project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
25 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2012-06-27, 02:05   #1
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator
Default Iron Eagle minimap

The mini map, and out of bounds setup doesn't work, and its just not worth the effort, a kashan style setup with normal mini map, and unlimited out of bounds would be much better. I have only killed myself a few time on this map with the out of bounds, but centering the minimap is near impossible, and therefore doing gun runs and bomb runs when looking at the map for range to attack marker becomes much more difficult. The kashan style is fine, and is much simpler.

Btw, the MEC runway has killed me, and others I have talked to on what seem like perfect landings, I have approached at low speed, and low altitude, touched down normal and instantly exploded, and I have gone through much harder landings on other maps.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 03:20   #2
AFsoccer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Iron Eagle minimap

Thanks Chris. The minimap and out of bounds is already fixed and ready for the next release.

In regards to the MEC runway hurting planes... any idea why it's different than the IDF runway? Are you running into an invisible surface, etc.? Anything you can add would be helpful. Is it the MEC jet maybe?

AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 19:34   #3
chrisweb89

No idea what it might be, I have only blown up landing from the south on the MEC runway, about 20m from the hesco. But I have also survived landings in the same place. I don't think its the jet either, on kashan or silent eagle the MIG is fine, and I've had some bad landings on silent eagle that I have survived. Landing from the north I have yet to blow up, but I also don't do it nearly as often.

Maybe putting in a runway model like most other runways would help, instead of landing on the ground? I have no idea though what the issue could be, and I have regularly landed on the ground on other maps and its the same as a runway.
Old 2012-06-27, 21:30   #4
40mmrain
Supporting Member

the map is fixed? excellent news.

It's manageable, but it's certainly annoying, thanks devs.
40mmrain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 22:16   #5
AFsoccer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Ok, thanks. I'll look into it and have the testers specifically check this.

Old 2012-07-06, 06:27   #6
AFsoccer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Well, both bases had the same runway static so I think the problem was how the terrain was painted. The IDF base is all dirt (so under the runway is a dirt material), while the MEC base was asphalt under the runway. This may have dealt more damage or more more damage bleed through.

I re-painted that portion of the MEC base so hopefully that will solve the problem as both runways are identical now (except for altitude). I'll ask the testers to specifically check it out and if all goes well, the change will be in v1.0.

Old 2012-07-06, 10:53   #7
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Unlikely to be the terrain material, since currently the jets use the same rubber material as APCs etc and it to dirt and concrete has a damage mod of 0, although wouldn't rule it out fully. Also runways should really be the concrete material rather than tarmac but not a big deal there and take it it needs to be tarmac for other parts of the map.

Really the air bases on IE need to be replaced with the new ones.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 18:30   #8
chrisweb89

Other than the issue of blowing up on landing, whats wrong with the airbase?
Old 2012-07-07, 00:02   #9
AFsoccer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Rhino, I'd love to have custom airbases like your tutorial explains, but we just don't have the time and talent to do that. If the testers have the same problems Chris reported, then we'll try using the destroyable runways that are 3D (but they have their own issues so I don't want to use them straight away).

Old 2012-07-10, 21:35   #10
FLAP_BRBGOING2MOON

if this helps at all, one time i witnessed a friend of mine attempt to land on the mec runway. he came in losing altitude, a real five star landing.. except for the fact his gear wasn't down. does the altitude have anything to do with the jets gear coming down at low speed? if so that might be the issue.
FLAP_BRBGOING2MOON is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
eagle, iron, minimap