project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
21 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2011-03-11, 00:51   #1
naughtyrhinos
Angry [Solved] [XP] Another installation problem, someone please help!

So I downloaded part 1 of v.95 absolutely with no trouble at all. I restarted my computer and then went back online to download part 2. I went to one of the websites listed in the download section to download and when I wanted to open the file up it said that windows could not open the file. In more detail it said:

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.

When I click ok in order for the web to go find a website, it comes back saying the program that created it is unknown. If I use the bittorrent download for v95 the same error occurs but instead of coming back with no search results it comes back with a software that is called FinalTorrent. I am unsure if this is safe to download. So if anyone can help me fix the problem, it would be much appreciated.
Old 2011-03-11, 01:27   #2
SnipeHunt
Supporting Member

Default Re: Another installation problem, someone please help!

I use utorrent. It seems safe, so far.... Download the program, install it, then try to download the files again. It will open the utorrent program and start downloading them.

http://www.utorrent.com/downloads

Best line yet...
Me: "Hey APC, Can I get a ride to squad 6?"
Unknown: "This APC ain't no Taxi!"
Old 2011-03-11, 06:23   #3
SnipingCoward

uTorrent is also my torrent client. But you do not have to download the torrent you can choose one of the other links which should give you the .exe directly.
However when downloading large files like this you should always try to use a download manager (i.e. like FDM or GetRight) as they will usually support resuming and have a corruption check. (torrent clients by default have resume support and corruption check)
Old 2011-03-11, 19:59   #4
naughtyrhinos

All is good now thank you both very much.

Tags
installation, problem, solved