project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Squad Leader Tactics
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2021-12-22, 21:00   #1
BigBigMonkeyMan
Supporting Member

Talking TOP 3 WAYS TO CREATE A COHESIVE SQUAD

I feel like I have a pretty good batting average when it comes to creating a cohesive squad. No we don't always win and no, we don't always participate in the most exciting missions, and no we may not be the game-winning top ranked squad. But more often than not, the public randos I get in my squad as well as the regular players who I play with often will work together towards a common goal and communicate. I know other SLs struggle with keeping squads together and cooperating as they should, so here my top 3 tips on creating a cohesive squad:

1. Set a clear objective, before the round even starts if you can

By this, I mean when everyone is waiting to spawn, outline your squads main mission of the game. You don't want/need this to be too complex. Something simple like "Hey guys, our mission will be to take and hold the Dam flag. Let's make sure we have two medics, as well as all the standard kits." That alone will give you squad a clear goal.

2. Always acknowledge the good things your squad does

If your LAT hits a shot on the enemy APC to scare it away, say "Nice shot." If they miss, don't be too hard on them, try and get them ammo. If your squad medics kept your squad alive and allowed you to take an objective, say "Good job everyone, nice work medics in keeping everyone up, that was a really solid attack." This creates a positive atmosphere within your squad that everyone will want to maintain and be apart of.

3. Delegate responsibility (don't micromanage)

Your squad members can all be good players and leaders, rising to the occasion when need be. Give them clear assignments without micro-managing them. For example, if you are defending a flag and see an enemy FOB marker close, tell your breacher something like "Hey breacher, take two guys with you to check out the FOB marker, if its accurate destroy it. Just leave a medic with me." This gives the other squad members an objective as well as gives the breacher you gave the assignment to some agency/feeling of importance to the mission. Some other things like "Hey rifleman, I need you and LAT to stick together in case he needs ammo."

Thes 3 things are positive behavior that your squad members will notice. Do not treat them as inferior or micro-manage. If someone is consistintly not good or communicating, you can always kick them, but this should be a last resort.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"
BigBigMonkeyMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-15, 16:53   #2
BigBigMonkeyMan
Supporting Member

Default Re: TOP 3 WAYS TO CREATE A COHESIVE SQUAD

Actually would like to add a fourth way:

4. Attribute everyone's accomplishments to the squad. If you kill 5 enemy soldiers in an engagement and the rest of the squad totals 3, after you are moving on to the next mission or object, say something like "Nice work everyone we killed a full squad." Or at the end of the round manning a super FOB, "We shot down 2 choppers," even though only one person was manning the AA. Every win in this game is a team effort, and using the language to reflect that gets your squad members to buy in to the squad dynamic, even if they are new.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"
BigBigMonkeyMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-18, 21:17   #3
Grump/Gump.45
Exclamation Re: TOP 3 WAYS TO CREATE A COHESIVE SQUAD

1.) The simple short "1 man per piece of cover, move cover to cover in view of each other to save each other in grenade/RPG/mortar/tank shell spread. Show no more than your head, minimize exposure". Which expands immediately into camouflage up and police up each others camouflage exposure. Peek through the leaves, its harder for you to see and harder enemy to see you. Like looking through a hair comb messing with the natural focus on your eyes, focus through and beyond the leaves for clear unblocked image.

Don't fire unless you see the enemy see you, watch them until either we or the enemy goes out of view. Scan aggressively for anything suspect. Freeze call out is grab cover/camouflage to listen for footsteps. Dead roach call out is everyone play dead. 1 man hurt per explosion, be the booby trap, sweep your fire towards enemy gun sounds, sources of enemy fire and other signs of enemy till you see one. Fire height of a man as deep as you can

While nobody can remember all the words for this, they remember what it all is getting a feel for it. It teaches

2.) A good squad is only as good as you can keep it, treat them good, thank them, congratulate them on kills. A bad player can make a good player look bad by bunching up close, know who to blame to either correct or get rid of. Know your guys by experience, who is actually getting close to who so you can tell the right player to fix spread. Don't let new guys take LAT kits for taking down armor. If the best man dies he should be in good enough spot to retrieve it. Same with trolls or other people. 1 man per tree is easy.

3.) Basic list of the objectives likely to do. Defend, attack, build FOB line, support other squads. Anything that contributes to the overall teamwork and good decision making that influences later decisions.

Like taking down FOBs in the enemy rear or deep in your rear that you could leave so they max out FOBs. You know how bad players like to spawn at the only FOB on the map outside an enemy main base even if its the last flag capped outside their own main base other side of map. In the future we can see placing FOBs in the rear leaves no security or movements coming from our side of the map. But nobody makes the observation and makes the same repeated mistakes because they want it easy in a fighting game to sneak cap zones from the enemy from behind.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-24, 14:09   #4
UncleSmek

If you're playing with 7 randoms I suggest you do one thing before anything else.. and that is play your defensive flag.. make sure you have fobs etc. Dont expect to attack with 7 randoms but focus on what you can do effectively. Rest is irrelevant and waste of time and subsequent tickets.

And dont be afraid to swftly kick people who dont listen since anyone else can take their place.
UncleSmek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-28, 08:27   #5
MOSES!!

Defense and fobs are important to win a round you can't have the whole team spawn on one fob or just rely on the fobs in general, the rally points are needed near the point so the sq can spawn without having to walk that far to the objective
MOSES!! is offline Reply With Quote