project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Map Strategies
03 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2014-12-12, 00:31   #1
Cavazos
Default Hill 488 tactical FOB positioning

This is actually a copy of an old guide I posted in Tiger Platoon when Hill 488 came out. I do know the map isn't played much but sometimes you can find it, although it is rare.

It is my favorite map but is challenging for U.S. forces to dominate and easier for NVA to do so. If you place FOBs in good positions you have won a majority of the challenges you face on this map.

Using good FOB positions in public gameplay, you are guaranteed map control as NVA. As USA you are only guaranteed a stalemate for map control but it is much better than being stuck with only the first objective. Keep in mind I'm talking about MAP CONTROL. The other team can still easily win by tickets even without map control.

These locations offer the best cover and concealment. Any place else makes for an easy target which is why most Hill 488 games, Americans will not have FOBs. So below is a copy and I hope will make your next experience as SL, if you ever play the map again, much more enjoyable.

-----------------------
-----------------------

2 hours of recon on my favorite Vietnam map. Most locations are within depressions which make discovery of the FOB hard to find. Positioning is generally "behind" an objective but close enough to serve as support to permanent rally points to assault next objective.

I am listing the FOBs in order of movement away from main base towards enemy base. As map is new, only a few people will know these tactical locations. These locations are best for day time maps. Nighttime you have more flexibility but I would say stay with these locations.

AMERICAN ADVANCE HILL 488

H2k1 - Between main base and first objective (OBJ). Very safe location.

K1k6 - Map border. Hidden location that NVA can use as well against first American OBJ.

M3k3 - Map border. This is located on second island without OBJ. It is somewhat between first and second OBJ.

M6k5 - Map border. I would say this is preferable to M3k3 as it's closer to enemy (EN) OBJ. Finding suitable FOB locations on the entire island of the 2nd OBJ was very difficult. Can't place if M3k3 FOB is up.

K6k3 - This is a very unique position. It is actually on top of a hill. I believe the tallest hill on the 3rd island of 2nd OBJ. Because of it's positioning, it's actually hard to see the FOB if placed correctly. It is not too close to village to be overrun immediately by EN on OBJ and but placement will interfere with M6k5 FOB. So place when you have M3k3 FOB instead.

G5k39 - Very specific location. Most locations on west and north side of 2nd OBJ are vulnerable. I found this location best due to; somewhat high ground, clear fields of fire towards EN spawn points to see them, and as the best FOB to place between 2nd and 3rd OBJ.

This location is also the first one I recommend HMGs deployed. HMG 1: G5k31 right side of unique tree covering SW. HMG 2: H5k4 between bushes covering SE. FOXHOLE: G5k13 top of hill covers W.

The two HMGs cover from direct S all the way to almost direct E. They have a long field a view. If you know anything about MG placement for bases, there is only a very narrow blind spot the EN can move between the HMGs but it is highly unlikely. The FOXHOLE is placed so you can set an AR or MG to cover W for friendlies approaching 3rd OBJ. I believe this is a great spot but it requires defending which means a friendly squad NOT advancing to an OBJ. This FOB is very visible. More hidden than public FOBs but better tactical positioning.

A6k4 - Map border. Hard to find any suitable locations on 4th island where 3rd OBJ is. This is actually in off limits zone in the bushes. You can place two HMGs on the river. HMG 1: A7k33 covers road with barb wire blocking transport and can cover your second HMG. HMG 2: B8k2 (i'm not sure it's in range) covers the ENTIRE river to prevent EN crossing to island. This is huge. Face it directly E. This is a very tactical position.

E8k8 - W side of road. For Americans, I found only one suitable FOB location to attack final OBJ. It is relatively easy for Patrol Boats to reach and has cover from EN main and spawn points at final OBJ. It is also between 3 OBJs and serve as a good backup. Requires wire on the road to prevent road kills.

VIETNAMESE ADVANCE HILL 488

B12k1 - Map border. Wow, this is the best FOB Location in the entire map. I'm sure a lot of us don't know about this position. This is a mandatory FOB spot. It is high in the hills, extremely defensible, large field of view, hard to chuck grenades at from a distance, and is in a great support location to first NVA OBJ. Some mapper definitely had NVA in mind for this spot.

A9 - Map border. Okay advance FOB to support attack on 2nd OBJ.

C9k3 - Secondary FOB location to support attack on 2nd OBJ. Is covered from EN advance (ADV) and vulnerable only from south and main. High on hill but not at very top to conceal.

A6k4 - Map border. Same as American location. I recommend this when placing a FOB on 2nd OBJ area.

G8k9 - Deep within the jungle on the SW side of 3rd OBJ island. Everything E of this is on the downslope of a hill and is very vulnerable to grenades and attackers. While this is down slope too, the slope is very long and small and you can see EN coming from a far distance.

M6k6 - Same as American location on E of island. Good for support 3rd OBJ and attacking (ATK) final.

M3k3 - Same as American. Same purpose as M6k6.

K1k6 - Same as American. Same purpose as M6k6. More dangerous but still good location. NVA can defend it if everyone spawns here. I would say M6k6 and this FOB would be best to set up.
Last edited by Cavazos; 2015-12-06 at 16:11..
Old 2014-12-12, 11:02   #2
Tiger1
Supporting Member
Default Re: Hill 488 tactical FOB positioning

Outstanding post Cavazos.

t
Tiger1 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
488, fob, hill, positioning, tactical