project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2014-07-10, 15:11   #1
Vicious302
Banned
Default Insrugent Informants Inneffective

Edit: just looked at manual, sees it's 6 enemies in area now... when was this changed?
Vicious302 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 15:41   #2
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer
Default Re: Insrugent Informants Inneffective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious302 View Post
Edit: just looked at manual, sees it's 6 enemies in area now... when was this changed?
I believe that is incorrect... from your localconfig.py in your python directory, you can see for yourself:

Code:
# PROJECT REALITY INFORMANTS SETTINGS
#
# Factions that have informants
# Default are: meinsurgent, taliban, hamas, arf, fsa
C['INFORMANTS_TEAMS'] = [ 'meinsurgent', 'taliban', 'hamas', 'arf', 'fsa' ]
#
#
# Number of enemies that need to be close so the commander is informed.
# Default is 4
C['INFORMANTS_CLOSE_DISABLE'] = 4
#
#
# How many seconds it takes for the informant to get to the marked position.
# Default is 60 seconds
C['INFORMANTS_MOVEMENT_DELAY'] = 60
#
#
# How many seconds it takes for the intel to reach the commander.
# Default is 15 seconds
C['INFORMANTS_REPORT_DELAY'] = 15
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 17:07   #3
Vicious302
Banned

The manual says 6, I guess that was as of 1.0 but I only played commander 1.0 in beta so I didn't know if 6 was ever tested but it needs to be 6 or even 8, because 4 isn't really enough to be useful. If it was 8 or more you would know you had a good target for mortars, ieds that are in that area, bomb cars, etc.

With 100 player servers you'll have 80% of your informants reporting activity with only 4 needed, trying to turn that into useful information for the team is pretty hard. I'd really like to see 8, so I could do some public server testing and give some feedback on it's usefulness than, as of right now, I don't see anyone using it, so it couldn't do much harm.
Old 2014-07-10, 17:20   #4
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious302 View Post
The manual says 6, I guess that was as of 1.0 but I only played commander 1.0 in beta so I didn't know if 6 was ever tested but it needs to be 6 or even 8, because 4 isn't really enough to be useful. If it was 8 or more you would know you had a good target for mortars, ieds that are in that area, bomb cars, etc.

With 100 player servers you'll have 80% of your informants reporting activity with only 4 needed, trying to turn that into useful information for the team is pretty hard. I'd really like to see 8, so I could do some public server testing and give some feedback on it's usefulness than, as of right now, I don't see anyone using it, so it couldn't do much harm.
I disagree completely, due to the delay in reporting (although it is only 15 seconds), if it was only 8 players that could trigger it, you wouldn't get info on smaller squads approaching from the different areas that you've placed it.

With the lower number of 4, if one is triggered often you can be quite sure there is a fob there, which I think is a great mortar target, personally.

The only part I don't like is that each informant doesn't run it's own report timer, and they just get thrown in the same 15 second timer, so you'll suddenly get a report "Enemies at A, C, F, G" rather than getting them sequentially. It's not that bad.

When I'm commanding I'll use the informants to surround objectives and typical attack vectors, as well as potential fob locations... it is immensely helpful to know where the various enemies are coming from.
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-11, 01:02   #5
Vicious302
Banned

your making my point though... "Enemies at A, C, F, G", how can you have 4 mortars targets? Wouldn't you rather 1 or 2 waypoints with 6 or 8 enemies than a bunch of waypoints going off, by the time people get there they are gone.

As it goes right now you have to get intel on large movements and APCs from squad leaders.
I think squad leaders, collaborators, and marksman are for locating small fire teams, leaving the commander with the more important job of locating large targets for mortars and bombcars. The commander is the higher up, he should get the more powerful reports and leave reporting 4 guys to the grunts. Otherwise you have every grunt typing in team chat where APCs, or a whole squad of 8. Squads of 6+ are also very common now so it shouldn't be much different just more effective.

But still doesn't reason as to why the manual says 6... was this intended and never got done.. or got done and put back... or what? It shouldn't have stayed 4 with the increase in players. It's redundant and useless at that number.
Old 2014-07-11, 16:19   #6
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

The manual is out of date or could be wrong. It's not the bible

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-11, 16:26   #7
X-Alt