project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
19 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2009-04-08, 22:11   #31
lust of A Gardener
Default Re: Crash to Desktop Vista x64 - NO, NOT the same as all the others

I have the CTD problem as well and it's really beginning to bug me.
It seems to happen after every two matches I have, and then immediatley sends me to the desktop.

Could it be a problem with my graphics card overheating?
I have a radeon x1950 pro 512mb
it's powered by a 530watt PSU which I was assured would run the card sucessfully.

I've never had the problem in BF vanilla.
Old 2009-04-08, 23:04   #32
bagpiperdude90
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust of A Gardener View Post
I have the CTD problem as well and it's really beginning to bug me.
It seems to happen after every two matches I have, and then immediatley sends me to the desktop.

Could it be a problem with my graphics card overheating?
I have a radeon x1950 pro 512mb
it's powered by a 530watt PSU which I was assured would run the card sucessfully.

I've never had the problem in BF vanilla.
That is a different issue then. You need to run PR in windowed mode and see if you get an error. Most likely its a memory issue, which you can fix by setting the texture size down to medium. If your card overheats, I'd venture to say that most likely you'd see pixelization or some distortion on the screen. BF2 won't overheat that card, though.

I'd suggest running it in windowed mode and see if you get an error when it crashes. Also, set textures to medium.

Read some of the FAQs - they should help you out.
Old 2009-06-20, 03:26   #33
KrimReefa

I have tried it all, replacing the bf2.exe file, running in window, run as administrator, medium gfx settings and still i get CTD

I have legit BF2 cd and have downloaded both core and level files.
Ran fine up until today ( 5 days worth )
I have Vista, the map will load then I go to deploy and then BANG crash to desktop

I have searched for a reality based game and have found it, now I can not play after 5 days.

Please Please help me get this back up and running.
Old 2009-07-04, 01:00   #34
StiPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiperdude90 View Post
That is a different issue then. You need to run PR in windowed mode and see if you get an error. Most likely its a memory issue, which you can fix by setting the texture size down to medium.
I don't think he has a memory issue.. I have this problem too, and I have also had the memory issue.

In my case, my game crashes to desktop about every 2nd match aswell, and i get no errors what so ever. And this never happened to BF2 vanilla.
Usually I get the CTD when i am loading the map (never the first map after launching PR, I always get to play at least one round, max three rounds).
So I play one round, and when I load the next map - and the loading completes, and it says something-something before you can press deploy, it may suddenly CTD.
However, it's not ALWAYS CTD in loading. It has happened in the middle of the game, but more frequently in end of loading.

When I get the memory issue, the "Windows Vista - loading circle"-thing shows up during map-loading, and i get a box with BF2 MEMORY FAIL.. ..or something like that - then it crashes aswell. I have never had this Memory error while playing. Always in the middle of the loading.

I also have something else that's kinda weird..
Even when I quit PR properly (which is not very often, because i usually play the game until one certain crash, and I don't bother starting again..) I get the fatal error sound, AND "Vista has.. blablabla error" and i can choose between "fix problem" and "close application". (But we all know, they really do the same thing). This also showes up on crash.
Anyway.. When i quit PR - doesn't matter how i quit it, same result either way - my desktop - background - image - picture - thing is gone! It's totally black! And I think that's a very unusual happening. It happens all the time.
I have a few other "fails" too, but I don't really know if they have something to do with this, but i'll post them here, and see if anyone else with CTD-problem have the same..

When I'm in a squad, and someone's talking using VoIP, sometimes the name-icon is either stuck, or won't show up. To fix this, i simply have to press caps lock twice, but it will happen again. I'm not sure how it happens. So - Sometimes, when nobody's talking, there's the name of one, two, or all of the squad members showing AS IF they were talking, OR the opposite - When they ARE talking, it says nothing.
It can also overlap eachother - showing the wrond guy speaking.
Reeeeally annoying as Medic..

I have also seen red "squad-member-talking" text, but I don't know if that is on purpose, or another bug.

I also had the pnkbstrcl or whatever - Punk Buster Client failing - that i fixed with updating the thing (thanks to this site) - And i also turned off UAC for the Vista account.(this gave me some trouble sometimes)

(And I find it weird that i sometimes get the BF2 Memory fail-message, because i exit every single un-needed process when i play games. But this is not my main problem. CTD is..)

I have 4GB Ram on Vista 32x
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz
Toshiba Qosmio X300 - this computer is made for playing BIG games

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME.

I don't even bother trying to solve this by reinstalling BF 2, and the patch, and the PR core and levels. I'd rather play with CTD, than going throug all that stuff, when i read here that reinstalling won't work.

FIX ME PLEEEASE
Old 2009-07-04, 08:08   #35
MAINERROR
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

@ StiPhone

Go ahead an try this. https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27...bit-users.html

Tags
crash, desktop, vista, x64