project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
26 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2012-07-30, 19:47   #1
CanuckCommander
Default [Is this possible?] New Missile Guidance System for PR

Is it possible to tag a laser target box on a fast moving aircraft using an invisible missile projectile as its carrier? I want to simulate a difference between radar and heat seeking missiles.

My question is would the laser be able to stick onto a moving jet? Say I make a radar ability that sees all heat objects out to 2km. I would then lock onto the heat object with my radar then fire an invisible and super fast flying missile at the heat object, say a jet. Attached to this invisible missile, which simulates a tracking radar beam, is a laser object. If the laser object sticks to the enemy jet, then I would have an successful radar lock.

I would then switch to my long range radar guided missile that tracks laser objects to fire at the target. Of course radar missiles wouldn't be affected by flares, so a new counter measure would be needed that blocks the jet's signature.
CanuckCommander is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 21:35   #2
SShadowFox
Default Re: [Is this possible?] New Missile Guidance System for PR

Yes, the DEVs can make something like the Laser Guided Weapons but guided by the 'radar' which will be the laser target on the plane acting as a radar, which will guide the 'radar' beam that will create a radar target for the radar guided missile, yes, the DEVs can!

Then, they'll need to create the CHAFF system, and maybe it'll be a little hard in the beginning to use X to deploy flares and other button to deploy CHAFFs...

There's already the 'Radar Guided Missiles' but they act like Heat Seekers, the difference is the larger range.
SShadowFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 00:47   #3
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

far too many complications with this idea for it to really be workable.

For a start, having the laser box "stick to a jet", when flying at super fast speeds, I very much doubt it would stick even if guided by the heat sig... The reason why the SOFLAM laser flies at such a slow rate ingame is because if it goes any faster, it doesn't stick to objects. If we could have it "flying at the speed of light", we would

Also its worth noting this sticky object thing would be affected by flares, and the pilot would know when you have locked on with the sticky lase object, and would get a lock on tone...

The next is that if you made this system and got it working, then air to ground weapons, mainly Brimstone, Mavericks, hellfires etc could all then be used against aircraft... Not to also mention the "Radar" AA weapons would also be able to lock onto ground targets. We only have two type of targets in BF2, Heat and Lase, and we can't add any more. Its bad enough making an Anti-Ship missile having to track a lase target as it means that it is possible to lock it onto SOFLAM lases too (although made it so it dose no damage vs normal ground targets, but the fact that it can lock on and fly towards etc is bad enough even so...).

As for Foxes chaff idea, it would affect air to ground weapons too and could be used to protect ground targets.

At the end of the day, the only advantage of this system even if you got the sticky bit working, would you would have one more step, while slightly realistic, the way it would work would be very unrealistic and adds far more complication, than just having radar missiles, following heat sigs, but having a much longer range than IR missiles, which is only really useful anyways on maps with very long VDs.

TLDR: too many problems, no real gain.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 01:17   #4
=HCM= Shwedor

Would be neat to use if the Canadian faction had the ADATS system ingame, or maybe even for the British Stormer HVM system...
=HCM= Shwedor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 01:36   #5
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =HCM= Shwedor View Post
Would be neat to use if the Canadian faction had the ADATS system ingame, or maybe even for the British Stormer HVM system...
If your talking about having some AA missiles being able to be used against ground targets, then the above suggestion has nothing to do about that and wouldn't allow it either...

If you wanted that the best system would be to add a new, mag linked weapon to the AA weapon, that uses the same missile but the targeting system instead of being able to lock onto heat targets, would simply be wire guided or TV guided (terms of ingame code guiding, not r/l guiding) so it would be a lot like other AT weapons ingame, but using it would use up your AA missiles.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 18:11   #6
SShadowFox

A little off topic, but as it is talking about the guidance system, shouldn't the HELLFIRES fly over the target then fall straight down like the Javelin? If yes, it's possible to do on PR?
SShadowFox is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
guidance, missile, system