project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2022-01-03, 19:43   #1
Nightingale
Default SMLE speed of bolt cycling

Quote:
Updated iron sight bolt action rifles to scope in slightly quicker.
Updated iron sight bolt action rifles to stay scoped in after shooting.
Updated iron sight bolt action rifles to cycle bolt faster.
I am loving these changes, but I actually think the balance may have been tipped too far. I was using the Taliban SMLE (Rifleman ALT) and found that this rifle was pretty effective even in CQB situations. It just felt... arcadey. Guns like the SMLE are meant to be an impairment, as the kit usually has some special feature like SA-3, watercontainer, etc. to compensate.

I would suggest that only one thing be changed: the speed of bolt cycling should be reduced. Not as slow as before, but not as fast as now.
Nightingale is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-05, 09:05   #2
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: SMLE speed of bolt cycling

I think the cycle speed is fine. However bolt-actions should probably not one-hit-kill against modern body armor.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-08, 21:09   #3
WingWalker

Or should you adjust the accuracy more? Such as a second or two of settle time.

Maybe even turn bolt actions into "ranged" weapons with the drop menu going by 100meter increments (if thats possible).

Bolt action rifles are powerful in general.

Modern body armor can stop a 30cal+ round, but not all, and its a lot of energy to be transferred onto your chest.

Turning a 1 shot rifle into 2 shots changes a lot more of the game play, in my opinion.

Rifles with iron sights are not as easy to aim and shoot though at ranges.

I have not got to use the new PR bolt actions yet, but they "should" settle within a second or two to be adequate enough to hit a man size at 50ish yards, and really open up at anything beyond 50, reqiring a longer settle time, like 5 seconds, to get to a full settle time.

That is at least how I would expect the accuracy to work in real life for a standard rifle shooting with iron sights.
WingWalker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-09, 11:34   #4
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

This is about CQB, so changing accuracy/deviation probably wont have big impact. My suggestion is to have bolt actions come in line with other comparable rounds like 762x54 vs body armor. As Nightingale pointed out, they are meant to be a burden on the kits that get equipped with them, so having them not one hit kill or requiring you to aim for unprotected head and legs would return them to that.
A change vs body armor would only affect modern maps while a change to cycle times affects all theatres (ww2/vietnam).

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote