Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2014-01-19, 23:53   #11
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Bad use of map area

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
Sorry to say but in my opinion the recent changes to burning sands' city made it not so good, the layout of it just makes it bad for infantry. Too many wide open areas, instead of the old great maze feel it had to it.
I have already replied to your feedback on this matter in the other thread you posted it in.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 00:09   #12
Spook
Supporting Member

As Mineral said. it does not make sense to put objectives in map corners/edges since fighting there would just be stupid and unrealistic. Map borders should only be used for flanking or avoiding enemies just as it is now...so i would not say that those map parts are never used. You always need some map buffer to make the gameplay around the objectives enjoyable. Otherwise you will have corridor-like gameplay with no possbilities of smart strategic manoeuvring.

Best example was the Plane CrashSite on Burning Sands. Attacking it was a pain in the ass if you had no Area Attack or CAS available. Because defenders only had to cover 2 directions.

Spook is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 01:31   #13
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

People haven't had nearly enough time to decide that Xianshan is a "bad" map as due to the broken french armor people never get to play it. It's the lack of balance (tank v tank wise) that makes the map unpopular not the wasted space on the outside.

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 13:25   #14
Jacksonez__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
As Mineral said. it does not make sense to put objectives in map corners/edges since fighting there would just be stupid and unrealistic. Map borders should only be used for flanking or avoiding enemies just as it is now...so i would not say that those map parts are never used. You always need some map buffer to make the gameplay around the objectives enjoyable. Otherwise you will have corridor-like gameplay with no possbilities of smart strategic manoeuvring.

Best example was the Plane CrashSite on Burning Sands. Attacking it was a pain in the ass if you had no Area Attack or CAS available. Because defenders only had to cover 2 directions.
Khami and e.g Kashan have corner objectives and it is working just fine. I recall of seeing many great close-quarter fights in Burning Sands' Weapon's storage.
Jacksonez__ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 14:06   #15
ghostfool84
Supporting Member

I loved that weapon storage compound in the southwest of the map. Sure it was hard to get into it, if enemy were there, but it was quite interesting how the statics were connected, it felt really "fresh". I know many changes on Burning Sands were made for a better performance but fo me it feels there is to much gone.

On Ghosttrain i dont think there are areas wasted, its an 1km map and if you want to flank you need every space you have, there are a lot of fights in the northern area because enemystries to flank often there and destroy teh fob of the the brits.

[KSK]
ghostfool84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 16:32   #16
Wing Walker

Overall I wish the DOD was taken off of maps and were not so wide spread around bases.

There really is no issue with being "cornered" because there will be always be "corners" with the DOD also. Also, everything is directed away from corners anyway since the objectives are in the middle.

Kokan is a biggy for me, seems a lot could be done on the sides of that map if the DOD was lifted.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 16:35   #17
Wing Walker
Default Re: Why Large Dead Zone Areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Muttrah is only mains, which includes the Sea past the docks around the carrier so APCs can't swim up to it and shoot the carriers on the decks?
With muttrah I meant just the mountains are not usable much. Seems like it would be a cool dynamic to have something going on out there. I also started experimenting with FOBs on the Mec side and there are a lot of little nice niches around the docks to put one, I especially like the cargo boat, its unfortunate that nothing ever takes place out there. I almost feel the big boat should be a mec flag just because it seems to have more potential than just eye candy.

Also, about the boat, how difficult is it to remodel something like that to be "open", like the main structure and the cargo hold? I seem to remember someone in the past talking about it with the hotels.

As a side note, after I was done experimenting with fob's on muttrah, I went to go see the movie "Captain Phillips" and the opening scene where he went to the docks where the boat was being loaded with containers was messing with my mind.
Last edited by Wing Walker; 2014-01-20 at 16:44..
Old 2014-01-20, 16:41   #18
Rolling_Ruedo
Default Re: Why Large Dead Zone Areas?

All those unusable area on the left of Kokan make me kinda sad, could bring some good oppurtunities for flanking :P
Rolling_Ruedo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 05:51   #19
mangeface
Supporting Member

To me, Kashan is the best example of horrible use of map area. I honestly think it could use an overhaul, with a couple of more villages (10-15 buildings) placed in the NW and SE corners and some more buildings in the bunker complex. It's so lame for infantry (which is all I do).

At this point it doesn't seem like it matters as much, since it's not played nearly as often. But much as I disliked Kashan, I would kind of hate to see it go since it was kind of like a centerpiece map in PR, much like Muttrah.
mangeface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 21:55   #20
matty1053

Burning Sands IMO was much better with the Weapon Storage area. Definently had some epic moments there.
matty1053 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
area, areas, bad, dead, large, map, zone