project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > Official PR Tournament News
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Official PR Tournament News Official Project Reality Tournament news releases and announcements.

Closed Thread

Old 2017-12-07, 07:41   #1
[R-DEV]prbot
PR DevBot - Do not send PM's
Supporting Member

Arrow C13 Battle #3 Saaremaa

PRT Campaign 13
Saaremaa

The fighting over Saaremaa has drawn to its conclusion and VOG has come out on top. With yet another aggressive deployment, this one even moreso than ever, VOG kickstarted the round by contesting the town of Orissaare, quickly overrunning the RPX squad sent to secure it. With that flank under their control VOG swiftly pounced on the opportunity to attack Supply Depot, which had been captured by RPX just moments earlier. This early lead proved too much for RPX to overcome who, despite superior armour usage and an impressive breakthrough in the last few minutes, could not quite have enough of an impact to dislodge VOG from their healthy ticket advantage.

RESULT

PR Tracker Replay
Score Screen

RPX have chosen to play Sbeneh Outskirts as MEC next.

Date: 16th of December 2017
Time: Battle start 20:00 PRT
Server Password: Announced 19:45 PRT
Map: Sbeneh Outskirts Inf
Teams: FSA (VOG) vs MEC (RPX)
No-Go Zone Rules: Click Here

Signups continue to remain open as there are still a few slots left on either side, read here if you are interested in signing up.

The conflict in the PRT will rest for one battlecycle, from 18 Dec to 31 Dec.
The last official actions before the winter break will be the operation and map choices by High Command (due on 18 Dec).
It is recommended to file LoAs for longer absences to prevent trouble with forum inactivity timers. You can file LoAs on the roster/event page by clicking the small gear icon in the top right there.

PR Tournament Website
How-To Sign-Up
Tournament FAQ
Tournament Rules
Battle & Practice Schedule
Project Reality Discord

More...
Old 2017-12-07, 15:00   #2
Michael_Denmark

Thumbs up Re: C13 Battle #3 Saaremaa

The battle for Saameraa, started out with a rapid and beautiful enclosing assault, from the Vangaurd Operations Group. A bold and determined starting move that VOG rapidly developed into the type of Pincer Ambush, we saw it shaped up for, in battle 1, on Yamalia. Back then, however, VOG never materialized it and so the moment it initially created, was lost. Below the image from VOGs lost moment on Yamalia.

This time, however, VOG actually executed this very type of Pincer Ambush and as result, captured the Supply Depot flag, from an unusual disorganized Riam Pax team, almost starring it self, blind on the flags, instead of taking the overall situation into account. Hereunder, that VOG had placed units on two, or three sides of the flag it wanted to capture. The result from a VOG perspective, however, was excellent. Riam Pax was almost surrounded from round start. Within minutes it had to fight hard on two fronts, being both sides of the Supply Depot flag. All this meanwhile VOG infantry swept its rear as well. As a commander, can you ask for more?

Essentially two schools of though fought it out here and the school focused on the flag and defense, lost.

The two schools of thought still in motion, even after RPX has identified VOG units on multiple sides of the flag.

So VOG not only took the initiative, it took it in a clever manner, adapted to the flag oriented play style RPX so far has used. In doing so, VOG also achieved the ticket lead. Which it kept for the rest of the round, until it won with 85 tickets ahead. Beautiful executed game play from the Vangaurd Operations Group. Clearly the frustarting learning curve that took the first three battles to complete, has now paid off.

Tactical note: when deploying your attacking force, on two sides of an area your opponent is moving into, (Supply Depot flag), you basically present your opponent with a dilemma. Thus not presenting your opponent with a problem. This is vital, in order to understand what happened in battle 3. Because a problem can be solved but not a dilemma. This is also why we saw RPX tried to solve the problem, at 3:50, on its western flank, using a line formation, in a solid manner. Still, however, this deployment did not solve the overall situation; that VOG had forces on three sides of the Supply Depot flag. The very flag RPX was about to capture. That's why the VOG deployment is both clever and bold. It counted on a more passive play style from the RPX. An assumption that proofed to hold water. Now, had RPX been more active, more concentrated and determined, to destroy VOG units, before capturing the flag, the start of the round, could have turned into RPX favor. Because VOG had divided its forces, they were all vulnerable to a concentrated attack. An attack that never came.

On top of all of this and related to it as well, the initial VOG assault, also involved a possible diversion. It used its three helicopters to deliver its infantry, in a manner, so RPX from first sight, maybe concluded, that VOG was strongest in the West, while it actually was so, in the East. Perhaps this is also why, the Western VOG Force, assaulted the RPX units in the town of Orissaare? Located as it is, at the coast. A VOG diversion, aiming to as minimum, draw away the RPX attention from the VOG build-up in the east? AND as maximum, to defeat any RPX units in the Orissaare town area?

