project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2011-05-21, 08:22   #1
Zemciugas

Default Re: [Map] Liberation (2km) [Concept]

Looks like this map is getting a lot of support. One thing for sure is that it will need to be scaled down to be playable and you don't need to stick to the actual buildings that are there. Looks interesting definately.
Zemciugas is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 08:46   #2
Reddeath

I know I do not need certain building's but there is no harm in having them if someone is willing to make any of them. Its all about the immersion, and not only would new statics help out my map, they would be in the game files for future maps.

It is worth a request.
Reddeath is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 18:40   #3
Shovel
Supporting Member

I may be able to make the shrine, but I am low on free time.

Shovel009
Shovel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 01:45   #4
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Looks good, can't see that much difference than the one before thou, although for the southern most CSB locations, I would still recommend my proposed ones here over what you have put on your map as the top one is the shortest location, but very exposed and would probably only be used if the bridge is blown up (with also the possibility of putting CSBs on the bridge, but that can have multiple sections blown) where the second location is very long but much more out of the way of the enemy's view. The one you have suggested seems to be a middle ground option, which you could have with the other two but I would recommend on having the two I suggested as its most likey that the player is going to choose one extreme depending on the situation rather than go for a middle ground option.

As for the GPO stuff, ye you have ages to finalize what you want to do there, important thing is you have an idea of what you want to have, details come later
With muttrah I hadn't decided on a final attack rout until quite some time into the build, although I knew generally what I wanted and even then that attack rout changed before its release too as I initially had things like 3 flags in the docks you had to capture before you moved on into south city, which turned to the one flag which we have today (with a few minor changes)

As for when you should start, starting right now is fine as very little changes with the mod in relation to what statics are removed as we can't remove statics which are already in use in maps without removing them from the maps, which is a tricky operation as you need to redo lightmaps etc
Just keep an eye on this topic and if your unsure about any statics, ask if they are ok and we will let you know
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f35...your-maps.html

But no reason why not to start right away, and you don't even really need to update your PR_EDIT unless you plan on setting up GPOs for your map, and even then you don't really need to either, only when vehicles have been renamed or new ones added

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 19:01   #5
Reddeath

That would be awesome man, I promise you this wont happen over night so you got plenty of time
Old 2011-05-21, 21:21   #6
Shovel
Supporting Member

20476142.jpg

This is what you mean by the shrine, right?

It is relatively simple looking, I'll get started.

Shovel009
Old 2011-05-21, 21:37   #7
Reddeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
Attachment 6277

This is what you mean by the shrine, right?

It is relatively simple looking, I'll get started.
Yes, I appreciate this so much, thank you.
Old 2011-05-22, 14:43   #8
Shovel
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddeath View Post
Yes, I appreciate this so much, thank you.
I have the base done for the most part.

[/QUOTE]

Can someone with more experience modeling give me some advice?

Shovel009
Old 2011-05-22, 15:15   #9
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddeath View Post
Trying to figure the editor out, messing around with it placing buildings and discovering my options I keeping running into this error when attempting to preview certain objects.

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Battlefield 2\BF2Editor.exe

R6025
-pure virtual function call

and then BF2Editor crashes.
The only topics I can find relating to that error are it seems something down to the SP editor or something. Are you sure you have unloaded the SP editor in the add-ins manager?
Runtime Error! R6025-pure virtual function call - Official BF Editor Forums

Also just on another unrelated point that has just come to mind, there is a good chance that the MEC is going to have some amphibious vehicles since most of there APCs etc are amphibious so you need to keep in mind that the MEC may be able to flank there APCs around the west side from one dock to the other if you put ramps in convenient locations for it. This is something you may or may not want but something to keep in mind. TBH since the Rebels are unlikely to have any amphibious APCs, or a very small number of them, I would let the MEC do it but not make it so convenient to them with them having to do a pretty long swim to get up etc. I can go into this more later if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Denmark View Post
Just wanna say, that the map, from a planning wise perspective, seems close to Ejod Dessert, thus the map it self, doesn't seem to bring so much new challenge to the CO function. Any new content, therefore has to be faction-related.

Ejod Dessert was/is a Simplicity-Complexity-Simplicity map. This map is the same, just the other way around. Complexity-Simplicity-Complexity, although the southern complexity - from the looks of it, seem lees complex than the northern part.
.... I dunno what you have been smoking but this map hardly relates to EJOD other than both maps have urban areas, although in the case of this map 75% of the map is urban rather than 25% of the map like EJOD...

