project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2011-04-12, 12:44   #1
MAC$DRE
Default [video] LAT ballistics

This video focuses primarily on the ballistics and use of the AT-4 Light Anti-Tank weapon system. However, many (iron-sight) LAT and RPG kits have identical ballistics. Of course these ballistics and my conclusions are based on a game and not real physics. The angles in the video are described about the horizon = 0. This may be confusing, I'll try to make it more simple in relation to the target here. Relation to the horizon is important for inclined/declined shot. I.e., the trajectory is much different on a 300m target for angles of 0, -15 (shallow decline), -30(steep decline), +15, +30 degrees, etc.... it requires you to do some Trigonometry, whether you know you're doing it or not.

@ 0 degree (level w/ target), the general rule of thumb is +.5 degree for every 100m up to 200m. past 200m, +1 degree elevation per 100m, up to 600m.

@ inclined shot (the target is higher than you in elevation), the general rule of thumb is add +.5 degree to (0 degree) adjustments, up to 200m. At 300m you need to add +1 degree to adjustments (0degree) for every 100m. I.e., 400m shot would require +4 degrees for drop +2Degrees for elevation on target.

@ Declined shot (you are above the target in elevation), the general rule of thumb is that no adjustments need to be made out to 200m on small declines. No adjustments need to be made out to 250m on steep declines. At 300, +.5 is added for every 100m up to 500. past 500 you will rarely see a steep decline in PR so you will need to treat it as a shallow decline. at 1 degree for every 100m out to 700m.

any shots past 600m you should expect to take 1 or 2 shots before hitting. This is not because you suck, but because you will use the DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements) in your final shot. Use specific parts of the weapon as gauges and marks for distance, you are not limited to the sight! Deviation is GENERALLY 1 second per 100m. 700m shots require full 7-8 seconds of rest.

Some of you may recognize the song, "always" by Erasure, from the Robot Unicorn Attack game.
MAC$DRE is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 00:05   #2
Archerchef
Supporting Member

Default Re: [video] LAT ballistics

thx this helps alot
Archerchef is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 00:07   #3
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Nice video, I've actually been wondering how to exactly aim these LATs without rangefinders now, since I used to use the ranging of the binocs for that (but too lazy to figure it out for myself). Thanks for doing it for us.

Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 13:54   #4
PFunk

Think we could have a stand alone jpeg of that elevation chart you had superimposed briefly at the start of the vid (at about 14 seconds in)? Would be a nice reference.
PFunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 19:58   #5
Cavazos

I like DOPE That must have taken a lot of time. This is going to be THE go-to guide for LAT usage! At least.. for .95 anyway. lol
Last edited by Cavazos; 2011-04-15 at 16:00..

Tags
ballistics, lat, video