project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Closed Thread

Old 2014-08-08, 22:13   #1
Marxmen

Question [Map Suggestion/Idea] "Conflict in Mali" French vs. ARF

Hello there,
The other day I stumbled upon a Wikipedia page about the ongoing conflict in Mali involving French forces and African rebels/revolutionaries. After reading the article I thought it'd be really cool if a map based on this conflict could be added to the game.

Obviously it would involve the French Forces (preferably not the UN "variant") and the ARF, as they are a good representation of the fighters in Mali.

I would love to do this myself but unfortunately I just have no time. So I was wondering if there is a map maker out there with a similar idea. If there isn't anyone already working on a map similar to my idea, maybe I can be of some inspiration.

I think it'd be a really neat addition, seeing as the French don't have too many maps at the moment. Thanks for your time and cheers.

P.S. If there are any map makers who would like to work on this don't feel bad for thinking you "stole" my idea. I'm only here to provide inspiration and ideas. And I'm not looking for any recognition.
Last edited by BabylonCome; 2014-08-10 at 21:27..
Old 2014-08-10, 00:15   #2
blacktea65
Default Re: A question/suggestion to map makers

I'm dreaming about this layout as well. The current PR version already provides almost all the vehicles (at least for the French forces). It's incredible, France uses a lot of CAS, several tanks and APCs over there. They are not even using desert camouflage for the most armored vehicles. So it would be "only" necessary to change the uniform of the French soldiers and to create some good maps. Unforunately I know how complicated it is to get things like this done. I would definitly do it if I would have the experience and the time for it.

Here a little taste:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVNV0XmxBGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsgLy44fSpo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGRGV14nmmc
Old 2014-08-10, 11:30   #3
B2P1

I'd suggest looking for a 2km or 4km area on google earth that you had in mind and I can provide you with a heightmap. It makes it easier for you to plan the map layout, capture points, etc... Keep in mind the most time consuming is placing statics.
Old 2014-08-10, 18:09   #4
Marxmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktea65 View Post
The current PR version already provides almost all the vehicles (at least for the French forces). It's incredible, France uses a lot of CAS, several tanks and APCs over there. They are not even using desert camouflage for the most armored vehicles. So it would be "only" necessary to change the uniform of the French soldiers and to create some good maps.
I don't even really think the uniforms, or vehicles need changing. Mali has a mix of jungle and semi-arid climates so I think you could get away with using the French's woodland camo that's already in game (along with the vehicles). If you notice in those videos too, a lot of those guys are wearing mostly woodland, so I bet you could get away with all woodland.

Edit: Ok now that I'm on Google Earth and searching around, I realize that maybe the French will need desert uniforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2P1 View Post
I'd suggest looking for a 2km or 4km area on google earth that you had in mind and I can provide you with a heightmap. It makes it easier for you to plan the map layout, capture points, etc... Keep in mind the most time consuming is placing statics.
Unfortunately like I said I have no time to create a map for PR. As much as I would love to, school is starting back up soon. However I would to love to help. I can do the Google Earth however, in fact that's something I'd love to do. Then maybe you can put the heightmap up for a map maker to use if he/she wants to use it. Maybe if it's not too much I can post a few places from Google Earth and you can do the heightmaps for them too (that's up to you though, obviously), just so the map makers can have a few choices to choose from.
Last edited by Marxmen; 2014-08-10 at 18:45..
Old 2014-08-10, 19:32   #5
Marxmen

Here are some pictures of Gao in Mali. This city was heavily fought over. The red lines roughly represent 2kmx2km.

goa.jpg

goa2.jpg
Old 2014-08-10, 21:27   #6
BabylonCome
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map Suggestion/Idea] "Conflict in Mali" French vs. ARF

** Thread title changed as per authors request **

CO - Rusty In Places - www.rustyinplaces.org
Old 2014-08-10, 21:48   #7
StevePl4y5

Those images need some adjusting =P
Old 2014-08-10, 21:51   #8
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I'm sorry but this is really just a suggestion and as such, belongs in the suggestion forums, not community modding.

The idea is also not a new one I'm sorry to say, it has come up a lot in the past too especially around the time that heavy French operations where going on in Mali a year or so ago and even before that with the "African Resistance Forces" Community Faction.

The fact is however the chances of someone actually taking up someone else's map idea and finishing it though to the end is under 1% in my experience, as I've only ever seen one map that was developed from someone else's idea and that was Raid on Moskiye (a very old map) which was developed from a fellow devs (at the time) map idea.

As such if you want this kind of map in PR, the only realistic way its likley to happen is if you make it yourself.

- Moved to the Suggestions Forum and Closed for being a re-suggestion.

Closed Thread

Tags
arf, conflict in mali, french, makers, mali, map, question, question or suggestion, suggestion, suggestion or idea