project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Commander Tactics
12 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2009-04-17, 13:28   #1
Royal_marine_machine
Default My Basic Guide to Commanding. (Not just for commanders to read!!!)

As seen in Many other topics, there are too many ways of commanding to have just one guide to commanding, therefor, this guide is just how I go about commanding (which i am forced to do alot of due to having the worst PC in the world)
All bits in red should be read by non-commanders also.

Squads
The easiest way for the Commander to co-ordinate his force, is if he team has different squads that are clearly labeled for their role in the game.
As a basic guide these are some squads I would like to have, if I was the commander of your team, as well as Infantry squads 9the majority of the force should be infantry):
Transport
Logistics
Armour
Air Support
Recon

Transport Squad.
The Transport squad should have in it APCs and Transport Helicopters. the APCs should be used as transport into a Hot area by land, as the APC can provide fire support until the squad has got into cover and put up an rally point, as Helicopters are vulnerable to enemy fire. Helicopters also require a clear LZ to keep reinforcements coming to support the squad, which must be defended to stop the enemy from taking out your helicopters as they resupply your forces, a Firebase could be set up here to help your infantry defend it. Helicopters are alot faster than APCs, and some can provide some fire support as they come in, but as fast as they are getting there, they are gone just as quickly, and the squad will generally be by itself unless you chose to send in another squad to support it.
Helicopters should be kept landed at main base while they are not transporting troops, or on fire support missions if they have guns (eg. blackhawks)

Logistics Squad.
A logistics squad should take control of all the Logistics trucks, and stay in them, not allowing anyone else to steal them. There should be 2 men per Logistics truck, a Driver, and a medic. Once the Infantry have cleared an area, a logistics truck should be sent to deliver two supply crates for the Infantry to reload, and, if the commander deams neccersary, to build a firebase. The medic can also help heal the infantry, to get them ready to fight as quickly as possible, which is the whole point of logistics, to keep the infantry able to fight for as long as possible, wherever they are needed. Once a logistics truck has completed a logistics mission, it should return to the Main base, to resupply itself, repair, and await further orders. A logistics truck should never be sent into a hot area, the area must be secured by the infantry first. Supplys can be dropped inot a hot area by APC, Humvee, or helicopter, as proper supply crates are not required for infantry to get more ammunition.

Armour Squad.
The armour squad should consist of tanks and IFVs ONLY, the armoured vehicles that canot transport troops! idealy, they should not be destroyed, so the squad should have no excuse for hanging around main, however sometimes they are, and the squad should stay at main unless more infantry is needed. Tanks and IFVs can be used as support if an Infantry squad requires it. Not only does a tank or IFV provide physical support, it also provides psycological support, not many infantry squads will fight as well if they can hear a tank, most likely they will keep there heads down. Tanks can also be used to counter enemy armour.

Air Support Squad.
The air support squad should be made up of jets and attack helicopters that cannot transport a full squad. Air support should be used like area attack, to save a squad that is in difficulty, to support an assault, or to soften a target before an assault. Attack Helicopters can also take a position, but a helicopter cannot hold a position, it requires infantry support to stop it from being shot down. Air support can also be used to take out large targets, for example is the Recon Squad sights a firebase, air support can blow it to bits.

Recon Squad.
The recon squad should have three members, an officer, a sniper, and a medic. The sniper and officer can both spot targets, while the medic can revive either of the other two if the recon squad is found. The recon squad should not be involved in a firefight by itself, and should never take fire. If it does it should withdraw to a safe location asap. A recon squad can spot critical enemy targets adn tell the commander of them. It can also provide sniper cover for an assault.

