project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2023-02-10, 02:22   #11
dcm
Default Re: New Logistics feature for tanks, loading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
Resupplying based on weapon type would require a massive rework of how rearming works. We would have to hack our own rearm system to ream the 50cal on top, but not the 120mm. While it would be nice to have, the amount of work required to get this to work make it a low priority issue.
Shame.

Well how about a deployable miniature resupply bay? It can resupply vehicles in the field. But it must be shoveled first and it needs a constant supply of ammo bags to keep it functioning. Repairs should always be free and available. Maybe it could only resupply one tank shell per ammo bag? Or maybe have it only do field repairs? Faster than what the logi drops but slower than the big resupply/repair bay.

P.S. Can Unconventional factions get droppable field repairs? Last I checked FSA does not get field repairs. Maybe have the support/logi techie drop field repairs too? It fits the role.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-10, 12:11   #12
labonte95
Supporting Member

Have a separate vehicle with the sole purpose of resupplying other vehicles and assets?

Maybe it would only resupply them to half, as to still incentivize RTB's. The resupply vehicle could have a longer resupply time at main as well, and maybe a delayed/extended respawn time. This way, a majority of APC's and tanks will still RTB, but for the few squads using teamwork, it could add extra field time for their squad. Also if the resupply vehicle is separate, it wont interfere with fob balance.

The resupply vehicle could also have more splash damage considering its filled with munitions. Maybe enough to kill a tank/apc its resupplying if the enemy blows the truck up.

I love the idea of more ways of field resupplies, as it opens up the possibility for actual logistic squads to exist.

Thanks to WarEagle751 for the Signature pic!
labonte95 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-14, 13:45   #13
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

AFAIK tanks are not resupplied on front line. They go out for a mission, survivors return back to base where they are serviced and resupplied, and then they go out again next day.
Last edited by bad_nade; 2023-02-25 at 10:29..
Old 2023-02-19, 01:47   #14
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
Resupplying based on weapon type would require a massive rework of how rearming works. We would have to hack our own rearm system to ream the 50cal on top, but not the 120mm. While it would be nice to have, the amount of work required to get this to work make it a low priority issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
At this point I just think you personally hate me.

But I will answer you in good faith.

Emplacement can already be resupplied with ammo bags. Then why not vehicle machine guns? I can understand not wanting to resupply cannons or main guns with ammo bags. But machine guns? I dont see why not.
Throw an ammo bag on any empty RHIB boat, completely re-fills it in any location, already works for that.

I would like for 1 shell to be re-armed per ammo bag on tanks, have it reload to whatever ammo type gunner has selected.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-19, 05:29   #15
dcm

I'm not an asset whore. To the contrary, I quite hate dealing with assets, because they magnify both the skill or the lack there of, of the players using them. One good asset squad can win the whole game. Or lose it entirely. Field resupply might be too strong of a buff for tanks and other vehicles. But I still do believe that vehicle machine guns should have a way of being resupplied in the field. Especially for techies and humvees.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-24, 12:27   #16
Gerfand

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless_noob View Post
AFAIK tanks are not resupplied on front line. They go out for a mission, survivors return back to base where they are serviced and requpplied, and then they go out again next day.
Yes, if anything what would make sense if lighter vehicles being able to get ammo, which could be easly done, but that raises a question, why do it? and can it be exploited?

Today the system, for Light Vehicles, which lots of time bring ammo for the infantry btw, is that you need to RTB after you fire all yours 500 or something rounds of .50 in some enemy infantry in Insurgency mode. but moving back to your base may not be viable, maybe you have only 1 mag left, and you already half way done with yours, the infantry is pushing into the Cache and you need to keep firing

I have 2 solutions for this:
1- For Light Vehicles only, and this is working on one assumption I either from PR, Vanilla BF2 or even BF-2142, is that Helicopters with Heavy Supply crates can, using a shared ammo pool, drop a "Vehicle ammo crate", now the Assumption is that BF2 allows for Shared Ammo pools. This special Crate would require a new model and texture, give no supply and maybe re-arm (light)Vehicles and Infantry, could also be used for Heavies at a cost of like 2 APFSDS shells for the entire "Big Ammo crate", which means its better to RTB if you did something more than fire 2 rounds
The way to not allow this to be exploited, or at least heavly, is to make the process slow, to make the radius be small, requiring the vehicle to either almost be touching the crate, and to allow the enemy to ressuply, like ammo crates... Also it also depends on the possiblity of re-arming vehicles with allowing re-arming in other ways.. basically not allow riflemen with ammo bags to "Carry" a big tank round

The other idea is:

If you have 4 Supplies, you can make a Foward Supply Depot, this basically would be the static equivalent to the Logi Repair, and would allow you to not travel all the way back to base just to get those 2 roudns of APFSDS that your gunner shoot, once by messing around, the other when he was going to get Thermals. this unlike the first would not (necessarly) have and ammo limit, and maybe could even give repairs, at a very slow pace, to vehicles, destroying one could also give a ticket drop of X tickets, but the most important, This could work for both, and would mean you theorically have your tank out of combat for much less time. In this case the idea is akin to a "Foward Retreat" From CoH2 (run less, but the reinforce is slower), meaning it would be only usefull for Big, specially 4km, maps, and would be more and more usefull as map gets bigger, as Logistics are more and more important the more you need to travel.

