project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
19 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2009-07-20, 08:50   #1
sandgamer
Default [!] usage of pr-assets/textures on bf3 [solved]

Hello everyone!

(ANSWERED BY RHINO BELOW IN #5 - if anyone of the moderators would have the time, please fell free to now lock this thread. thank you)

There is something bugging me ever since the announcement of project reality moving on to the c4 engine: what about the stuff you guys made for the bf2 modification? May i use it on my map in bf3?

I am aware of the license text and the fact that it is all copyright of its creator.
So in order to port it all over to the bf3-engine it would require a lot of individual grants of usage, and a total portation would probably not be in the mind of the development team.

But that is not what i am intending, because for me it would not be possible to do all these portations alone. I am just a mapper that wants to basically conserve his map when porting it over to a bf3-engine. In order to maintain the legal right to do this i am working on custom textures and statics, but its impossible to create it all. (thoug i am trying on that )

What i want to know: would it be ok to port/integrate some minor assets or a few textures from the bf2mod pr to a bf3-micromod that holds all of my statics to populate my map, and please advise on a dev i should contact with individual requests/talk to about this in general?

To offer some examples of the assets i am talking about:
  • the pr stones: it is of course not impossible to make my own stones but i have used the pr stones manytimes on my map and the terrain/statics are realy dependend on them - i would have to change a lot of terrain and static placement if i had to replace these stones.
  • the 2 bushes (vegetation): i have problems creating my own...
  • sandbags-texture
I am aware that this personal list of required stuff might expand beyond a reasonable point while i continue on my map and run into more models/textures i just cant make, but maybe a general answer can be offered by somebody in charge?

Will it be allowed to port non-gameplay-relevant assets (no soldiers, no vehicles, no weapons, ...? only statics, vegetation or props, ...?) over to a bf3-mod for a pr-map portation over to bf3? (after, of course, getting the individual creator permission.)

[for those of you that were on the dc-final dev-team or those that ever had their own "greates map of the world for desert combat" in the works, only one day to find out that they sold out to EA and any further useage or portation to bf2 was illegal, that forced me to stop working, after 2 (!!! yes) years of development, ... well they will be able to undersstand why i had to ask this...and this sentence ]

thanks for taking the time to read this far
sg
Last edited by sandgamer; 2009-07-21 at 12:07..
Old 2009-07-21, 02:25   #2
Snazz
Supporting Member

Default Re: [?] usage of pr-assets/textures on bf3

Pardon me as I can't answer your questions but am replying anyway out of curiosity.

- Why you are worrying about BF3 compatibility at this stage?

Just considering that we don't really know anything about it, let alone confirmation whether it'll have mod tools.

- Why does it matter that PR2 is going to be on C4 instead of 'whatever BF3 is using'?

> Are you expecting the theoretical BF3 editor to be somewhat compatible with the BF2 editor?

BTW, digging your work so far.
Snazz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 02:42   #3
azreal64

I would advise you wait for more information to be released about Battlefield 3 before you start asking questions like this. All we know is that it is being worked on. We don't know what engine it is being done on or if it will have an editor and mod tool support or anything.
azreal64 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 07:24   #4
sandgamer

You 2 are correct,
i am asking this question at an very early, theoretical stage. But i am aiming for a more general answer/decision on the dev-team, that i believe they can make even now already:

should the bf3 game offer some comparable mod-tools, a comparable setup for maps, and so on (all theoretically in expectation of the best case), would the PR-Devs be willing to grant an individual mapper the right to integrate some bushes and stones into his bf3-map-portation or is this going to be a total no-go because they want their assets (and i mean all of them) exclusively on the new game they are developing under the c4-engine by the time bf3 takes over bf2 in regards to player base. [who needs a bf2/-mod map when everybody started playing bf3 & its mods...]

I have downloaded the c4-engine demo files and started to read the tutorials but i am afraid that after all i might stick with what ea might wanna offer me with the possible new tools...

I am not saving the world here, i am just making a map for a game. [and so i want people to play and enjoy my map] But i want to find out wether i am wasting my time and this will all end with the release of bf3 and pr2 on c4, or if i will be able to waste even more time once this assumed better battlefield 3 is released.[i might take very long to realy finish my map, even if i dont have to replace all pr assets on it by my own models, and i dont realy now how long this is going to be, but bf3 might have hit stores by then...]

Does this clear things up a little?

sg
sandgamer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 07:41   #5
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

no you can not use any of PR's assets, textures etc for a BF3 or any other mod you may wish to make without written permission from one of the high up devs and I can tell you now, you will need to offer something big in return before you can even think about sending any PMs to them asking to use our stuff.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 12:02   #6
sandgamer

thank you rhino for an estimation of how chances stand

(if anyone of the moderators would have the time, please fell free to now lock this thread. thank you)

sg
sandgamer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 14:52   #7
=USOR=Oleg-Russia

If bf3 would include bf3 eitor like bf2 , id like to say that all of the modelles should be remodeled,bf3 engine allows higher polycount,etc etc, so the quality of the models goes up.But i`m not sure if bf3 editor will be released with BF3,we all remember bf2142,how long we`ve been waiting for bf2142 editor,which never came up,due the dice and ea who don`t want to allow modders make any additional stuff for game ,so the game developers have abbility to make a new vehicles ,new maps and new story for a game as an expansion packs like bf2142 northern strike.Just for this reason they are not gonna release bf3 editor for bf3 (Battlefield bad company 2)
=USOR=Oleg-Russia is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bf3, pr assets or textures, prassets or textures, usage