project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Commander Tactics
04 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-02-26, 18:15   #1
ghoststorm11
Default Pr strategy and tactical Doctrine

Hey guys and gals,

I was just reading through some forums, and I would like to have as much input as possible.

I was thinking about putting together a book (more of just a long post) about Project Reality Strategical doctrine for people in the forums to use for there own knowledge.

I want to know specifically two aspects of the gameplay from you guys.

1. What strategies did you use (all the way from the tactical level to the grand strategic level)? How did they work? Which team was it used on (US, IDF, Hamas, China, Insurgents, ect...)? How much coordination did it take? What types of terrain or maps was it used on?

2. How did the players in the game respond to that order? Did it pass with flying colors, or did it flop? Could people comprehend the plan?

Even failed strategies are welcome here. Just send me what you know and would like to share.

Thanks,

-Ghoststorm11

Sorry admins. I didnt see the link to the strategies section. Could you please move it there?
Last edited by ghoststorm11; 2010-02-26 at 18:20..
Old 2010-02-26, 18:32   #2
Saobh
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Pr strategy and tactical Doctrine

Moved to "PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies"

But be reminded the tactics and strategies in PR are only really good for each release cycle. Small changes can have important impact on teamwork dynamic.

The only acceptable 'Lone Wolf' you'll be allowed to play : http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

Saobh is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 07:26   #3
Shaihuluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoststorm11 View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I was just reading through some forums, and I would like to have as much input as possible.

I was thinking about putting together a book (more of just a long post) about Project Reality Strategical doctrine for people in the forums to use for there own knowledge.

I want to know specifically two aspects of the gameplay from you guys.

1. What strategies did you use (all the way from the tactical level to the grand strategic level)? How did they work? Which team was it used on (US, IDF, Hamas, China, Insurgents, ect...)? How much coordination did it take? What types of terrain or maps was it used on?

2. How did the players in the game respond to that order? Did it pass with flying colors, or did it flop? Could people comprehend the plan?

Even failed strategies are welcome here. Just send me what you know and would like to share.

Thanks,

-Ghoststorm11

Sorry admins. I didnt see the link to the strategies section. Could you please move it there?
Yeah, I was interested in making a small .pdf on tactics a while back as well, was considering emulating the "commentary" style used by one of the millitary books I posted on here some time back (https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11...ghanistan.html). My initial intent was to play through maybe 5-6 matches with battlerecorder on and then do a debrief and show what went right/wrong during the most intense/tactical phases of them. It was a neat idea.

However, you might want to know the forums are awash in tactical guides and essays....

what I really think we need is just a compilation of all our guides into one manual instead of all over the place.

anyhow, I like the idea of making a tactical guide and would be willing to collaborate with you in publishing something if you're interested.
Last edited by Shaihuluid; 2010-02-27 at 07:48..
Old 2010-03-02, 20:22   #4
ghoststorm11

Yea, Any help would be great. I would like to have everything from IMTs (Infantry Movement techniques) to Grand Strategy.

For instance: How should two squads run bound and overwatch.

How to move down the road as a unit.

How to run different formations.

How to "pie" a corner.

How to command a tank squad.

How to use cover.

How to use the terrain.

How to use the MDMP (military Desicion making process) to formulate a master planned based on METT-TC.

Various other aspects.

The main aspect though is say for example:

Kashan 64player
Strategy Rush:
How to use INF
How to use Armor
How to use Air
Who supports whom....

Think we can do it?
ghoststorm11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 05:29   #5
Shaihuluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoststorm11 View Post
Yea, Any help would be great. I would like to have everything from IMTs (Infantry Movement techniques) to Grand Strategy.

For instance: How should two squads run bound and overwatch.

How to move down the road as a unit.

How to run different formations.

How to "pie" a corner.

How to command a tank squad.

How to use cover.

How to use the terrain.

How to use the MDMP (military Desicion making process) to formulate a master planned based on METT-TC.

Various other aspects.

The main aspect though is say for example:

Kashan 64player
Strategy Rush:
How to use INF
How to use Armor
How to use Air
Who supports whom....

Think we can do it?
Yeah, I'm all for it!

I don't know how you want to go about setting this thing up , but I would be certainly willing to contribute some articles to and proof-read/typo-check the document.

Personally, I'm interested in dealing with game-specific strategies and tactics from a pragmatic perspective. From my experience, very few true-to-life tactics work in PR, and While emphasizing real life tactical procedures can certainly be interesting, a lot of it just doesn't transfer over. Many Gaming guides fail to recognize that while games try to emulate real life, they can't possibly duplicate everything.

That said, I've got a hundred things on my plate right now. While I'd be happy to look-over and proof anything you've written, I expect to be out of action until the end of the month.

So... If you've got anything you want me to look over and give feedback to, just drop me an e-mail at --- (PM me).

For starting up, I'd suggest that we just write a few articles on what interests us, and then go about sorting them into specific categories for the finished document. However, if you had a specific format in your mind for this doecument, I'm fine with that too.

Anyhow,This sounds good. I look forward to working with you
Last edited by Shaihuluid; 2010-07-01 at 03:43..
Old 2010-03-24, 23:17   #6
goguapsy

I wrote this once...

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...ber-guide.html

Ignore the formations, though.

Hope I helped
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 05:27   #7
Scout_03

Basically I find that you should try your best to guide and advise squad leaders, as well as facilitate communication. They have the best view of their current situation, but you have the best view of the big picture. And, if you can predict the hostile movements, your situation, and team, will be that much better off in the long run.
Last edited by Scout_03; 2010-06-30 at 05:40..
Old 2010-06-30, 09:06   #8
Truism

These things all exist in readily accessible online documents. If people want them, they can find them. I don't see the value in posting this to be honest.

If you wanted to give people a crash course in the application of tactical theory, I'd be all for that though.
Truism is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 17:07   #9
Bunnyman

I think it can be useful since most poeple do not go and study military dogma and doctrine articles. Having someone that has collated material and giving hints on how to apply this to PR is a pretty good gimmick thing to bandy around the community, the more writers you get involved and the bigger the buzz around the project the more of a success it is likely to be. No disprespect to your individual knowledge but there is no shortage of personal views from armchair generals, so the more generic it is and the more you cite and apply different military ideas as well as studying various historical battles, formations, strategies, tactics etc the more popular the project will be and the more likely folks will take it seriously. I'd be up for helping.
Bunnyman is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
doctrine, strategy, tactical