project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
18 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2023-02-05, 11:48   #1
dcm
Default Insurgents feel too weak on AAS

Insurgents team is underpowered on AAS layers. They are an unconventional faction forced to fight in a conventional manner. Insurgents are built for the game mode named after them, and do best on such maps. However on AAS; Insurgents weaknesses and shortcomings become magnified. They lack so many basic necessities like spawnable launchers and machine guns. That it's painful to play as. And the mighty Sapper, becomes a liability on AAS. Watercans and grenade traps kill more friends than foes.

How about splitting Insurgent team in twain: One for AAS and One for INS? The precedent already exists with Iron Sight only and WW2 paratrooper faction variants. Why not take it one step further?

And before anyone mentions the taliban and their near limitless watercan ieds. The taliban have a conventional spawn kit loadout. There's no need to rely on watercans in AAS. I see almost no watercans on AAS taliban layers. They have the option to, but dont exercise it. In fact it's quite the opposite. People actively avoid placing mines as taliban on AAS.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-06, 12:49   #2
Grump/Gump.45
Default Re: Insurgents feel too weak on AAS

But just about every insurgent faction has binoculars for almost every kit, sometimes on AAS the BLUFOR only have iron sights. Even with scopes, counter it with binoculars. Iron sight sniper mentality, scope is just zooming the target bigger with a reticule. Its balanced by terrain or tactics.

Even wide open desert has micro terrain of 6 inchs to 1 foot in height to bound cover to cover to. Massive force required. The Omaha beach landing concept applies everywhere, one boat dies fast, 20 is too many for enemy to kill quickly. One man dies fast, 20 is too hard for enemy to kill.

Mix with tactics like camouflage, 1 man per piece of cover, 1 man hit per tank shell spread formation. It requires instruction and training as you go into these situations, can't just say zig zag when micro terrain is also required. Can't just say zig zag without explaining concept running in a straight line is just as bad for you as sitting still, enemy aims easier.

Take this concept I will teach about the Mosin Nagant sights and apply it to every iron sight. The Mosin Nagant has a ring sight, put the suspect pixel in there and line it up with the sight post. Scopes really add a lot of confidence, but with iron sights you must trust your gut.

Every man take this concept to at least target the enemy.

Any terrain, any weapons. Not always a direct forward attack, some times forward one side then fall back while another side pushes up under the others distraction or firepower. Swarming tactics required, human waves should be sending bullet waves. Bullet storms. No tactic is stupid, it just has to be done right with at least micro terrain to survive.

Although I did teach what I called this "Dance" one time for the open ground of Dry Creek Bed in Battle of Ia Drang LZ X-Ray where you don't need cover, you just need each other. If you are getting shot at bring the tracking of enemy fire away from friendlies, if not getting shot at shoot for the guy getting shot at. Of course this is after drilling 1 man per piece of cover, 1 man hit per RPG formation whole round which is required for the dance.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-06, 22:43   #3
labonte95
Supporting Member

Insurgent factions get hideouts. You get a car with 2 squadmates and can easily put 2-3 hideouts around enemy flag. Plus, you can build spg's, and machine guns with infinite ammo generating. How are the insurgent factions too weak on AAS? They get the best of AK's and M4's, SPG techies, which are one of the best assets in the game, and so much more. Taliban beat USMC on Kunar all the time. Maybe your issue is with map balance instead of faction issues?

Thanks to WarEagle751 for the Signature pic!
labonte95 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-07, 00:01   #4
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by labonte95 View Post
Insurgent factions get hideouts. You get a car with 2 squadmates and can easily put 2-3 hideouts around enemy flag. Plus, you can build spg's, and machine guns with infinite ammo generating. How are the insurgent factions too weak on AAS? They get the best of AK's and M4's, SPG techies, which are one of the best assets in the game, and so much more. Taliban beat USMC on Kunar all the time. Maybe your issue is with map balance instead of faction issues?
I wasn't referring to the Taliban nor any other opfor faction. I am specifically pointing out the Insurgents team proper is weaker on AAS. Even though they may only map appear on one map; Kafr Halab, Infantry layer. They still feel 'lacking' for lack of a better term. Especially with means to counter armored vehicles. While yes, the Insurgents faction does get an SPG Technical aka "Techie," and Suicide Dump Truck; henceforth referred to as "Gary," to deal with armored threats. And they have the advantage in hideouts and emplacements. The problem with both; is time and probability. Most Insurgent suicide vehicle attempts fail. Especially with the Gary, being so large and noticeable. The SPG techie while being smaller and less noticeable, is much more vulnerable to infantry and small arms fire. It takes forever to build hideouts and emplacements; to counter an armored vehicle; that may no longer be there, when you are finally done building said emplacements. Not to mention the lack of a requestable ammo bearer kit, to supply said emplacements. What Insurgents faction need on AAS layers is more readily accessible, personal firepower. That does not put their own team in danger(Aka sappers and their mines). I believe the simplest and best solution would be to clone the co-operative layer Insurgent kits, with choice modifications to better retain the 'feel' of the original team.

