project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Coding
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)

Old 2011-01-03, 21:34   #1
ukkis
Default [Vehicle] Patria AMV XA-360 [WIP](FDF)

Hello! o/

This is what I have been doing over the last months during my game development studies and other smaller projects.

The model now consists of about 7000 triangles.

Im more used to working with max 2010 than max9 so I had some serious problems with normal baking but then I discovered the new nDo plug-in for photoshop and ended up doing almost all the normals with it.
I dont know if it was the best decision but I guess it turned out ok.

Tell me what do you think. Feedback appreciated

AMV is not amused.

Last edited by ukkis; 2011-01-03 at 21:50..
Old 2011-01-03, 23:31   #2
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

Default re: [Vehicle] Patria AMV XA-360 [WIP] [FDF]

Looking rather good, but still loads of detailing on the texture to go.

But lets go over the flaws of the current model:

1) Big z fighting problems, remember that this is not a modern engine anymore and therefore you have to compensate for the z fighting that will occur with your current vehicle. I would personally spend the few extra tris on welding up some of the pieces that are hovering on the model and that can't be baked down in the texture for further level of details. D.etails to weld into the model would be stuff like the rings on the front
2) It seems like there isn't much of an AO if any on the vehicle, making it look rather bland
3) Detailing is needed in the texture, you need scratches on crew hatches, the front of the vehicle and so forth. basically any place that it can bang itself into something, so especially straight corners, the bottom and the like
4) It needs mud in the wheel section and on the side, I am not that good at it personally and it isn't always needed. its hard to get right, but it looks brilliant if done right.
5) The current base material is looking rather good, although i do miss some minor details in it. Currently the details in the base material are rather large, and a bit of random difference here and there would not hurt.

To sum it up, the model itself is looking good, but points of notice is the lack of enough shading, lack of minor detail in the texture, and the z fighting due to the engine

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto: "Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac"
[R-CON]Pantera : "maybe you might learn that we are not super intelligent beings chained in UKF's basement being forced to work on this".
motherdear is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 00:16   #3
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

i think the wheel polygons need to be centered to be animated

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 00:17   #4
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

To add to the engine specific stuff, I recall the weels needing a central vert for the texture to 'spin around'.

Looking really nice so far, though wasn't there a Patria already (being) modelled by one of the comfacs?

Edit: ninja'd by Andy
Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 00:22   #5
H.sta
Supporting Member

Patria has made several APCs

this one is one of the more recent creations, Norway is also looking into these

H.sta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 10:57   #6
ukkis

Quote:
1) Big z fighting problems, remember that this is not a modern engine anymore and therefore you have to compensate for the z fighting that will occur with your current vehicle. I would personally spend the few extra tris on welding up some of the pieces that are hovering on the model and that can't be baked down in the texture for further level of details. D.etails to weld into the model would be stuff like the rings on the front
Would you recommend welding all the hatches and that box on top of the vehicle too?
ukkis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 11:14   #7
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

I would not weld everything, but a lot of things would only raise the tri count by 10 tris max, such as the big box on top, the small handles and so forth. The Handles on the side i would not weld.

Red = weld
Green = delete in level of details

For a vehicle like this adding those extra tris would not hurt. Epically if it reduces the z-fighting. But for a vehicle like this depending on the details, i would recommend about 7-8k

The big box on top would most likely not give any Z-fighting, but by welding it in. you get a lot of texture estate by adding relatively few tris.

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto: "Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac"
[R-CON]Pantera : "maybe you might learn that we are not super intelligent beings chained in UKF's basement being forced to work on this".
Old 2011-01-04, 11:22   #8
ukkis

OK thanks motherdear. Im trying to do this not messing too much with the uv.

btw: the wheels are now fixed
Old 2011-01-04, 11:31   #9
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

In regards to the uvw just weld things up. then take a look at the uvw. break the points where they have been welded ( it will look a bit messy here i know) but you won't have too many regions to weld together.When you have broken the verts up it is just a matter of using target weld to get the islands back to their old shape.

Old 2011-01-04, 11:48   #10
ukkis

I will first try with boolean method. I hope this would work at least this time

Tags
amv, fdf, finnish, patria, poxo is ghey, vehicle, wip, wipfdf, xa360