Now for the technical side, implementing the "Requires 4 crates" is easy, implementing the UI is a bit harder, but still easy compared to the next thing, which is, implementing the Model and the "how building works in PR", aka, theres always a raised section to not allow it to go underground or something else
Gerfand is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-26, 15:16   #17
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerfand View Post
The other idea is: If you have 4 Supplies, you can make a Foward Supply Depot, this basically would be the static equivalent to the Logi Repair, and would allow you to not travel all the way back to base just to get those 2 roudns of APFSDS that your gunner shoot, once by messing around, the other when he was going to get Thermals. this unlike the first would not (necessarly) have and ammo limit, and maybe could even give repairs, at a very slow pace, to vehicles, destroying one could also give a ticket drop of X tickets,
Now this idea is a bit more interesting. But also, wtf? Do you really need to rearm those 2 rounds of AP? It absolutely needs to be slower and have a limited supply - but should also be able to be supplied itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerfand View Post
Now for the technical side, implementing the "Requires 4 crates" is easy, implementing the UI is a bit harder, but still easy compared to the next thing, which is, implementing the Model and the "how building works in PR", aka, there's always a raised section to not allow it to go underground or something else
I would be okay with it if it uses a modified version of the thing in mainbases, or even the same thing. I think it also should be enterable for it to work by one player, simulating someone actually bringing the supplies to the vehicle.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-27, 02:42   #18
Gerfand

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
Now this idea is a bit more interesting. But also, wtf? Do you really need to rearm those 2 rounds of AP? It absolutely needs to be slower and have a limited supply - but should also be able to be supplied itself.

I would be okay with it if it uses a modified version of the thing in mainbases, or even the same thing. I think it also should be enterable for it to work by one player, simulating someone actually bringing the supplies to the vehicle.
oh it was just a joke, now the reason why I said "Unlimited" for Rearm and Repairs is half because Repairs should absolutely be free, but for Rearming, its just cutting development, yes I forgot you can just throw a ammo bag that is eaten by a TOW (the same way I forgot Light MGs/ Automatic Rifles are the one thing to have shared mags).

The way I would see it, lets call this option as the "Foward Logistic Base" or "FLB" for short, is akin to COH, like the Soviet Repair Station and German Command Bunkers, or the "Ober Commando" Second Half Track base, all which "Passively" repair vehicles... that said this allows for 2 possibilities, now I always try to stay Conservative on my suggestions because I know Devs cannot do magic, specially on something like the BF2 engine, but I gonna lay out another option that I think could work even better, but not necessarly for BF2/PR (or even Squad).

1- After building a FOB with more Supplies the Team can decided to build a FLB, the base will be able to repair, at a bit slower rate than the Base repair, but still faster than field repairs, and rearm at the same rate but with a cost, with a Buffer that allows at maximum the re-arming of 2 Tanks, this buffer need to manually be reloaded with supply crates, which could be a "special' supply crate, (basically my first option fro the last post but implemented for this as well) that by itself can rearm vehicles, however at a lower efficency, be time or supply wise.

Something being done so the Buffer cannot be surpassed

2- Basically the Same thing but isntead of a Building, which I know in PR can be removed from some maps, its a Vehicle that "deploy" into a Building, the vehicle could then allow for respawning of troops like a FOB (this would allow for Re-Crewing of Vehicles),but not making of fortifications, acting more like a SL Rally. The Repair and Rearm would be the same as the First option.

Actually thinking now, depending on how you interpret "Deploy", you could make this in PR, basically it would be like a Shieldless, stationary, Titan from BF-2142...

Like if you can make an 3rd Truck type for larger maps (like I said I don't think this should be done in less than a 4km map), which spawns after 10 or 20min with a 10min delay for respawn, the truck being just a Logi with a giant wrench and screw driver on the Canvas to show its a FLB, the Deploy would be done by "Firing" the vehicle after being stationary, which would create a working repair spot besides it, with some markers to show what it is.

Now the problem here is, while you can make some dude stay on the vehicle for the repair duration, what you really want is it to just "deploy" and leave, as the player, but not as the vehicle, with it moving, breaking the repair point. Maybe that can be done by having the Hitbox actually being under the truck, extremely easy to destroy (by the truck itself), and the Truck auto-reloading it, like the existing Logi repair station.
Last edited by Gerfand; 2023-02-27 at 02:49.. Reason: better coehision