Note: I am not including Skirmish layers, which technically are AAS, but those layers lack vehicles and are heavily focus on infantry combat in close quarters situations. Which is something that insurgents are competitive in.
Old 2023-02-07, 12:15   #5
axytho
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
I wasn't referring to the Taliban nor any other opfor faction. I am specifically pointing out the Insurgents team proper is weaker on AAS. Even though they may only map appear on one map; Kafr Halab, Infantry layer. They still feel 'lacking' for lack of a better term. Especially with means to counter armored vehicles. While yes, the Insurgents faction does get an SPG Technical aka "Techie," and Suicide Dump Truck; henceforth referred to as "Gary," to deal with armored threats. And they have the advantage in hideouts and emplacements. The problem with both; is time and probability. Most Insurgent suicide vehicle attempts fail. Especially with the Gary, being so large and noticeable. The SPG techie while being smaller and less noticeable, is much more vulnerable to infantry and small arms fire. It takes forever to build hideouts and emplacements; to counter an armored vehicle; that may no longer be there, when you are finally done building said emplacements. Not to mention the lack of a requestable ammo bearer kit, to supply said emplacements. What Insurgents faction need on AAS layers is more readily accessible, personal firepower. That does not put their own team in danger(Aka sappers and their mines). I believe the simplest and best solution would be to clone the co-operative layer Insurgent kits, with choice modifications to better retain the 'feel' of the original team.

Note: I am not including Skirmish layers, which technically are AAS, but those layers lack vehicles and are heavily focus on infantry combat in close quarters situations. Which is something that insurgents are competitive in.
Honestly Kafr Halab AAS infantry is very interesting: if the Insurgents try to play individualistically, they lose. If they coordinate with (deep breath):

- 2 rocket technicals
- mortars + 4 support technicals
- 7 (seven!, VII!, 7!) 50 cal technicals
- SPG-9 technical
- Bomb truck
- ZiS-3 emplacements
- ZSU-23 emplacements
- Infinite RKG's

They can easily win everything.

YOU JUST HAVE TO MARK INF/APC's WHEN YOU SEE THEM, NOT THAT DIFFICULT.

Like seriously, just call out/ mark enemy hide-outs/apc's/full squads when you see them, and don't be lazy about buidling hideouts, and winning Kafr as insurgents is easy.
axytho is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-07, 22:04   #6
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by axytho View Post
Honestly Kafr Halab AAS infantry is very interesting: if the Insurgents try to play individualistically, they lose. If they coordinate with (deep breath):

- 2 rocket technicals
- mortars + 4 support technicals
- 7 (seven!, VII!, 7!) 50 cal technicals
- SPG-9 technical
- Bomb truck
- ZiS-3 emplacements
- ZSU-23 emplacements
- Infinite RKG's

They can easily win everything.

YOU JUST HAVE TO MARK INF/APC's WHEN YOU SEE THEM, NOT THAT DIFFICULT.

Like seriously, just call out/ mark enemy hide-outs/apc's/full squads when you see them, and don't be lazy about buidling hideouts, and winning Kafr as insurgents is easy.
A team's quality and skill of it's players, are not the issue here. The complete and utter lack firepower in PvP situations is. Not just against vehicles, but infantry too. Insurgents need more self defense capability. I'd say that less than half of all spawn screen Insurgent kits are viable for self defense. On the flip side the FSA is armed with mostly AKs and they are much more flexible.

Officer: FAL is mediocre, too much recoil, not enough extra damage over the AK to justify using it. Hi-Power + Romanian AK is god tier.

Insurgent 1: Chinese AK is decent. G3 same problem as FAL. But the whole kit feels lacking. Only one frag and one smoke?

Insurgent 2: SKS is adequate, but not in CQB. Mosin is a bolt action; it's like the SKS but magnified in good and in bad traits. Only plus the kit has is ammo bags and frags.

Insurgent 3: AK is great. RKGs are ok. But sometimes you want regular frag grenades. Because RKGs can be a liability.

Insurgent 4: The 870 is great in CQB. But anything past 20m is a pain. Lee-Enfield is great for longer range standoffs and has great sights. But again it's a bolt action. Great that it has frags and ammo though.

Collaborator: The vz.61 is dogshit. Too high recoil and too little damage. No point in going civi medic at all. Rope is nice but feels outta place.

Sapper: Insurgent's biggest liability. I've seen way more teamkills because of misplaced AT Mines and Watercans on kafr halab inf than any other insurgency map.

I'm not including pickup kits into the equation, because they are rare and a non factor.