project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2024-07-31, 22:32   #1
M4_UA
Default Instant deafness when wounded

I think recent update concerning deafening players after being down=wounded is not right.
People normally dont lose 100% hearing after being wounded, so my suggestion is to revert it to old settings or make sounds 50-70% quieter.
Last edited by M4_UA; 2024-07-31 at 23:02..
Old 2024-07-31, 22:45   #2
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Default Re: Instant deafness when wounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_UA View Post
I think recent update concerning deafening players after being down=wounded is not right.
People normally dont lose 100% hearing after being wounded, so my suggestion is to revert it to old settings or make sounds 50-70% quieter.
The reason to cut sounds is to prevent downed player from telling what's going on around him. Until now it was common practice to relay information to squad members and in local chat about enemy presence. Because of various third-party voice chats, we can't prevent communication from happening. Something else had to be done.
bad_nade is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-31, 23:05   #3
M4_UA

ok, can you limit the time of what person hears after being down like for 20-30-40 seconds?
M4_UA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-08-01, 10:37   #4
[R-CON]​CAS_ual_TY
PR:BF2 Contributor
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

That would undo what the previous poster just told you

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-08-01, 21:38   #5
izmash
PR Server License Administrator

Hi, deafened audio when wounded is by far the worst change since I started playing PR:

- First of all when being wounded now I'm almost instantly loosing all intrest and invlovement into playing, most of the time i will just go alt+tab, because it cuts off my senses and it makes me feel useless
- Secondly this change makes me discourage to being squadleader, when being wounded I'm loosing all ability to manage my squad properly, I can't give new orders and everything is in chaos now. I can't imagine how hard is to be noobish squadleader now.
- It's not consistent, because after dying sound get mouted to like > 90%, but ambient is still on same high level
- It surely helped to inform other squad mates about enemy, but on other hand it helped woundeds and medics to find each other.

I agree this change is realistic, but for me its gamebreaking and will make entry level to game much harder, anyway players could inform about enemy presence on mumble as well.

https://youtu.be/MGpFEv1-mAo?si=10PTa5-BUIgsstF8
izmash is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-08-02, 22:37   #6
M4_UA

It's not "realistic", it's just about not being able to give any intel to team members while wounded, but I wish I could have a few seconds delay to "deafness" just to understand what killed me.
M4_UA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-08-03, 04:52   #7
waldov

I love the concept of wounded deafness and agree that it's been long overdue.

But as pointed out in this thread, the current implementation is very jarring and immersion breaking. The transition from all senses engaged in a firefight to instant *mute* just kills the engagement factor.

If there was a delayed deafness or even a fading deafness that gave players a 30 second-minute transition from combat to the "other side", i feel like this would better cover both sides of the coin. Maintaining engagement with the game while nullyfing the game breaking (imo) human listening post that wounded/dead players can become.

Instant deafness upon death is still a great addition that doesn't need touching, gives the right amount of "oh shit!" factor to getting blasted, but wounded should have a bit more of a middle ground in my opinion and that of many players I've talked to about it so far.
waldov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-08-03, 04:54   #8
InchPincherToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_nade View Post
The reason to cut sounds is to prevent downed player from telling what's going on around him. Until now it was common practice to relay information to squad members and in local chat about enemy presence. Because of various third-party voice chats, we can't prevent communication from happening. Something else had to be done.
When did you even realized this was a problem though? Tbh, nowadays people just gave up already when they wounded and there's no medic nearby. Even on frontline combat, telling people about the intel on enemy movement after wounded like that aren't always accurate in terms on communication.

I'm pretty sure with this nerf, people just go straight gave up and the frequency of this will just go up in the future, probably wasting tickets even more by dying, without telling any intel. If desperate, they'll resort using Medic call commorose, giving away the position of your teammates if your medic and the others looking for the wounded. I'm sure that this is what people avoid the most in general, they'll stay on local chat.

Most of the maps i remembered has a 3-4 hours time limit in deployment (idk, maybe less than that depending on the server). The gameplay time is probably going to be more faster with this occured and idk if this what people want the most, with the deaf exist.

Just to note that i'm not against this change, i can still hear a little around me when wounded, but at least i'm not getting jumpscared after hearing a high-pitched sound and got a shot from nowhere.
InchPincherToo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-08-03, 08:06   #9
Danesh_italiano
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
It's not "realistic", it's just about not being able to give any intel to team members while wounded, but I wish I could have a few seconds delay to "deafness" just to understand what killed me.
agreed!

5 seconds will do.

I only know that I know nothing. Só sei que nada sei. Sólo sé que no sé nada. So solo di non sapere nulla. Tantum scio me nihil scire. Je sais seulement que je ne sais rien. Tiedän vain, etten tiedä mitään. Ich weiss nur dass ich nichts weiss. Ek weet net dat ek niks weet nie. Wiem tylko, ?e nic nie wiem. Heoi ko ahau anake e mohio ana kahore au e mohio. Ngiyazi kuphela ukuthi angazi lutho.
Danesh_italiano is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-08-04, 10:36   #10
Crylink

Quote:
I wish I could have a few seconds delay to "deafness" just to understand what killed me.
But then you could alert your teammates to the danger.

Imagine you've managed to sneak up behind a bunch of enemy players , you stab someone and he immediately alerts everyone to your presence.

my point is that it goes both ways and maybe a better option would be to make 3D replay more accessible so you could learn from your mistakes
Crylink is offline Reply With Quote