project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2005-11-20, 20:57   #1
Artnez
Supporting Member

Default Low-res models of destroyed vehicles & dead infantry.

I was thinking about how important it is to have destroyed vehicles and bodies throughout the map. It signifies that an area might be a threat.

I was thinking if it's possible to take the vehicles in PR and make the destroyed view of these vehicles as low-poly and simple as possible (so that they dont hog the PC).

The same goes for infantry. Once they really "die", they would switch to a much more low poly mod.

Is this possible?

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Artnez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-20, 21:27   #2
Stu007

im no programmer, but Im sure it would be possible, instead of the body "fade-away" just switch to the low poly model, but they'd have to dissapear sometime, because you would have dead clones if you died twice or more, if you know what I mean, mind you, all the guys with the same kit look the same, but if they all remained and then they died again and others still remained it would look like the apocalypse. You would have to make the bodys dissapear when the guy dies in another spot.
Stu007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-20, 21:38   #3
Enforcer1975

Leaving destroyed vehicles makes gameplay a lot better especially when fighting in a city. Imagine a destroyed tank blocking a street??

Makes attackers think twice of they want to go head on against infantry in narrow roads with a tank.
Enforcer1975 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-20, 21:38   #4
GRB

The problem with the bodies staying longer is an issue with the game-engine that i dont think can be changed.

When a player dies, the body remains on the ground until that player respawns again. The players "body" is always his and is always "attached" to him, if you will. Thus when you are in critical condition, you are staring at the sky and when you actually die, you are looking at whatever is in front of you, until you spawn again...

So basically the only way to get the bodies to stay longer would be to have the player lay there in critical condition longer...When you die without going into critical condition, say from a tank shell, same thing applies, your players body stays there until you respawn again.

So...I think that how it is now is about as good as its gonna get.

Something i think that should be done is that when vehicles are destroyed, they dont come back for a much much longer time. That way we can have the destroyed vehicles stay there MUCH longer..

This will in turn cause a lot more infantry based tactics. Vehicles will also be used much more realistically so they dont lose thier assets. But thats another issue in itsself..
Last edited by GRB; 2005-11-20 at 21:41..
Old 2005-11-20, 22:44   #5
dawdler

The wreckage is a whole lot less polygons than the actual vehicle in the first place... But I also think that the wrecks should stay even longer and that spawn times should be increased. Vehicles are VERY powerfull in PRMM, sometimes 4 tanks rolling around can be a serious disaster for fun competetive gameplay, its more like a slaughterhouse.

Dont skimp on jeeps though. They always get left behind. Its not powerfull vehicles but fairly vital for movement. Some maps end up having an abundance on tanks on apcs but no jeeps whatsoever!!! That's just wrong. So in short: armoured wrecks can stay longer and have long respawn time, but light vehicles shouldnt have quite that long respawn or wreck time.
Last edited by dawdler; 2005-11-20 at 22:47..
Old 2005-11-20, 22:45   #6
Mad Max

Bring out the AT-4's and RPG-29's! That'll even the odds with that nasty armour!
Mad Max is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-21, 02:21   #7
Artnez
Supporting Member

GRB, you are wrong.

Someone has already created a prolonged body mod. The bodies all stayed around for the entire round and never disappeared. It was also tested online and it works.

This is not what I'm asking.

I'm asking if you can switch the dead bodies that are left lingering into a low-poly model with low-res textures so it doesn't effect performance as much.

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Artnez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-21, 03:45   #8
Noetheinner

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-PUB]Artnez.com
GRB, you are wrong.

Someone has already created a prolonged body mod. The bodies all stayed around for the entire round and never disappeared. It was also tested online and it works.

This is not what I'm asking.

I'm asking if you can switch the dead bodies that are left lingering into a low-poly model with low-res textures so it doesn't effect performance as much.
crap you beat me to the punch. You know, I like this idea. Using the wreaks for cover was amazing the first time I tried it, and now I'm scared that someone's gonna blow those up with an AT missle. I'd like the wreaks to stay. For the whole round. On the body thing, it sounds cool but I'm not sure what my position on it is.
Noetheinner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-21, 10:48   #9
Lifetaker

I'm all for wrecked vehicles taking longer to respawn. It gets pretty irritating when the same guy just keeps respawning at the armored vehicle and riding around blowing up individual troops with no concern for tactics. I really enjoy the ground pounding combat the best. That's where the skill is. I wouldn't even be opposed to not letting armored vehicles respawn at all during a match.
Lifetaker is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, destroyed, infantry, lowres, models, vehicles