Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2011-05-14, 15:22   #1
General Dragosh

Default [Win 7] [Solved] PR and RAM Speed/timings

Hello thar lads,

to cut it short, after buying new GPU id thought id get a big FPS boost on maps, turns out not so much.

Then after some time cruzing through the webs i think that ram might have something to do with that, well i think.

Since my 4 rams work at 4-4-4-12, so this is more of a request to the people out there with faster ram

Could anyone that has fast ram timings set them down to 4-4-4-12 and see if there is a performance difference, mainly in FPS.

If someone could do that and tell me the result i would be very grateful

Sys spec:

AMD Athlon x2 6000+
GTX 560 Ti
Win7 Ulti 32
4 gigs of stick's ram
(ddr2, i bought 3 of those at different times, so a 2 gig and 1 one gig and 2 512 ones, and i guess they have different timings and i can conclude that the faster one runs slower because the slowest drags everything else arround)
Here are their stuff
1GB DDR2-533
512 DDR2-667
2GB DDR2-800
I have a friend that has almost exact sys spec except he has newer rams and he has faster FPS
So my logical conclusion would be that its the slow ram fault

Well i will reinstall win in a maybe a month or so, maybe things will be better, who knows

BTW. this is mostly for urban maps, like muttrah(fav map ^^) i do get somewhere between 17-30 FPS, 17 being city heart or looking at it
Last edited by General Dragosh; 2011-05-27 at 23:04..
Old 2011-05-27, 01:16   #2
General Dragosh

Default Re: PR and RAM Speed/timings

Trali la li la, so anyone ?
Old 2011-05-27, 05:50   #3
Gaz
Banned
Supporting Member

You have 4 rams. 4 x 128mb sticks?? What size are the rams and have you updated the ram drivers? :P

If you want an intelligent answer, what are your sys specs, plus your GPU specs? I can tell you now it isn't your RAM latency, unless you're running DDR333.
Last edited by Gaz; 2011-05-27 at 09:05..
Old 2011-05-27, 11:55   #4
Pesticide
Supporting Member

dont mess with ram settings if you dont know what youre doing, the speedboost wont be more then a couple of percentage points and youll pay dearly with instability and corrupted files. Not worth it.

Proud member of Forgotten Honor Tournament.
http://www.forgottenhonor.com
Broadcasting PR live from big servers every week http://www.justin.tv/pesticide/videos
Old 2011-05-27, 16:06   #5
Pedz
Supporting Member

Whats the rest of your PC specs, maybe we can pin-point the source of your lagg elsewhere... Ram timings do little compared to the speed of it (FSB speed) if its 333mhz, try pushing it to go 350 or 400, dependant on the quality of the ram..

Old 2011-05-27, 22:55   #6
General Dragosh

Update Top =P
Old 2011-05-28, 09:10   #7
Pedz
Supporting Member

Errr, I think i see the problem. I assume your motherboard has 4 ram slots for dual channel ram?

If so, the fact your ram doesnt match up, is a reason for slow performance.. The best thing to do it to get two ram chips that are exactly the same, model, serial and all that, even if bought at different times, but the same make/model can cause problems. But yes dual channel requires the ram to be the same...

Old 2011-07-22, 16:47   #8
General Dragosh

Well this is kinda solved id say

I Have bought some new ram so now my best ram from before is the same model i bought now i have 2x2gb Same model ram.

The FPS is much better, i get 36 at muttrah and much less stuttering at times, so all is well

On top of it i reinstalled to Win7-64 just for the lulz(was about time for a reinstall anyway)

And i got a new cpu as well Phenom II 945, all in all its good

=D

Tags
ram, solved, speed or timings, win