project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
24 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2012-10-07, 22:28   #1
CanuckCommander
Default [Guide] Harrier Vertical Takeoff

This is a short guide on how to takeoff vertically in the Harrier with 100% success rate within the shortest amount of time possible. If done right, this might be faster than taxiing to the end of runway from where CAS Harriers spawn.

Steps:

1) Vertical lift to 120m (minimum) *note: must be a bit forward away from Carrier since the deck is 22m high, you'll need the extra meters.

2) Immediately throttle to 100%

3) At the same time, point nose up 30-45 degrees **THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT** (Most people fail because they don't do this to point the exhaust toward the ground).

4) The jet should fall until you have 10-30m left and start lifting. When you start moving forward, pull up hard.

Congrats, you just did a successful (while not very realistic) vertical takeoff.
Old 2012-10-07, 23:58   #2
Jafar Ironclad
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: [Guide] Harrier Vertical Takeoff

That being said, a vertical takeoff is all parts slow, risky, and outclassed by simply lining up on the runway and taking off conventionally.

Note: During the conventional takeoff, there is a chance you may take damage on the ramp if you're going too fast at that point. We will fix this in a later version. For now, avoid using afterburner when taking off, and don't start from all the way at the end of the runway; you can safely launch from the east side of the tower.

Old 2012-10-08, 00:22   #3
40mmrain
Supporting Member

we ought to test the two against each other.

sometimes there is a bit of a traffic jam on the invincible, and having to turn the GR3 around is a little bit annoying. For the Sea harrier, it is worthless.
Old 2012-10-08, 02:15   #4
CanuckCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jafar Ironclad View Post
That being said, a vertical takeoff is all parts slow, risky, and outclassed by simply lining up on the runway and taking off conventionally.

Note: During the conventional takeoff, there is a chance you may take damage on the ramp if you're going too fast at that point. We will fix this in a later version. For now, avoid using afterburner when taking off, and don't start from all the way at the end of the runway; you can safely launch from the east side of the tower.
By the time, you taxi from where the CAS harriers spawn and where you need to takeoff, you would still need time to turn around and line up. Vertical takeoff is NOT risky. If you do it like I said, you have 100% chance of success and it doesn't take that long to get to 120m.

Nope, only time you take damage is when you pull up during takeoff. I made that mistake a few times. Don't pull up, just let the ramp do its job. Only pull up after you're airborne. Otherwise, your tail will hit the ramp and you will blow up after takeoff.

Note: Why do Harriers have afterburners? That's unrealistic. I thought there weren't any in game, so I never pressed shift.
Old 2012-10-08, 03:05   #5
Jafar Ironclad
Retired PR Developer

They have VERY slight afterburners, as does the A-4, for minor maneuver boosts, catching up in formations, and a better transition from vertical to forward flight. The real planes of course lack burners, so no sound or visual effect.

Old 2012-10-08, 05:05   #6
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Can't say I approve of this myself...

I would advise all players to take off normally, it really doesn't take long, even for the GR3s on the front of the carrier to taxi all the way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jafar Ironclad View Post
They have VERY slight afterburners, as does the A-4, for minor maneuver boosts, catching up in formations, and a better transition from vertical to forward flight. The real planes of course lack burners, so no sound or visual effect.
Ye, basically its a "fake afterburner" with no visual or sound effects, but very, very slightly increases your speed, for the main purpose of catching up in formations in the same way jets with proper ABs catch up in formations (but nothing like as effective).

Old 2012-10-08, 05:40   #7
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

Landing vertically is good (and realistic), I was watching the traffic jams
Old 2012-10-08, 05:49   #8
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Landing vertically is really the only way to land, other than a rolling landing but that's hard to do well and requires a complete opened up runway.

Old 2012-10-08, 06:20   #9
jorge_prargentina

thank you very much for the guide, I had this problem xD
Old 2012-10-08, 12:19   #10
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

Yeah, ONLY if runway is full the vert. takeoff is the best (and coolest!!!) way to get airborne the fastest way!

Tags
guide, harrier, takeoff, vertical