project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
18 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2016-09-13, 17:55   #1
Tomato-Rifle

Default Windows 7 Freezing on startup

Today i think some hardware is on is last legs... and i dont know which.

Last week or so sometimes my computer has not been starting up right away - giving a bios beep code (i forget exactly which one, either one long or 1 long 2 short) and usually on the 2nd time trying to start it up it works, no problems. I game for hours on PR/CSGO/BF1 beta no problems.

Then just today i tried starting my computer, got a beep, tried again, then my computer froze right after logging in. I tried a few more times after that, and my computer seemed to freeze faster and faster every time. I did a restore, it didn't help.

I kept trying and trying, it would even freeze in safe mode at the login screen. I try again and get a BSOD for the first time since i've built this computer around 5 years ago. It flashed to fast to even see what the code was.

I tried again and windows says it cant start and will attempt to repair the error, it does a disk check and says there was a corrupt volume on the disk drive or something. It "fixed" it and i managed to start it now, but i dont think this war is over.

Could a dying HDD be responsible for freezing the computer? I believe it is hardware related, but I'm not sure what. My video card seems pretty solid, never had any artifacts and its been playing BF1 beta fine.

Specs:

MB: GIGABYTE GA-P67A-D3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel (5 years old)
SDD: SanDisk Ultra Plus SDSSDHP-128G
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint 7200rpm 1TB (5 years old)
CPU: I5 2500 (5 years old)
GPU: GTX780 (2 years old)
PSU: EVGA|850W (2 years old)
RAM: 2x 8gb newish ram
Tomato-Rifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 17:01   #2
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member
Default Re: Windows 7 Freezing on startup

Back up your hard drive now using Acronis or similar, you're very close to having an expensive problem on your hands if it is your HDD.

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

Troubleshooting; Frequently Asked Questions - Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3 User Manual [Page 95]

Pay attention to the beeps and it'll get you started.

it could be the motherboard itself at this point.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 02:57   #3
Tomato-Rifle

Thanks for the response.
Unfortunately i didn't hear clearly what the beep code as...But

I haven't had any problems since it did that disk check fix when my computer wasn't booting into windows. But i am still worried.

If my HDD is failing and causing these freezes, does that make sense even though my OS is on my SDD? I figured because they are not connected in any way (and my HDD is just storage) if my HDD had issues it wouldn't fuck up my computer, but just have missing files/not being able to access stuff. Not effect the system as a whole?

I went ahead and bought a new HDD. (much cheaper than 5 year ago!! ) Better safe than sorry. The one i have is near filled to the brim anyways.
Tomato-Rifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-26, 05:51   #4
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

If you moved certain files , like your \Users\ folders, or startup files needed for the windows kernel, to save space on the SSD, and the HDD is failing, the problem could be such.

IDK, so many possible problems, I can't be too sure where to start.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 22:07   #5
Tomato-Rifle

Ok.

Still getting random freezes, usually playing games (KSP, Fallout 4). I have not yet received my new HDD.

However i was installing some mods for fallout 4, and i get this message.

Asking to do a chkdsk on my C drive. Which is my SSD. Which is odd to me because neither the nexus mod manager or fallout 4 is installed on my SSD. Does that make sense? Does it a actually mean my F drive (hdd)? I read that chkdsk is not meant for SSD's and wont do any good. That SSD's regulate themselves?

Nexus client surely must be tripping and actually means my HDD?! Because like i said the files in question aren't on my SSD.
Last edited by Tomato-Rifle; 2016-10-02 at 22:13..

Tags
freezing, startup, windows