project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2021-01-23, 19:59   #121
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Oneshot Garand

At the end of the day, it's a game, and it needs to be playable. A one-shot kill in the torso could seriously detract from that in PR. IRL, shit happens - like your example of shooting a soldier dead-to-rights, only to have them 'fall' and 'not sure if the second bullet hit', maybe lag and only the second bullet hit as they were already prone when first went off, who knows - as the comparison is getting too close to IRL with a few thousands words essays, I'd like to add that in your scenario, if IRL, you could imagine the second bullet smacking some bit of iron gear they were wearing or something, either way not resulting in eliminating the threat. Any soldier should focus on any/all means to subdue that threat until confirmed and while surprises may happen, a buggy glitch in a game can often be attributed to the randomness of 'shit happens' just as in IRL.

I'm not against reviewing what is and what could be, I'm just saying that given that it is a game that is already at the edge of game vs. milsim, it seems understandable to avoid too many one-shot Johnny's.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-24, 12:18   #122
UncleSmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemlerPDX View Post
At the end of the day, it's a game, and it needs to be playable. A one-shot kill in the torso could seriously detract from that in PR. IRL, shit happens - like your example of shooting a soldier dead-to-rights, only to have them 'fall' and 'not sure if the second bullet hit', maybe lag and only the second bullet hit as they were already prone when first went off, who knows - as the comparison is getting too close to IRL with a few thousands words essays, I'd like to add that in your scenario, if IRL, you could imagine the second bullet smacking some bit of iron gear they were wearing or something, either way not resulting in eliminating the threat. Any soldier should focus on any/all means to subdue that threat until confirmed and while surprises may happen, a buggy glitch in a game can often be attributed to the randomness of 'shit happens' just as in IRL.

I'm not against reviewing what is and what could be, I'm just saying that given that it is a game that is already at the edge of game vs. milsim, it seems understandable to avoid too many one-shot Johnny's.
the one shot johnnys is what seperates the men from the boys.
UncleSmek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-24, 12:50   #123
transpilot
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSmek View Post
the one shot johnnys is what seperates the men from the boys.
I always thought its your -snip- user infracted for insulting/flaming
Last edited by Nate.; 2021-01-24 at 20:21..
Old 2021-01-25, 14:34   #124
axytho
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemlerPDX View Post

A "piece of iron" won't stop a full power rifle round. And even if it does, the person behind it is going to be done fighting for that day due to broken ribs. (which is modelled by the "wounded" state in game).

As for gameplay: our point is that 1-shot kill is perfectly playable. It just requires teamwork, as you can no longer lone-wolf when even one guy in a bush who doesn't have much experience in-game can end your killstreak.
axytho is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-31, 18:32   #125
WingWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by axytho View Post
A "piece of iron" won't stop a full power rifle round
There are alot of factors that affect internal ballistics, often times a bullet will fail just because it hits bone before anything vital.

The damage models here have to represent variables too, like the shooter's skill.

Though, I did not at all experience bad game play because of 1 shot killing power, both sides were equal in this.

Nothing should of been changed accept the Garand's deviation made less accurate than the K98's

That would of been the best of both worlds.

I think too many people want "balance" because they do things like continually run down the same road where they were already killed 5 times before, and the DEVs had to change things because they whined and cried the most.
WingWalker is offline Reply With Quote