Finally, the initial VOG assault, also involved a very bold action. Because from round start, VOG reached out, for the very rear of its opponent. Landing its VOG infantry, in close proximity to the RPX Main Base. That is, even before the last RPX vehicle had left it! That is boldness, and this time, on Saameraa, it paid off.

Audacity, always Audacity!
Thank you for this great inspiration, Vangaurd Operations Group.

What happened next was a looong, and somewhat clumsy attrition battle, fought out between the Supply Depot flag (3rd) and the Lighthouse flag (4th). Flag numbers are seen from the perspective of the attacker (VOG).

This muddy fight, could also have been the outcome of the battle, however, something important and surprisingly happened. Because near battle end, ticket wise that is, when VOG had a lead of almost 150 tickets, and RPX around 50 left, something spectacular took form. Riam Pax, for the first time in the campaign, decided to unleash its offensive potential. This in a situation, with almost no hope to win the round. RPX did something unexpected. The team, how to put it, sort of erupted it self, into a sheer brutal frontal assault, of utter violence. Like a volcano. A frontal assault that included both speed and strength. Together those two factors made up the surprise factor. Because this assault, literally smashed through the VOG units in place. And from here on RPX moved straight and determined to the Supply Depot flag, where it grayed it out and started to defend it, in the manner, it should have defended it, from start of the round.

What an outstanding and impressive achievement. Beautiful executed Riam Pax. Thank you for showing us, that it is never too late, to do it.

Hence, the third battle of campaign 13, was to be the round where Vangaurd Operations Group, excelled in its Pincer Ambush for the first time, while Riam Pax proofed that it has offensive potential - above average. So please, RPX and VOG commands, give us more of the same in future rounds.

Finally, lets take a look at the RPX beauty.
Last edited by Michael_Denmark; 2017-12-09 at 14:25.. Reason: spelling errors as usual
Old 2017-12-07, 17:32   #3
Mouthpiece
Supporting Member

Default Re: C13 Battle #3 Saaremaa

Damn, seeing how close are the battles between the teams and my general need for PR (haven't played for a few months), I want (*need*) in!

Can someone please tell me approx. when will the signups open again (for reservists, etc.)? I just need to approx.time so till then I don't have to check forums every day (I've no other reasons but this to check forums at this moment in life).
Old 2017-12-09, 14:40   #4
Michael_Denmark

Yep, the battles between these two teams, are in fact very close. Respect to the Tournament Administration, for making it happen.

Fully understand you wanna join in - because this is a really interesting campaign.
Old 2017-12-12, 15:42   #5
Michael_Denmark

In terms of Riam Pax, the more you look at it, the more their plan seems rational, although as bold as VOGs, just in a more defensive setup.

However, the plan sort of, gamble, with the amount of troops allocated to the two flags. Plus, I seems as they had no real backup plan ready, in case they lost the town of Orissaare and the Supply Depot flag.

When you take a detailed look, at both the fight for Orissaare and the Supply depot flag zone, it is, what seems to be, tactical errors that destroyed the flow in their overall plan, - that is, to capture those two flags; Supply Depot and Lighthouse.

In regard to the Supply Depot, it is a squad leader, CrisWeb89, who seem to be too outgoing, pushing out of the zone, perhaps in order to create some vacuum? Regardless of the reason, he loose this fight, and with that the perimeter defense in the eastern part of Supply Depot flag zone, as well.

In the town of Orissaare, the numbers are pretty much equal, and the RPX units in the area also gets the first kills in the contact phase. Then, hereafter, not sure why, but there seem to be some confusion, on how to tactical, defend Orissaare in a solid manner. Sort of what we saw on Nuijamaa, where Filamus unit lacked flanking security.

That plus the aggressive play style from the related VOG units, and you get this result. Had RPX not lost Criswebs squad and the town of Orissaare, as fast as they did, the outcome of the fight could have been quite different, I think.

Back in Campaign 6, yes long time ago, I made an offensive plan, where every squad counted. I had one potential reserve squad available in my plan (6-man squad), lead by HunterMed, and it proofed to be too small a reserve. I simply put wanted too much too fast and therefore, when I feared an enemy move, against my rear, a move that never came by the way, l stalled in my decision making. That made me loose my moment and from there on we had to fight an attrition battle, not planned at all, for the next two hours. We won, on tickets, but only barely.

Had the coastal town not fallen that fast and had perhaps a few more troops been allocated the Supply Depot capture-mission, then the plan might have worked just fine? not sure here, but almost.
Closed Thread