project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2005-11-12, 23:57   #1
minigunmonk

Default Professional Pilots

This has probably been suggested previously, but the cure to all Plane/Chopper stupidity would surely be a separate pilot class. If we want realism, then why can every pereson on the battlefield fly an aircraft? If the pilot class had disadvatages, such as no armour, knife and pistol only weapons, then it would discourage idiots from using aircraft for personal transport ie; fly to action and bail out. Most people who take the game seriously like to focus on one class or one vehicle anyway. Its resonable for a trooper to be able to jump in a jeep or truck (tank?) and operate it, but a jet or helicopter? I think not. Can anyone suggest problems with this idea?
minigunmonk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-13, 00:25   #2
DAWG

It has been suggested before, although I am not sure about the part of allowing only pilots to use helos, planes etc. If it can be done, then I think it would make a big difference to the number of n00bs, currently using attack helos and fighters as taxis. Good idea, hopefully the mod can create a pilot class ( i believe this is being done already ) and lock the aircraft to that particular kit.
DAWG is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-13, 00:59   #3
Artnez
Supporting Member

Only as long as you can limit classes per map.

Imagine starting the map with 10 pilots.. not a good thing. If I decide to be a pilot and spawn in, the first 2 will take the aircraft I was going for and all I have after that is a pistol. If someone else takes the armor and APCs while I'm running for the aircraft, I'll be useless.

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Artnez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-13, 02:17   #4
minigunmonk

Thats a good point I hadnt thought of, but in a way dont you get that already? When a lot of people go sniper at once or engineer? This would only be a problem on unorganized servers i think. If there was any kind of teamwork it could be overcome pretty easily.It may even help by making people think twice before commiting to aircraft? maybe not. Slightly off-topic, but why does it take two people to man a humvee, but only one can operate a tank? this anoys me because it takes more teamwork to operate the lesser vehicle. A tank should have a driver a gunner and commander(on the .50), the APC should have a driver and a gunner minimum. Because of this I think there is also a simular issue to the aircraft thing, where dickheads always grab the tank/APC because they can operate it alone (then proceed to waste what they have in a singlehanded attempt to take on the entire enemy force). I think single operator vehicles detract from the team-play element. As a final note regarding the original problem of too many pilots etc, I guess there would have to be an intelligent spawn system for determining required classes? cheers.
Old 2005-11-13, 02:45   #5
Artnez
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minigunmonk
Thats a good point I hadnt thought of, but in a way dont you get that already? When a lot of people go sniper at once or engineer? This would only be a problem on unorganized servers i think.
Not true, since a sniper can still be effective in taking down infantry. Good snipers, like myself :P, have no problem in dealing with any infantry threat. A group of great snipers can rip a group of assault infantry to pieces.

A pilot, on the other hand, would have no body armor and a simple pistol, making him completely useless.

I think a better approach would be to have pilot kits laying around (like in Desert Combat for BF1942) that you can pick up.

You would have 1 kit per aircraft. As soon as an aircraft is destroyed, the kit spawns again.

But since no one has yet to clarify how moddable BF2 is, I can't say if this will work or not (technically speaking, not gameplay-wise).

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Artnez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-13, 02:52   #6
Mad Max

I think most chopper pilots have body armour these days for the "just incase" moments, seeing as choppers are more liable to get shot at with small arms seeing as they operate closer to enemy forces than fixed wings who tend to be nice and safe a few thousand feet in the air.
Mad Max is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-13, 09:10   #7
minigunmonk

I think the pilot kit near the aircraft (to be picked up before flying), solves the shortcommings of all pilots and no troops. As long as the kit stays current until your next respawn (which it does Im sure). Ive never really played BF1942, only BFV. Thanks for the input all..
Old 2005-11-13, 13:15   #8
Wolfmaster
Retired PR Developer

In fact, the pilot class is already in the works for the dev team. The pilot class will, obviously, the only ones that can fly the air assets and will pretty much suck in ground man-to-man combat.

Wolfmaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-13, 14:02   #9
BlakeJr
Retired PR Developer

A new class is born. The Kamikaze class.
How many will actually bail out if they know all they get on the ground is a pistol and a jar of peanutbutter? Not many. They rather dive their stricken craft into the ground and wait for a respawn praying, for whatever gofdorsaken reason, that the jar of peanutbutter survived the crash...

Disclaimer:
The jar of peanutbutter is doing a cameo appearance in this post and really have nothing to do with the mod. At least not that I know of.....

{ pretty sig removed construction on new one has not begun }
... yet ...
BlakeJr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-13, 14:25   #10
Wolfmaster
Retired PR Developer

lol you're starting to behave like artnez... and that's not a good sign. j/k

Wolfmaster is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
pilots, professional