The Commanders Role
The role of the commander is to co-ordinate his force to victory, and give support where needed to his infantry. He should not tell a squad how to attack a position, that should be up to the squad leader. He should simply tell a squad to take a position, unless there are several squads involved, if there are he can take a more detailed role in commanding an assault, ranging from saying "squad 7 cover squads 3 and 4, squad 5 flank" to "Squad 2 land to the north in helicopters, squad 5 to the south in an APC, squad 3 take humvees nearby, APC to cover squad 5, squads 5 and 2 to attack the village and take out the two caches there, once both caches are down squad 3 extract both squads by humvees and all squads return to main base." A good commander can co-ordinate his force using every weapon in his arsenal, waypoints, fire support markers, and the support squads I talked about above.

Communicating with your squads.
When you give a squad an order, say the squad number then the order, and wait for a reply, the squad leader should then respond, with something like "ok", if they do not, wait a few moments and say the squad number again, then the order, then the squads number again, persistenently until they respond! if they never respond, ignore future requests from the squad for a while, until you need them to do something else. If they are not willing to co-operate with you, you shuld not co-operate with them.

General Tactics
Infantry, with support, can take a position quite easily, but it is the preperation for the assault, and the consolidation afterwards that the commander is required most. Getting his troops into position, organising transport and which squads will attack with position, is where the commander is needed. Then the assault takes place, the only thing the commander will do is the enemy spotted markers, call in area attack, air, or armour support. Then afterwards he must co-ordinate the positions defence agaisnt inevitable counter attack, and get supplys to the position to make sure the squad is fighting fit to take the next objective, and turn the position into a safe haven for squads to launch attacks. This means leaving a squad behind to defend positions with the Purple sheild over them.
Remeber not to over-stretch your forces, and to be cautious in everything you do, wary of counter attack, and not letting the enemy flank your forces.

This is juts a rough guide as to how I command a team.
If you have any questions, just ask.
Royal_marine_machine is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 18:51   #2
<|90Viper90|>
Banned
Default Re: My Basic Guide to Commanding. (Not just for commanders to read!!!)

Very useful, thankyou
<|90Viper90|> is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 02:13   #3
mattnett1
Banned

Too much red. But this would be very unique and helpfull for those who are starting their 'commander' period.
mattnett1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 05:32   #4
ralfidude

My only tip for commanders is this:

USE INDIVIDUAL COMMS WITH INDIVIDUAL SQUADS!

I hate, hate, HATE IT when commanders talk to all squad leaders at the same time because they are "too lazy" to click one button. There are times when you need to tell all SLs something, and then its cool to talk to them all, but when trying to communicate with your squad, and ventrillo, or TS, or mumble, whilst listening to the commander chit chatting with one particular squad is just down right disrespectful and you deserve each and every single vote of mutiny against you. If you cant be bothered to put a little effort into your commanding, then don't be a commander for all our sakes.
ralfidude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 16:29   #5
Hitmanrules

Dude that's it! I've commanded myself a fair bit on the NwA server and tbh this is all you need to do. Have a simple goal in mind and coordinate your guys together, without micromanaging them, to attack and defend the right areas, whilst placing markers, and redirecting the assets to the guys that need support. Simples.
Hitmanrules is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 19:56   #6
Tarranauha200

Why its ALL F**KING RED?!?!
Good guide althought I dont agree with everything. For example I think that blackghawk should not be used as CAS and logis should be used by INF too.
Tarranauha200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-20, 00:21   #7
Trekkie

Something I like to do, just to find out whether I'm getting a good distribution of individual squad objectives, before I start ordering people to do stuff, is just hilight all the squads using shift and clicking on the 1st and last one, so all their markers show up and I can instantly see if anybody's noticing that fob I'm marking or if the infantry squads are all going for the same marker or something. Just being able to let squads know that they are or aren't covering their bases is great, because as anybody knows, infantry squads spend a lot of time figuring out whether they should keep doing what they're doing or go to the other control point that's in play.
Trekkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-20, 09:59   #8
Murkey
Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip (I'd like to learn more about commanding at some point).

Also good use of the search function, just be sure to check the date of the last post. This thread is old enough to go to nursery school :P

Cheers, Murkey.

Murkey is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, commanders, commanding, guide, read