project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-10-02, 20:26   #21
Tiger1
Supporting Member
Default Re: TomDackery Spews Tactics

TomDackery everything you've written could have been taken directly out of the TP manual.

Good to see you have the insight, tactical sense and overview of how things are run. Our boys are taught many drills one of which you mentioned at the end of your post. Peeling off. I have never seen others use it in the public before, we have used it and done it in public servers on several occasions. The public learns from this, by watching and learning.

Nice post.
Tiger1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 16:40   #22
Bunnyman

I think the OP is a mix of strategy, tactics and TTP which I reckon it's important not to mix because the decisions in each case lie with different guys- commanders, squad leaders, the squad consensus, individual infantrymen etc

Fire and movement bounding seems like a good basic drill which hasn't been mentioned- too obvious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcloak2 View Post
One thing I find that works with defending closed position in urban/forest environments is to place a guy or two outside of the position (if it can be spared). This means when the assaulters come:
1. You have a first warning so your defense is ready.
2. You hit the assaulters where they least expect it, from the outside.
3. The assaulters have little time to prepare right before they execute up against the outside of the perimeter because of the 2 guys on the outside.
I mentioned urban/forest because those 2 outside guys have to be hidden from assaulters till the right time.
This is spot-on I reckon and is a key part of advancing which is good TTP. I would also go so far as to suggest that when you overrun an enemy position and move onwards, that rather than leaving the position empty or bogging yourself down trying to garrison it, it may be better in most cases to leave an observation pair hidden outside of the position. A sniper can be good in this situation, if the position is retaken by the enemy he can pin them and in any case the observers can call in artillery or airstrike or just inform the advanced party that they have enemy behind them. I personally advise diagonal or sidewards advances after an overrun anyway, because it makes your movements less predictable and widens the hole you make in the enemy front. Reserve forces can then make a direct advance when the enemy tries to counterattack, your initial assault force are then better placed to return and flank that counterattack.
Last edited by Bunnyman; 2010-12-17 at 16:48..
Old 2010-12-26, 03:03   #23
Clooney

Some great stuff in here, the only thing is I never see squad leaders using these tactics. I wish I got a chance to be in a squad using these tactics =o
Clooney is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 16:00   #24
Bunnyman

I reckon a lot of clans have this kind of depth to their training and ways of doing things
Bunnyman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 11:31   #25
TomDackery

I started this while between clans. Its possible to do with pubs, but doing it with people who understand what you mean when you say it is a plus. (@Bunnyman)

Didn't even see that 'til now.
TomDackery is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 12:12   #26
dtacs
Supporting Member

Agree with everything in this guide. More common sense and intelligent tips instead of a full blown do this do that thing.

Tend to micromanage alot so 2ic's in some cases aren't needed.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
spews, strategies, tactics, tomdackery