project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2014-07-05, 14:56   #1
Rabbit
Default Infantry Techniques

Post your infantry techniques here to help new guys out.

Prone

Assign prone as your mouse wheel button. Prone should be used in emergencies, not when you see an enemy, crouch instead as you can manage your deviation better. Only us prone when an MG opens up on you, or you run out of ammo, just to make a smaller target.

Following Enemies
When following an enemy into a house, leave one man behind + medic to watch the way you entered to cover your rear from them flanking you. As you move through the building then pie the corners, shoot the corner and move and have another squad member with a frag out, if the enemy panics and shoots you can frag the room, if he tries to frag you, you can frag him back, and kill him, and the medic can revive you.

Hot Keys
Weapon slot 5 second key F (frag)
Weapon slot 8 second key B (bandage)

Both of these tend to be used in a panic, assigning secondary hot keys can help you get what you want right away, both keys are closer than the set ones.
Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 00:26   #2
Danger_6
Default Re: Infantry Techniques

This is not just for new players:

STOP SPRINTING.

Give each other space.

Read this thread I wrote a while ago: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f13...at-effect.html

I really hate it when people bunch up. If this happens when I squad lead I become anxious and I have to continually tell people to spread out and cover all directions. It doesn't help your SL if you don't cover him and the squad while he has to make decisions. An SL shouldn't be continually concerned about keeping their squad alive. Squad members should imagine they are patrolling alone in territory always covered by enemies - use cover and observe. Experienced players do this a lot too, it seems there is always a race to be in front of the squad. Do you all want to die first or something?

Finally, stop being mindless lemmings. Another PR gripe is when I have squad members following one anther like ducklings following their mother. Get a bit more spacing, and look in all directions instead of the ass of the player in front...
Last edited by Danger_6; 2014-07-09 at 01:01..
Old 2014-07-26, 04:33   #3
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

Shoot to kill and grenades are your friends. One grenade in the right place in the right time will either kill or wound people making it easier to mop up the survivors.
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-26, 10:49   #4
Prevtzer
Banned

Stop walking around with semi-auto. If you get ambushed close range you won't have time to switch to auto and you'll die. If you get shot at from long range you can easily switch to semi-auto while moving to cover.
Prevtzer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 18:13   #5
StevePl4y5

Ressurecting this thread, because I think stuff posted here can be really useful (it seems to me that the "PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies" section of the forum tends to be a little ignored).

On the subject of Semi-Auto VS Full-Auto, brought up by Prevtzer. I hate when SL's literally order me to switch to Full-Auto (order as opposed to advice), you should have enough confidence on your marksmanship to not be afraid to go into CQC in Semi.
Semi allows better shot placement, increased weapon control and discipline and ammo conservation. (Remember this the next time you want to complain about spraying a whole mag into an enemy before he kills you with 2 well placed shots, most likely you missed the whole mag, I've had that happen to me in several ocasions, and on both sides of the coin). Auto should be a suppression tool, or used in panic situations when it is impossible to properly control your aim.
I do recommend using 3-Burst when avaliable tho, it's a good versatile fire-rate option.

Now, the tip I really wanted to leave here is: FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE, KEEP CALM.
Often enough do I see people freaking out over the mic in firefights, making an already messy and stressful situation, even more messy and stressful. Especially in CQC.
When confronted with such stressful situations, just keep your finger off your Push-To-Talk button, and focus on the tool you have at hands (YOUR WEAPON). Take a quick look around you, assess the situation, and figure out how you can employ your weapon and your kit to not only help your squad, but to help yourself survive.

I myself, talk a lot ingame. A LOT. But I've quite literally trained myself to simply shut the frack up as soon as I take contact (on serious rounds XP), and only open my mouth to relay useful, simple and short information on enemy movement. You don't need to call out the enemies advancing on you that everyone can see. But if you see a couple of guys flanking, or a well positioned MG or AR, make sure to call that out, in the most concise and clear way possible.

Small and fast sentences, but slow and very pronunciated words. ArmA ingame voice commands are (even though ridiculous, horribly recorded, and completely exagerated) still a good example on how you should communicate. Calm tone, clear and slow pronunciation, and simple and short sentences.

Example: Instead of saying "Hey, I see an enemy AR on that roof at 15 degrees", say "Spotted, Enemy AR, Roof, 15". And instead of replying to a contact report with "Yea, I see him", simply say "Seen" or something similar.

And last but not least, keep your war stories for after the fight, and keep all coms in "tactical mode" during the fight. I can assure you, nobody on your squad wants to hear how you totally should have killed that guy, but he killed you instead, when they are in the same situation you were just before you got shot.
StevePl4y5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 18:42   #6
Curry
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePl4y5 View Post
On the subject of Semi-Auto VS Full-Auto, brought up by Prevtzer. I hate when SL's literally order me to switch to Full-Auto (order as opposed to advice), you should have enough confidence on your marksmanship to not be afraid to go into CQC in Semi.
Semi allows better shot placement, increased weapon control and discipline and ammo conservation. (Remember this the next time you want to complain about spraying a whole mag into an enemy before he kills you with 2 well placed shots, most likely you missed the whole mag, I've had that happen to me in several ocasions, and on both sides of the coin). Auto should be a suppression tool, or used in panic situations when it is impossible to properly control your aim.
I do recommend using 3-Burst when avaliable tho, it's a good versatile fire-rate option.
Full-Auto and iron sights all the way, semi and scope are only distractions which makes you want to participate in parties you better stay away from.

Curry.

Curry is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 22:27   #7
ElshanF

Whenever in the forest & in battle. Always listen for steps, revive, coughing, nades, anything. Use your PR senses to your advantage.
ElshanF is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
infantry, techniques