project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2009-12-04, 23:31   #1
Ninja2dan
Retired PR Developer

Default Socket 754 mobo that supports DDR2 and AGP?

I'm not going to do a full systems upgrade to this computer, which is now about 3-5 years old depending on the components. I plan to build a completely new system from scratch when I get back from my deployment.

I currently have a Socket 754, but my mobo only supports DDR 184-pin. I have two options, purchase a paired set of new RAM (2x1024) or purchase a new motherboard that supports my processor and some RAM I purchased a while ago. I also use an AGP 8x 512MB video card, PCI-E is not an option.

The problem is, back in early '06 I bought some new RAM with the intention of upgrading my computer. I never got around to upgrading due to work and other stuff. The RAM is some nice DDR2, this link shows the specs and current price as well. I paid $240 for that set back then, and have never even taken it out of the box (literally, it came in a cool wooden presentation box).

So what's the problem? Well, I am sitting here for three years now with an unused set of 2GB RAM. And because it's not top-notch RAM anymore, it's not worth even close to what I paid for it, so there's no point trying to sell it.

This DDR2 RAM is going to be much better than 2GB of DDR PC3200 that my current mobo can use, and buying a new mobo would run around the same price as new DDR PC3200 2GB RAM anyways. In theory, I would have better performance with the DDR2 and new mobo. So I'd like to buy one if available, or else I'll just have to get some new DDR RAM and let the good stuff collect dust a little longer.

Long story short, does anyone know of a "good" motherboard that holds a Socket 754 AMD processor, and has support for both AGP and DDR2 PC4200 RAM? Links or even just manufacturer/model would be appreciated. I plan to keep the price below or around $100.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Ninja2dan; 2009-12-05 at 01:50..

Tags
754, agp, ddr2, mobo, socket, supports