The key design around EJOD was a city bang in the middle of the two forces, with both forces having to cross an open desert to get there and with the option of flanking around both sides of the city as well in a mirror balance setup. This map couldn't be further from this concept if it tried tbh and I hope I don't need to go into all the reasons why...

Quote:
It looks like a shooter map, more than a CO map, due to the fact the CO part is quite simple, when compared to the shooter part. Ill say 5-10 hours maximum, after having the timings made, then a experienced co-player, begin to run out of planning-wise options here.
So no different from most other PR maps then... The commander role is quite a simple boring role although hard in the sense to get the players on the ground taking your orders, which is why very few players play it.

Quote:
Also, the bottlenecks in the centre, being the bridge and stadium areas, are from a planning-perspective, almost sure to become important objectives, thus potentially repeatable objectives too.
The MEC team will have overwhelming firepower to be able to brake though these bottlenecks quite easily with there tanks etc, which only if they loose them which then ye this situation may occur but its unlikely that they will be destroyed at this stage in the battle so its more likely you will see the battle going more into the city before any real stalemate happens.

Quote:
I hope my words doesn't sound hard or arrogant, they are not intended to sound like that. Its just that I have made tons of plans on PR maps, so unless the map has some underground passage, or randomly spawning, or randomly reinforcements-feature, 128 players+, - then the fun of the battle, will most probably end up being search/find/shoot/base-of-fire/assault-teams. Thus more 3D fun, not so much 2D fun.
This map is hardly going to be an ordinary map in the way its currently going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
Can someone with more experience modeling give me some advice?[/QUOTE]

Looks good so far although don't get too carried away with making too many 3D details (although this model looks like it needs quite a few) and try and have a plan for how your going to do the LODs. Also rather than wire frames etc can you post edged faces and also you should keep your eye on the tri count, not poly count. In fact just read this topic
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...de-assets.html

You should check the dimensions thou against what it needs to be in the map so your not stretching/squishing the model later to get it the right scale.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 21:10   #10
Michael_Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post

.... I dunno what you have been smoking but this map hardly relates to EJOD other than both maps have urban areas, although in the case of this map 75% of the map is urban rather than 25% of the map like EJOD...

The key design around EJOD was a city bang in the middle of the two forces, with both forces having to cross an open desert to get there and with the option of flanking around both sides of the city as well in a mirror balance setup. This map couldn't be further from this concept if it tried tbh and I hope I don't need to go into all the reasons why...

So no different from most other PR maps then... The commander role is quite a simple boring role although hard in the sense to get the players on the ground taking your orders, which is why very few players play it.

The MEC team will have overwhelming firepower to be able to brake though these bottlenecks quite easily with there tanks etc, which only if they loose them which then ye this situation may occur but its unlikely that they will be destroyed at this stage in the battle so its more likely you will see the battle going more into the city before any real stalemate happens.

This map is hardly going to be an ordinary map in the way its currently going.
Hi Rhino,

See, when viewed conventionally, I agree this map hardly relates to Ejod. However, what I am talking about is something else, namely the co-planning-perspective.

In that planning-dynamic, it doesn't matter whether the map-content is urban, mountain or forest, cause those are all -"only" specific factors anyhow.

So in the end, a PR map is planning wise, always squeezed down to either complexity and / or simplicity. Fortunately all maps in PR have both complexity and simplicity embedded, -this map included, and sometimes PR maps have more complexity, and sometimes they have less simplicity.

Again, viewed from the co-planning-perspective, this map is - respectfully - in-fact really close to Ejod, due to the similar patterns on both maps, consisting of two similar areas and one area opposite to the two first.
  • On Ejod the two similar dessert-areas are titled Simplicity and the third opposite city-area, titled Complexity.
  • On this map it is two similar urban-areas, titled Complexity and a third and opposite Bridge/Stadium-area, titled Simplicity.

So planning wise there is not much new I see on this map, compared to Ejod.

I'm actually a bit sad when I read your words about the co-function being boring, cause your an experienced developer, -and the reason players see it as boring is without any doubt not as simplistic as you present it.

I will extend the part of the CO guide, related to the planning part, so this map-issue hopefully gets more lighted up. I hope the map-maker wont see my opinions as criticism, cause that they aren't. I'm simply just trying to point out potential map-flaws, related to the co-function only.

I trust the embedded faction-fire-power will be able to deal with those embedded bottle-necks.

Edit:

Pictures inserted.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Michael_Denmark; 2011-05-23 at 14:20..

Tags
2km, benghazi, concept, liberation, map, wip