project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > African Resistance Fighters
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
African Resistance Fighters Discussion pertaining to the African Resistance Fighters (ARF) faction.

Old 2010-10-05, 01:41   #21
162eRI
Default Re: Discussion: ARF Voices

Well, there are quite a lot of African French speakers at my university in Quebec. My tutor is from Cameroun and speak French with a light African accentuation... I think I could ask him to do it or find African friends to do it... But asking someone is the easiest part, doing the recording and all the sound stuff is harder. Will let you know.

As for now, the EU mixed European voices is a good choice as a start, rather than having the ARF speaking exactly the same voices than the French army on the same map... weird!
Old 2010-10-05, 03:38   #22
GeorgRavioli
Supporting Member

Ah damn, this is going to be a really difficult one. I personally think we should use african languages if we have more than one faction, but for example, if you've read A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah, the Sierra Leoneans generally speak english with a very thick African accent and grammar. If we could get some Nicaraguan rappers over here or something I'm sure it would work .

Old 2011-01-29, 11:35   #23
puckett
Banned

Some of the people in here mentioned people they know who have a African accent. I think that should be the best option or no voice at all... I mean the EU accent would just sound stupid on a ARF player model to be honest. The people who mentioned possible resources really need to step up and ask or else I feel this faction would be dead without proper voices.
Old 2011-02-25, 23:31   #24
simeon5541

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]ChiefRyza View Post
Hello all, I think this is a very important topic regarding the ARF faction and needs strong attention. While it has been discussed a small amount in other threads, we should pull together ideas on what the voiceovers should sound like, what accents to use etc.

From my understanding there are so many languages throughout Africa it would be impossible and against the nature of the faction to choose one so specific. Seeing as the official language of many African nations are either French or English, we should focus on creating a consistent collection of voices.

I personally think that English should be used primarily with African accents. This would easily distinguish the force itself and remain relatively accurate. Maybe also, have small bits of French dialogue mixed throughout (To signify some soldiers knowing both French, and English). If we attempt to mix the two completely there will be problems with the faction being a mixed lingual unit (which doesn't exactly work in real life - eg. Canadian Forces ).

On the other hand if we have only one, either pure French or pure English, it might not be representative enough of the faction being from a large collection of African nations.

Anyway, I'm just throwing this out there because I think it needs to be discussed and worked on ASAP. I'm sure if we band together we can get the voice acting for the ARF done as difficult as it may be.
Use EU voices from Euro Force.
Old 2011-03-10, 01:08   #25
Jupil@ire

If you do create their own voices, please do it in English with African accent. I mean, being realistic is to imagine what language they would use if they'd gather up to fight. Even if a lot of countries speak French, the French language is very much seen as related to colonialism and tradition. On the other side English is not only a colonial language. It is more considered as a useful and attractive business language. If they had to choose a common language for strategical and military reasons, they'd certainly would choose English.

But generally, I'd say you need to do the effort of recording those voices. PR voices are pretty funny, but not yet ridiculous. Putting Euro voices would just screw up the faction. I mean don't do it only to get the faction ready. As a player I'd rather wait for this faction, then to hear that during 3 hours of a game.
Old 2011-11-14, 01:37   #26
simeon5541

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]VapoMan View Post
If there is anyone with good recording equipment in Perth Western Australia, in my school there are lots of potential voice actors from Africa due to the many english learning classes. Not sure if they would be interested or how I would ask, since most dont understand english very well.
Just give them paper with voice commands to read in front of mic and
it would sound perfect,if you say they have bad English accent !! And buy them a beer after !
Black people also have quite different voices than white ones.
Old 2011-11-14, 11:46   #27
AK47 WARRIOR

Please will you guys finish wit this faction voices immediately you are halting the faction's progres

im waiting for too long
Old 2011-11-14, 13:08   #28
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Yes, because complaining about something is going to make development go by faster...

Old 2011-11-14, 18:16   #29
Sizum85

Is Swahili an option?
Old 2011-11-14, 20:43   #30
Sgt_Doctor

We are going to use the EF voices. If it really sounds not good, we could use the Arabian voices.

Thanks for you attention.

Tags
arf, discussion, voices