project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2024-03-05, 16:39   #11
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Default Re: Screen-Door Transparency

Vegetation is already quite good concealment in PR. Screen-Door Transparency would be more suitable for distant objects, or objects in shadow (if possible).
bad_nade is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-06, 09:11   #12
mebel
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless_noob View Post
Vegetation is already quite good concealment in PR. Screen-Door Transparency would be more suitable for distant objects, or objects in shadow (if possible).
Yes, what I am proposing is to apply it to distant objects, beyond certain distance. The previous photo is to show that vegetation obscures things, and irl that doesn't change over a distance - the grass is still there, concealing things.
mebel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-06, 11:36   #13
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

I am not sure the transparency would be suitable for this. It would be applied to everything past a certain distance regardless of vegitation. So even in desert it would fade out

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-08, 10:53   #14
mebel
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
I am not sure the transparency would be suitable for this. It would be applied to everything past a certain distance regardless of vegitation. So even in desert it would fade out
However even in the desert we can observe that player models are outstanding over a distance.
mebel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-09, 05:20   #15
Grump/Gump.45
Exclamation Re: Screen-Door Transparency

If pixelation, blur or "transparency" are not options. What about fade? Fading the player based on distance and light. Messing around with different light settings, different distances. Naked eye, scope and binoculars.

This is probably the hardest thing, matching perception of real life visuals into a game, which is subjectively different for most people. To an acceptable level we all agree on, but this isn't some regular person in a grassy field wearing a red shirt walking their dog, this is camouflage.

In the desert sun when you cast a shadow, it makes you more visible, directly above or efven more when you are between sun and enemy. Even while prone. Not worried about desert. Shadows anywhere can get you spotted, any inconsistency in areas of concealment a good eye can spot. But desert is very easy

Well the most frustrating thing is being seen while using vegetation as back drop. Especially as factions without painted skin on face and hands. Gloves or anything.

The white stands out that much. Russian pixel camouflage matches the low hanging evergreen branches that like umbrella out with direct ground contact. But their face and hands give them away, like a suspicious spec to target in the vegatation.

Then all the snow trees, their branches don't touch the ground, the branches don't act weighed down, not good for camouflage.

Then the trash piles, the static ones on Sbeneh outskirts, why did you guys have to make them shorter? I loved hiding in trash piles ambushing enemy. Its their fault for not shooting the trash. The trash pile doesn't even render that far, only as far as the games short grass. Its like trash bags and rubbish pile in middle of the street. Do I need to dive into trash to show its possible to camouflage a fighter this way? A trash ghillie suit?

So many things can be done to avoid being seen. Play dead, climb trees, bushes, trash. Making every tree act like a rope, or just making E allow you to climb certain objects you are in contact with. It would take less time and effort to get people fighting from trees. I have found 2 types of trees we can climb.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote