project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-28, 06:23   #91
JKJudgeX
Default Re: AK-47 Accuracy... really?

Not to be contrary, but...

1) I wouldn't have posted here if I hadn't played 0.87 with the AK-47. It's not very good.

2) We haven't really discussed the penetration difference between the two rounds in question, 7.62x39 will go through cinder block and most other common building materials, trees, etc and create secondary projectiles. 5.56 simply will not, 45 degree angle, or straight on. Watch US Military training video "Concealment does not equal cover" Basic Urban Skills Training - Concealment does NOT equal Cover for a comparison of the two rounds.

Now, why would I mention this? If the extra penetration cannot be easily handled by the engine, then, the weapon system should be compensated in some other way. Many, many vietnam era soldiers despised the 5.56 because of its failure to punch through dense vegetation.

3) Honestly, I wouldn't even complain if it didn't "Feel" wrong. I play lots of FPS games, and the only one that's simultaneously "worth playing" and also simultaneously "worth complaining about" is Project Reality. Did Call of Duty Modern Warfare get any of the guns right? No. But it's not worth talking about, it's basically a cartoon. PR does such a good job in so many other places, that the complete TRASH handling on the AK (yes, even in 0.87) makes playing the insurgency factions a NOVELTY at best "oh neat, it's fun to be the underdog".

AK-47 vs. M-16 isn't bows and arrows vs. laserguns in the real world, it shouldn't be in PR, either.

4) Cite all the sources you want, honestly, it won't help the game. The key is to get out there and fire a few rounds. It's not that hard. AK-47's and M-16's are designed to be 1 man MoA. Modern, nicely taken care of, HOBBYIST AR-15's can be upgraded into 1 MoA rifles. Who knows what the real thing is pushing? I've only ever fired a really nicely put together AR-15, and it can easily hit a paper plate at 100 yards... but, so can an AK-47. I'm not sure EITHER weapon can hit a paper plate at 100 yards in PR.

Oh yeah you might be stressed or whatever, but, also, sometimes adrenaline kicks in and IMPROVES one's capabilities. Shooting at the range, relaxed, I'm very prone to not do my best, because I don't care. If someone told me I was going to die if I didn't do my best? I might be a better shot. Nobody is saying the bullet should be a laser beam, but, I'm surely not the only person who has complained about the difficulty of shooting people as insurgents in this game. I pretty much dread playing insurgents because of the terrible gun handling.
Last edited by JKJudgeX; 2009-12-28 at 06:32..
Old 2009-12-28, 07:55   #92
USMCMIDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberNative View Post
the second youtube link seems to have been removed.

i've never shot an ak47, but from what i've understood, ammo has a noticeable effect on grouping. i've also understood that there's a slight difference comparing top shelf ammunition in western stores through a gun you might own.

now visualize maltreated ak47s with old surplus or leftover ammunition from the afghan war ;P
true often AK47s used by resistance armies purchase cheap end ammo and this ammo is only really accurate for 50-100yards and that is pushing it to 100.

I have shot friend owned Aks whit match grade ammo and shot 2 inch groups at 100 yards with not much of a problem. Keep in mind it takes longer to sight in down range than the m16 but....

and I have shot AKs imported from Iraq with cheap warn out ammo and believe it or not it is much more difficult to achieve groups liek that after 50 yards I was really struggling to make 6-7 inch groupings so it is realistic to decrease the accuracy. Also the way the AKs sights are made up make it a lot more difficult to aim than other rifles such as the G3, M16 series, FAMAS etc...

The guys arguing that they can make these god like shots with the AK proly have never shot 1 made by the Soviets (a lot of guys who say they have fired 1s have never fired one cheaply made from the SU, China, Iran etc... and have fired American, UK, French made AKs) with low budgeted ammo under stress tired etc.... but the AK 47 is a great rifle in a trained soldiers eyes no doubt about that maybe the devs can reduce the accuracy by 1 point (after all this weapon was made out to be a cqc weapon) and decrease the max range so you cant snipe with it anymore.

keep in mind the manufacture has a lot to do with how the weapon fires too liek i said b4 it doesn't matter when the boxes of AKs were cracked open, often those new AKs the Taliban and Iraqis were using were made cheaply and fast in quantity... The AKs most civi gun owners in the states and western countries fire are a whole lot better madde and use decent ammo.... Think ppl the stories you hear of soldiers and marines that say AKs are inaccurate are not lieing (I have nothing against the AK, it is a nice durable and dependable weapon for CQC)
Last edited by USMCMIDN; 2009-12-28 at 09:57..
Old 2009-12-28, 11:10   #93
Vege

I usually change to ins AK kit if i play in BLUEFOR side in insurgency if i'm not using a special kit.
in CQB it beats all the kits.
Old 2009-12-28, 12:13   #94
Endymion

The Ak 47 is fine, it's beter than the 74, and that's a shame though, it's more accurate right? Because i don't feel a difference.
Old 2009-12-28, 12:15   #95
rampo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion View Post
The Ak 47 is fine, it's beter than the 74, and that's a shame though, it's more accurate right? Because i don't feel a difference.
My experience would say the 74 for is a lot more accurate, and im not sure but isn't it so IRL too? Whit the smaller bullet and all...
Old 2009-12-28, 15:37   #96
Herbiie

I like it's accuracy, means to hit something at range I have to put it on Auto, offer a prayer to Allah and blaze away like a real Insurgent
Old 2009-12-28, 15:48   #97
Donatello

great gun.
usually using semi-auto mode. works fine.
burst for <50 m.
Old 2009-12-28, 15:56   #98
hiberNative

the ak is fine, it just needs a bit of focal zoom when scoped in.
Old 2009-12-28, 16:27   #99
Meki

I can kill with it, does me fine :P
Old 2009-12-28, 17:08   #100
Bellator

The AK is quite useful in cqc. But it's also quite effective in medium range combat (like, I think, two hundred meters -- I can't tell distances in PR). The trick for longer ranged engagements is to lay down, wait and aim carefully with the rather good ironsights, which are superior compared to Ak74 (when, I think, in reality its opposite).
Closed Thread

Tags
accuracy, ak47