project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-05, 19:11   #1
saxen
Default Suggestion, but cant post in the right forum !

Anyway!

I have a simple idea that could help with the identification of ze enemy / friendly!

How about just adding a picture/playermodel of the uniforms when you press I, it could be right above or next to the flags and you would get the idea how the enemy/friendly looks like!

Yes it would be useless later on when you know how they look like, but think about the new guys joining. (and for those with crap memory (me))

Thoughts?

All i know is that it would help me alot!

(sorry for wrong forum, but couldn't withouth postwhoring :P )

// Brickhead
Old 2011-09-05, 19:24   #2
Spec
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

Default Re: Suggestion, but cant post in the right forum !

Quote:
(sorry for wrong forum, but couldn't withouth postwhoring :P )
Postwhoring would've gotten you in trouble, so the only option for being allowed to post suggestions would have been sticking around for a while, learn about the way things are usually being handled at the forums, and learning about what type of suggestions are likely to get through or are probably hardcoded.

This system is in place on purpose. So suggestions are NOT made by inexperienced users. This means that suggestions being made by users outside of the suggestions section will lead to the thread swiftly being locked and the user possibly being warned or worse, depending on how often it happened. Really, if you find that a certain forum section has a post limit, that's probably not there so you post the stuff that belongs there elsewhere.

About the suggestion itself: PR has always aimed at a system with minimal HUD clutter and high realism, even at the expense of situational awareness of the users. This is why, for example, the infantry minimap was removed, and opening the map takes a few seconds (yes, that's on purpose!). They don't want you to be able to easily identify targets at long range. This suggestion (as any long time forum user would've known - again, that's why there's a post limit) does not fit the theme of the mod. Edit: Surely, noone would mind if you just kept pictures of the uniforms on a secondary screen/printed out for your own aid. I actually made pictures of all uniforms (missing US Army Woodland though for some reason) to help people that way.
Additionally, it's most likely hardcoded. Reading these forums for a while, you'd have figured out what type of thing would work in BF2 and what wouldn't. Generally, the devs cannot just add a new feature. They can only take what Battlefield 2 already has, and change it a bit. The kit request system for example: The interface is just a changed version of the existing comm-rose of Battlefield 2, the kit pickup system was already present in BF2, too - they merely linked the two.

There is nothing in BF2 that remotely resembles what you suggest. They can't even add more than 8 seats to vehicles because there isn't any keys for it, they certainly can't just take the I key and attach a completely new function to it.

I hope I didn't sound too harsh, but I figured it'd be better to explain you in-depth why this is going to be locked before that happens. Please don't feel personally attacked, that was not my intention, you're of course welcome to the forums!

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Last edited by [R-MOD]Spec; 2011-09-05 at 19:56..
Old 2011-09-05, 19:43   #3
goguapsy

saxen, if you play the game for a bit, identifying enemies will become second-nature, so don't worry, you will not have trouble in no time!
Old 2011-09-05, 20:23   #4
saxen

I started playing PR at about 0.8 or 0.7 so im not a "newb" in the genera.
Just because i dont post much dosnt mean i dont read the forums.

And about aiming for realism, do you think it would be unrealistic for an army to give their soldiers pictures of the uniforms of their opponents?

It would not clutter the UI as you can only see it when you Hit I and the entire screen is filled with stats and flags.

After reading some more i think you missunderstood me completly.

All i want is a picture of the uniforms of "teams" while you press I beside the flags.
Thats it. It would not be more complicated then adding the pictures of the flags over the team stats.

edit:

This is mostly for helping new players getting into the game easyer.
Old 2011-09-05, 20:37   #5
Spec
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Thats it. It would not be more complicated then adding the pictures of the flags over the team stats.
I misunderstood a part of the suggestion, I thought you wanted it to be more interactive, with pressing a button to show the uniform of your target. What you suggest might not be hardcoded.

Yet, if you're a PR veteran, you're even more likely to understand the reason for the post limit in the suggestion area. Even if this suggestion is completely justified - it's still going to get locked and unconsidered outside the suggestions section. Still, as I said, the devs aren't likely to put these pictures into the game, and I still doubt it's possible to link their appearance to a new key. It'd have to be a side effect of one of the existing keys. Simple pictures I did provide, or you can make your own in a local game with a friend to spawn as each type of soldier for you, and then print them or something. Once the guide is back online (if that'll ever happen), I'm sure it'll include such pictures, too. But this thread will still likely get locked, which, given your (and I don't doubt the honesty of it) intention to help new players, is a shame.

I apologize for not checking your registration date, but as a long time user you should've understood the way the suggestion forum works, already.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 2011-09-05, 20:41   #6
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

we dont get pictures, nor gps maps to tell us where friendlies are. We get radio transmissions telling us which areas have friendlies and the rest is keeping your eyes peeled in real life. All we need to know is, they are not wearing the same thing i am in game, consider yourself lucky you dont have to work with a different uniform on the same team.

Information in the hands of a critical thinker is invaluable, information alone is simply dangerous.
Old 2011-09-05, 20:59   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerof_D View Post
we dont get pictures, nor gps maps to tell us where friendlies are. We get radio transmissions telling us which areas have friendlies and the rest is keeping your eyes peeled in real life. All we need to know is, they are not wearing the same thing i am in game, consider yourself lucky you dont have to work with a different uniform on the same team.
Canadian forces =/= well equipped. There you go.
Old 2011-09-05, 21:18   #8
TheComedian

Spec deserves a medal for his efforts.
Old 2011-09-05, 21:26   #9
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

It's not hard to tell the difference.

Russia green Militia browner
USA short M4 MEC long G3

Also the sounds of each rifle is the biggest clue

When you spawn check out your teams uniform and in your first contact or enemy dead check out theirs.
Old 2011-09-05, 22:13   #10
Thermis
Retired PR Developer

Suggestion outside of suggestion section.

Regardless of how well intended, rules are rules.

Locked.
Closed Thread

Tags
forum, post, suggestion