project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.7 Feedback Forum
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2008-03-21, 12:44   #11
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

If hes at 600, how do you know HE wasn't a sniper?

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Old 2008-03-21, 12:55   #12
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Hax.

But seriously, deviation right now is quite good. At 600m it's very hard for a rifleman to kill someone, so either he was very good, very lucky, or not a rifleman, or he didn't shoot you.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

Old 2008-03-21, 13:35   #13
CodeC.Seven

he was at our teamspeak server -.- thats why i know it...
Old 2008-03-21, 14:21   #14
nedlands1

It's really hard to model firer based inaccuracies purely with the deviation modifiers, which is done now. If you double the range, you half the likelihood of hitting the target in-game (assuming you aim at the same part of the target and you don't take into account the minimal drop). IRL the case is different. I had a look at the probability distributions of a US soldier firing his M16 at a 19" target at various ranges (Source: FM3-22.9 Chapter 6 FIELD Fire (Phase III of Basic Rifle Marksmanship)). Compare the probability of hitting a target at 50m and 300m of an average group of soldiers. At 50m it is expected that an average soldier will hit the target 95% of the time and 50% of the time at 300m. If you made the rifle true to the values @ 50m, at 300m it would be way off ( 95% chance to hit @ 50m and 15 5/6% chance at 300m if I'm not mistaken).

Solution. Find a way to incorporate sway into the system. Use the clamped accuracy values as the baseline values for the coded deviation values and if the sway can't be dependent on the firer's position and steadiness then approximate this in the coded deviation values too. Use extensive testing to get the right sway amounts.

Rather large problem. Sway can't be easily incorporated into BF2 like in BF2142. If I'm not mistaken, FH2 has limited sway with the sniper rifle via an undoubtedly fiddly animation fix. I'm not sure if it purely a cosmetic addition (ie the point of aim changes but not the point of impact) or if it truly works. If it really works then implementing it and finding those right values would be an arduous task. Worth it in the end I reckon.
Old 2008-03-21, 14:37   #15
Sabre_tooth_tigger

The rifle is only accurate upto 300m from what I understand, past that he will have to correct for bullet drop and by the time its 600m and without calculating before hand it was extreme luck that he'd take you out easily, let alone actually be able to see you
Last edited by Sabre_tooth_tigger; 2008-03-21 at 14:55..

Tags
aim