project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2014-12-31, 18:53   #1
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default SHTURM (ATGM MTLB) recoil

When you fire the ATGM launcher on the MTLB it has recoil, as in the whole vehicle nudges so that your sight bumps upward. Most of the time this causes a failure to hit the target at ranges between 50 and 300 meters. To my knowledge the ATGM launcher should be a recoilless weapon or atleast have insignificant recoil.

youtu.be/jj9HYGTHnf8?t=34s

Also some of the tanks such as T90 and Type 98 shake while firing the 3rd seat .50cal, which doesn't happen IRL. This is a problem mostly in mountainous terrain, makes the tank slide/shake rendering the weapons nearly useless.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-31, 19:42   #2
Murphy
Default Re: SHTURM (ATGM MTLB) recoil

I cannot speak for the Shturm recoil but when someone is in the Commanders Cuppola firing the weapon causes the entire tank to bounce around like crazy. As a gunner it's a pretty horrible experience, and actually ruins crew cohesion.
Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-01, 06:41   #3
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

There is camera recoil on the AT6 for the shturm, quite high compared to the others:

mec_atm_shturm_AT6Launcher
Code:
elseIf v_arg1 == "at6"
    ObjectTemplate.createComponent WeaponBasedRecoilComp
    ObjectTemplate.recoil.cameraRecoilSpeed 13
    ObjectTemplate.recoil.cameraRecoilSize 3
ch_tnk_type98_at11
Code:
elseIf v_arg1 == "at11"
    ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilSize 4
    ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilSpeed 20
    ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilSpeedGB 10
    ObjectTemplate.recoil.cameraRecoilSpeed 8
    ObjectTemplate.recoil.cameraRecoilSize 0.5
I actually don't know how this stuff all works, but it seems like the Shturm should really only have artificial recoil, and not shift the vehicle.

As for the .50 cal weapons, some of them do have a push force recoil applied, but the tanks such as the T98 that was mentioned above, don't have such attributes so I'm a bit stumped if you're 100% sure that's the case

I'll dig into it a bit more, but since I'm starting from 0 knowledge here just like you, feel free to help me out.

You can find the relevant files in the /objects/vehicles folders in the .tweak files.

From there you look for the name of the weapon, you can search using ObjectTemplate.create GenericFireArm or recoil.con

Once you have the weapon name, you can search for that in the /common/recoil.con and the /objects/weapons/common/recoil/ folder to check the values.

It takes a bit of time but hopefully one of us can figure out what the issue is there. At the very least the .50 cal behavior should be consistent between all tanks.
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-01, 11:37   #4
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Psyrus View Post
I'm not 100% on the chinese tank, I'll test it with different tanks and make a video.
Old 2015-01-01, 11:47   #5
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
I'm not 100% on the chinese tank, I'll test it with different tanks and make a video.
Thanks that would help a lot to narrow it down, if you have time
Old 2015-01-01, 21:08   #6
Murphy

This has been rattling around my head for a bit now, I figure test airfield with a few friends can really help figure this out.

Will try to get a few nubs together to check into the .50cal thing.
Old 2015-01-02, 01:35   #7
Murphy

Comedy and I managed to test every tank (big thanks to Zrix for helping us nubs). The Chinese tank seems fine concerning the recoil on the ATGM, maybe we weren't looking for the right thing but we also tried every other tank with an ATGM and they all seemed fine.

We did however find the tanks that have the .50 cal issue. They seem to vary depending on the asset, some being worse than others. The entire Russian T90 moves when you fire the commander weapon, it is probably the worst. The MEC T72 camera did shake when firing from the commander position, but it isn't as bad as the Syrian and Militia T62. The Militia variant seems to bounce when you start and stop firing the, while the Syrian T62 seems to shift to the left (we thought it was terrain so we changed spots but it persisted).

EDIT: We didn't actually test the Shturm...derp.
Old 2015-01-02, 01:40   #8
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

I don't think the recoil is the only thing wrong with the shturm, I've had a lot of trouble just getting the missile to go towards my target in the past, not sure if its a huge spiral or it is bugged but it crashes into the ground for me.

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-02, 03:51   #9
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
We did however find the tanks that have the .50 cal issue. They seem to vary depending on the asset, some being worse than others. The entire Russian T90 moves when you fire the commander weapon, it is probably the worst. The MEC T72 camera did shake when firing from the commander position, but it isn't as bad as the Syrian and Militia T62. The Militia variant seems to bounce when you start and stop firing the, while the Syrian T62 seems to shift to the left (we thought it was terrain so we changed spots but it persisted).
Yeah, all those 'redfor' tanks have .50 cal weapons attached that have recoilforce of 0.5 and generally a larger recoilsize as well. I think it is to do with the fact that they're attached to technicals or very light jeeps and a dev wanted those to experience some shaking due to firing, but it comes at the expense of unrealistic tank behavior. I'll make a bug report about it on the tracker to see if we can fix it or the higher devs want to keep it that way.

Technically we could go through and duplicate the functionality of each one and remove that modifier for tanks, but it's a lot of duplication that I'm not sure is necessary if we just take it off the other vehicles too.
(T62)
Code:
elseIf v_arg1 == "dshk"
	ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilSize 1.2
	ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilSpeed 30
	ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilForce 0.5
	ObjectTemplate.recoil.cameraRecoilSize 2
(T90)
Code:
elseIf v_arg1 == "kord"
	ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilSize 1.2
	ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilSpeed 30
	ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilForce 0.5
	ObjectTemplate.recoil.cameraRecoilSize 2
Old 2015-06-25, 12:58   #10
viirusiiseli
Banned

The shturm still has recoil even though it was removed from BRDM version with ATGMs?

Tags
atgm, mtlb, recoil, shturm