project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2007-11-02, 14:15   #1
MadTommy
Supporting Member
Default AGP graphics card advice please.

Hello all... my system is getting a little old..

x800 pro - graphics
AMD 3500+ - cpu
x-Fi gaming - sound
2 GB RAM
150 sata HD

I keep on reading differing advice on agp cards. (i'm not going to pci express, waste of money, so dont go there pls). The GeForce 7800GS has my attention.

So what graphics card should i get?? any informed help would be great

Thanks.
Old 2007-11-02, 15:12   #2
random pants

the REAL waste of money here is sticking with an AGP...I'm sorry but if you really think that sticking with AGP in this day and age is the right move then you're a complete idiot.
Old 2007-11-02, 15:20   #3
MadTommy
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random pants View Post
the REAL waste of money here is sticking with an AGP...I'm sorry but if you really think that sticking with AGP in this day and age is the right move then you're a complete idiot.
hmm how to respond to that... i think a warning will be a start. Calling me a complete idiot is uncalled for.

Do you think i want to change my mobo, cpu & ram just to move over to pci express. No i don't. I'm gonna put a 4800+ cpu in and a new agp card and i'll be flying. So thanks for your constructive help.

edit: Save your breath...You'll need it to blow up your girlfriend.
Last edited by MadTommy; 2007-11-02 at 16:40.. Reason: to add an insult of my own
Old 2007-11-02, 15:25   #4
=HR=Drayu

I believe that the 7900gs was the highest AGP card offered. But that is off the top of my head at this moment.
Old 2007-11-02, 15:28   #5
MadTommy
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =HR=Drayu View Post
I believe that the 7900gs was the highest AGP card offered. But that is off the top of my head at this moment.
thanks m8.. the kind of responce i was looking for
Old 2007-11-02, 15:29   #6
=HR=Drayu

Ok, I guess I meant 7800GS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130274
Old 2007-11-02, 17:38   #7
MrD
Supporting Member

If your power supply can manage to give out the 34a (for pci-e version at least!) need over dual rails in atx 2.1 format then you will be wanting the agp x1950pro. (34a version of PSU will drive pc and single x1950pro pci-e, 38a version of psu will drive crossfrie x1950pro pci-e version)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=GX-004-GC £94+p&p for gecube version

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126851 £95 inc free postage on supersaver 5 day delivery for HIS version

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126420 sapphire x1950gt £81 inc free 5day supersaver delivery. Supposedly the pci-e version overclocks to near the same speeds as x1950pro but it does have less features. Placing it in this group as a bit of a budget offering.

remember though, good PSU needed for cards of this class. Make sure you know what yours is, if you don't know if it is going to be capable of running decent card then post full specs of PSU here.

You should be alright with your current components and a x1950pro. ensure your mobo has a full 8x agp slot before buying. There are some dual core type mobos available still with agp slots, I mention this as the next upgrade you might make to get a faster, less laggy pc overall might include mnew mobo, dual core cpu and ddr2 ram to go with it and then the card and psu will go over to the next build. If you are budget restricted, those are your options. Be aware though that you can pay £72 for a pci-e x1950pro, £40 for mobo, £50 on a dual core cpu and £43 on 2 gigs of pc6400 some places which will increase your system overall. If you need to change your psu now you are looking at about £145 for PSU and agp x1950pro and that will bite when gaming lifts a level and you find your current chipset, cpu and ram can't cope but the GPU has overhead you can use.

[R-MOD]Mongolian Dude:
AH man, sarcasm is so hard to get across the web, even if we are both british
[R-DEV]Jaymz: That has to be...the most epic response to a welcome thread I have ever seen. [R-CON]Mr.D ladies and gentlemen!
Last edited by MrD; 2007-11-02 at 17:44..
Old 2007-11-02, 17:54   #8
MadTommy
Supporting Member

Thanks Mr.D... interesting.. i have full AGP x8 and top of the range Hiper power supply.. so i'll be looking at this.

Tags
advice, agp, card, graphics