project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2013-07-05, 23:09   #1
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

Default Commander UAV Feedback and Ideas

I have been very happy with the changes made to the Commander UAV
However I understand the need for balance, and that it may be a little overpowered atm
Regardless, I would really like to see an alternative solution to reintroducing refueling times

Let's be honest... the Commander is always either stuck at main, or building FOBs
The Commander is an incredibly important role, and the UAV is an important tool
However it doesn't feel like these two things integrate into the game as well as they could

Instead of forcing the Commander to stay at main, or just build FOBs...
We could combine the two into a more interesting and engaging role

My idea: (this may be hardcoded, but its still something I think would be great)
Commander Vehicle and/or FOB constructed Command Station.

The Command Vehicle would be a mobile command station, that allows the commander to both access the UAV and command forces from a moving perspective. The Command Vehicle could also carry a single large crate, which would allow the Commander to build FOB's while also functioning in the field as a minor logistics unit.

The UAV would still have unlimited fuel, but would be tied to this Vehicle, and could only be deployed within a fixed range of the Vehicle. This means that if the Commander wishes to get an Aerial view of an enemy held objective, he must first get within a certain range of the objective. This would require some strategy, since the UAV would no longer be just an immortal eye in the sky...

This would make the UAV less over powered, since the enemy will have the ability to destroy the command station, however it would also keep the Commander more involved, since instead of just having to derp around until the refueling times are over, he could focus on taking care of his asset and supporting the team, much like tank crews.

An alternative method to this would be to implement a FOB Command structure, that does the same thing as the command vehicle, but is instead a fixed position that can only be built next to fobs.

Ultimately of course, this is just an idea, mainly I just want to discuss alternatives to bringing back refueling times, and also discuss ways on making the Commander role more interesting. I'm interested in hearing feedback on this idea, and also suggestions on different ways to tweak the Commander to be more engaging overall.

Last edited by Bluedrake42; 2013-07-06 at 00:55..
Old 2013-07-05, 23:24   #2
Gracler

Default Re: Commander UAV Feedback and Ideas

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before but i fully support something like this.

I'd even go one step further and engage myself in creating a commander vehicle and see If I can make it work.

I was thinking something that would be reversed of a normal vehicle.

seat F1 is the commander seat that works the same as the current uav trailer

If F2 (driver) is occupied then the vehicle will undeploy and prepare for going mobile.

The vehicle can only be occupied by a commander.... no-one else would be able to drive it.

It should be able to spawn near it when it is parked for some time....

The uav should definitely have some refueling time again.... it will add some balance and it would give the commander some relief time..... staring at a spinning map for hours is a bit tedious.

I know this idea is in deep water but..... if the mini-map was removed from everyone except commander, then the command vehicle would give proximity mini-map information team wide of where friendly's are.... like in a 1000 m. radius of the vehicle. That would imitate that the commander is concentrating on friendly movement updates in that region. I also like Bluedrakes suggestion though of having the UAV deploy near the trailer.
Last edited by Gracler; 2013-07-05 at 23:39..
Old 2013-07-06, 00:55   #3
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

if you started working on something, I'd love to help you test it

Bluedrake42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 03:33   #4
Gracler

I appreciate that but this project is in the future as i have other things to attend to first
Gracler is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 08:29   #5
iowajohn

I like no re-fuels. But its also an instant arrival type situation too. What if there were deployment time delays (and extraction), but once it was there it would be active until you decided to relocate its position. Perhaps the deley times could be reletive to the distance from your command post.
iowajohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 14:00   #6
Steeps
Supporting Member

I would love this. The IDF already have a suitable vehicle being the M113 with the crate in it. Just have to reprogram (if possible) to have a UAV station.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 14:41   #7
Tarranauha200

Commander should NOT build FOBs. Commander should spend his time commanding the squads.
Tarranauha200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 20:23   #8
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarranauha200 View Post
Commander should NOT build FOBs. Commander should spend his time commanding the squads.
either way I think its just a good idea to motivate the commander to get out of main

Bluedrake42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 21:04   #9
Pvt.LHeureux
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedrake42 View Post
either way I think its just a good idea to motivate the commander to get out of main
True. Why having the CO rally, if you can't use the UAV out of main?
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 20:15   #10
waldov

Yeah id like to see the commander well, commanding more.
waldov is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
commander, feedback, ideas, uav