project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2015-02-16, 06:00   #91
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member
Default Re: New GFX Card for Whino

I was talking about video quality Daniel.

Shadowplay has lower cpu/gpu utilization, which is great. But it's also limited to 720p or 1080p30Hz in most instances.

with the GTX970 and i72600k in that setup, for PR, Rhino can use OBS without concern for CPU utilization.
I use OBS to stream PR with a i5-3570k and gtx670 and OBS rarely takes more than 9% of my CPU.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 07:39   #92
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Cheers Oralis, not really looking to do any streaming thou, at least not yet, mainly interested in capturing videos and publishing them later

Can you do that with OBS?

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 22:58   #93
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

Yes, possible (in OBS settings drop down menu " save as file") but Windows Movie Maker can't edit the OBS .flv file (which is my problem), so I use Loilo Game Recorder (.avi but bit high CPU usage), but afaik you can choose the fps capture ratio in Shadowplay settings afaik?
Daniel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 23:40   #94
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Rhino, I'll help you out however I can, PM me and I can get more into it, it's a long bit of setup for first use, but after that it's simply switching 2 options (takes about ten seconds), so you're either recording to local drive, or streaming to twitch/youtube.

As Daniel mentioned, OBS records to a format not accessible to a few common editing software programs, but there are ways to convert files quickly without losing fidelity due to file format conversion/remuxing. (Handbrake, etc)

PM me, I'll get you sorted.

Old 2015-02-16, 23:47   #95
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

in general, lots of options,
for freeware:
AviDemux 2.6.8 v2 / 150215 Beta is incredibly fast.
Added bonus of converting the OBS flv to lossless MKV is that the upload to youtube is MUCH MUCH faster since YT doesn't have to convert the file to a streamable container format.

some more options including non-freeware:
convert .flv to .mkv losslessly

Old 2015-02-16, 23:58   #96
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

OK, I stand partially corrected.

Shadowplay allows 60hz recording to local files in .mp4 format.

I think I stopped using shadowplay too early, before they had implemented this almost a year ago.

Old 2015-02-17, 13:25   #97
WelshManDan
Supporting Member

Rhino how is the 970 holding up? Im looking to buy one now and it seems the best card suited for me.

Also, whats the model you chose? I have the same processor, RAM and only a slightly lower PSU than you so I imagine our performance would be the sameish.
WelshManDan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 17:36   #98
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I got this one in the end: EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

I haven't been able to try it out really yet thou as for one, my PC has screwed up big time for some unknown reason, not sure if its related to installing the new GFX card without a full format as I would normally do or something else but parts of windows etc are missing etc, hard enough to boot the PC up, and at the same time I've been struck down by a really nasty dose of the flu and haven't been able to drag myself out of bed long enough to fix it... In fact this is the first time I've been on these forums in the past 3 days....

But what I can say is its super quiet in ideal mode as the fans don't spin when in it, and going by the 3DMark tests I've done on the last page performance looks good

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-19, 10:24   #99
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

Awesome, the epic high-OCd version, nice!

Hope you get well soon.
Daniel is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
card, gfx, whino