project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2018-04-10, 07:19   #1
GAJAN

Exclamation Decreasing asset respawn times for the losing team

Balancing battles (in assets)

You know that situations when enemy team at start of round (Germans on silent eagle for an example) already has 90 or 100 percent of flags, and your team is unable to do anything and game becomes boring an thing like that. To stop that I suggest to make (if it is possible) shorter time of assets spawning/respawning for team which is losing, cause if that team has some heavy assets they are automatically able to defend last flag or retake it on easier way. I think that is gonna change game to be faster and more fighiting. Otherwise all are spawning in the main and doing TKs. So yeah thats all.
Last edited by [R-DEV]AlonTavor; 2018-04-10 at 10:18..
Old 2018-04-10, 09:32   #2
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator
Default Re: BALANCING BATTLES (in assets)!

We actually discussed something like that internally a few months ago. However changing an existing spawn point's respawn time is impossible without direct memory editing. So its not simple enough to be worth to implement.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-10, 09:49   #3
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AlonTavor View Post
However changing an existing spawn point's respawn time is impossible without direct memory editing.
Something similar i've coded back in time, with correcting spawn timers.
1. On a round start delete existing spawners, remembering their settings.
2. Control spawn system with python.
I mean it could be possible, but need to think about side-effects like snowballing.

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-10, 10:13   #4
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo View Post
Something similar i've coded back in time, with correcting spawn timers.
1. On a round start delete existing spawners, remembering their settings.
2. Control spawn system with python.
I mean it could be possible, but need to think about side-effects like snowballing.
Cant connect spawned vehicle to its spawner reliably with python. Especially when things block spawn point. Its really not reliable.

I had a working proof of concept memory-hack. ObjectSpawner struct has an int32 that counts how many ticks until next spawn. Changing it in real time works.

Also since every ObjectSpawner has a unique ObjectSpawnerTemplate editing that in real time without any memory stuff might also work? Never tested. I think the ObjectSpawner copies the respawntime from it only when it needs to.

Doing spawn reduction when a flag is lost sounds like it could be a nice feature. But it sounds like its making things more complex than they should be. Maybe in the future.
Last edited by [R-DEV]AlonTavor; 2018-04-10 at 10:19..
Old 2018-04-10, 10:17   #5
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
Supporting Member
Default Re: Decreasing asset respawn times for losing team

I took the liberty of changing your title to something more informative.
Old 2018-04-10, 13:59   #6
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Decreasing asset respawn times for the losing team

Aside from how to hax this, how would you determine when a team is 'losing'?

And what would prevent a team from playing intentionally shitty so they can play with more assets more often, abusing whatever supposedly objective logic that would trigger this aid to a "losing" team? Or the other team 'winning' just enough not to trigger this? Or would admins decide?

IMO only thing that would fix the shittiness of losing is losing faster, so you get to the next round.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Outlawz7; 2018-04-10 at 14:06..
Old 2018-04-10, 14:32   #7
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Outlawz7 View Post
Aside from how to hax this, how would you determine when a team is 'losing'?
Flag loss. I would use the same event that causes -30 tickets. I would make the early-respawn a one time thing.

For instance, decrease 3 min from the timer of all currently dead and re-spawning assets. This doesn't do much with Tanks/APC, but helps getting fobs back up/transport/AAVs and prevents the losing team from giving up so easily.

I would also filter all spawners that didn't spawn a vehicle yet, so delayed cas/tanks don't show up too early.
Old 2018-04-10, 18:28   #8
Murphy

I think this could work out nicely if you do not include the heavier/more influential assets in the system. If you lost your tank it won't give you another one earlier, but if your trans choppers are getting chewed up and you're team is losing ground while everyone stands around the carrier and this mechanic kicks in the losing team is given a last gasp of air before they finally sink or swim.

This would be more helpful on 4k maps, and could easily salvage amphibious assault maps that turn into early steam rolls. The one issue I would be wary of is enabling bad players/trolls to waste tickets that much faster, which might in fact exacerbate the loss of assets by certain individuals, allowing them to simply chew through tickets at a quicker rate.
Murphy is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
asset, assets, balancing, battles, decreasing, losing, respawn, team, times