites the movement of heavy vehicles and tanks. Czech HedgeHogs are basically the same idea except they are large Cross's made of steel which serve the same purpose.

I propose that these objects be commander placed in conjunction with mines to create significant area denial.

Obviously there is going to be some sort of Engine conflicts with this idea so I'm not trying to force you into doing anything. These are just some ideas I have been cooking up for ages and seemed like an appropriate place to post them.

Cheers and sorry for the long post.

Oh and BTW - I'm not entirely sure that its called Concertina Wire. But I read a book (have to go looking for it for you) and it mentioned what it was and what it does.

Another thing you might like to know. A breaching device for these sorts of minefields and concertina wire is called a Bangalore Torpedo see - Bangalore torpedo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry if this is a lot of information to take in, I don't usually post at this length.

Cheers
Proff3ssorXman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-29, 12:48   #56
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I think a asset deployed mine field would be a excellent idea, something like that would need to be modelled with its warning sign/ribbon on it as one object, it should be just as long as barbwire is now.

Glimmerman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 18:51   #57
=]H[= BrewCrew
Supporting Member

In an effort to keep things simple for the Dev's from the current v.85 - I wanted to offer some simple suggestions for the Combat Engineer's Minefields.

Problems:
- Without a Commander, you're limited to 1 Map Icon to mark your mines. This can be problematic if you've been forced to move to another spot on the battlefield because it's just too hot where you were at before (happens frequently) & you can't mark your new mines.
-Without the Map Icon to mark your map, & even when they're clearly marked - Friendlies will continually run over your mines, wasting your teams assets.
-Setting up a minefield takes up a great deal of time being only able to equip 1 mine at a time.

Suggested Solutions:
-If possible, allow the Engineer to lay out more markers on the map for his mines.
-Give the Engineer at least 2 mines at a time, *maybe* 3.
-Add an item to the Engineer's inventory - "A sign!" - nothing fancy, but maybe a small stake with skull/crossbones standing half the height of a player. Allow him to reload & place a few of these signs - then there is a visual indicator *in the game* instead of just the mini-map that there is a minefield ahead. The engineer would have the freedom to place this "sign" wherever he felt it was needed to let the friendlies know that there REALLY IS a minefield ahead. Maybe even use it to trick enemy vehicles into using a different route, and make the sign destroyable.

To sum it up, I'm basically suggesting that we make the TK's a little more easily avoided without changing the kit up too much. It would also be great to have 1 more mine in our pack to get our job done a little quicker.

CHICAGO =]H[= SERVERS
=]H[= BrewCrew is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 19:29   #58
single.shot (nor)

what if the minefields were limited to 4km maps?

-just a suggestion
single.shot (nor) is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 19:45   #59
DannyIMK

good idea! there should be trucks with special crate that only relaods Mines[and maybe c4]
and engineers can drive that truck
there could be Commander Assest too

Engineers should have a sign that says that there's a mine(maybe 8 signs if there is limit
of 8 mines)

there can be also Mine Clearing vehicles, like armored bulldozers, or bomb robots
[i'm not sure that Army uses bomb robot but i think that Marines at urban maps use it]
, Special sniper rifles(like Barret) and engineers can disable/remove mines with wrench
and shovel
DannyIMK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 20:29   #60
Remoted-Bomb

I have an additional idea. Why can't we have false minefields. With this, a warning sign like picture under is placed, but when you walk, nothing happends. With this, maybe it is possible that some peoples are taking risks, and it's not 100% that there actually is any minefield here. That's used.

EDIT: Couldn't find picture. Maybe someone else have a picture?

Anyway, here you can find info about US Mine marking (HEMMS):

M133 Hand-emplaceable minefield marker set (HEMMS) (United States) - Jane's Military Vehicles and Logistics
Remoted-Bomb is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
minefields, modern