project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2021-01-03, 09:40   #91
axytho
Supporting Member
Default Re: Tanks losing gun to one frontal AP hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLA_CA View Post
That's not the point. You know a techie can't take a hit, so you have to use it accordingly. But with a tank, you don't really know whether it can or can't take a hit, because that is decided by a random number generator at the exact point which can punish or reward a player regardless of their skill or tactic
So you need to hedge your bets by bringing a second tank, or telling the closes inf squad to hit tank with lat.

This game is not like CS:GO or chess. It has, AND SHOULD have a small element of luck to it. No one complains about spray patterns being random in this game, or mortars being random.

WTF not make it like CS:GO? Because if you do this, it will become unplayable for people who haven't "memorized the spray patters" so to speak.

The community will whither as it will take ~1000 hours of play time before you get your first kill.

Especially considering that people literally shout at you at the end of the game if you screw up assets by not knowing the "meta".
Last edited by axytho; 2021-01-03 at 10:49..
Old 2021-01-03, 12:06   #92
T.E.D.F4257845
PR:BF2 QA Tester

This mechanic adds nothing positive to the gameplay. It more pushes asset players away from playing this game than anything. Why should players be punished by some random number being generated in the background & forced to sit in main for 20 minutes just because of that? I've yet to see an asset player to say "hey, this is one damn good gameplay mechanic, wish we had this earlier" without dripping with sarcasm.

It's damn sad to be on the recieving end as much as it is to see other players get this as well. How many times have I've had the moments when we should have died because I got bored, went full retard and rushed in only to get ambushed by the enemy and shot in the back. But hey, we fired back and knocked out their gun. Fun, right? Great mechanic.

"Never underestimate the power of BRDMs in large groups"
T.E.D.F4257845 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-03, 14:38   #93
[R-CON]​CAS_ual_TY
PR:BF2 Contributor
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by axytho View Post
So you need to hedge your bets by bringing a second tank, or telling the closes inf squad to hit tank with lat.
Because there is always more than 1 tank and because you can always rely on random people!
Oh wait, no, this is 2021 not 2010, nevermind...

Quote:
This game is not like CS:GO or chess. It has, AND SHOULD have a small element of luck to it. No one complains about spray patterns being random in this game, or mortars being random.

WTF not make it like CS:GO? Because if you do this, it will become unplayable for people who haven't "memorized the spray patters" so to speak.
CS:GO also has small elements of luck. But if you do everything right in CS:GO, you will be rewarded 99% of the time.
If you do everything right in a tank on tank engagement in PR, you will only be rewarded 50% of the time. This is not a "small element of luck".
The comparison alone of spray patterns and this mechanic is absolutely retarded.

Quote:
The community will whither as it will take ~1000 hours of play time before you get your first kill.

Especially considering that people literally shout at you at the end of the game if you screw up assets by not knowing the "meta".
Sounds like you have ~1000 hours of play and still get yelled at at the end of the game. Maybe deserved?
Jokes aside, this is not true anymore. Assets arent in elitists' hand as much anymore as they used to be when I started playing. Still not perfect but not as bad as it used to be either.
And it completely seems like you are missing the point here. The point is not "make the game so you must have 1000 hours of play time to be able to properly play a tank". The point is "you can do absolutely everything right and still get fucked over by RNG half the time".

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-03, 15:16   #94
axytho
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_ual_TY View Post
The point is "you can do absolutely everything right and still get fucked over by RNG half the time".
In my humble opinion, doing everything right should involve bringing more than just a tank to fight another tank.

I know the current meta is to meet the other tank far away from the objective and engage in a fair fight.

I also understand that this fight would be a lot fairer if tanks wouldn't lose gun to a frontal AP hit, which is considered "a glancing blow" in the tank duelling community.

I guess you're probably right that if that is the meta, making it perfectly fair and completely not relying on RNG is the best way to go about it. But TBH, just use your team, that's what it's for.

I don't really care about this change. I just find the whole "fair fight" meta stupid.
axytho is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-03, 16:20   #95
[R-DEV]Suchar
PR:BF2 QA Lead
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_ual_TY View Post
The point is "you can do absolutely everything right and still get fucked over by RNG half the time".
Flashbacks from Hairy not fully repairing, frontally attacking enemy tank alone, calling it 'outmaneuvering' for no reason, and crying to devs because he died.

Doing 'absolutely everything right' also includes avoiding terrain damage which quite a few people seem to ignore.

If you do absolutely everything right, you are not going to have your gun or tracks disabled after first hit.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic98978_4.gif
Suchar is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-03, 16:25   #96
InfantryGamer42

Question for DEVs. Is it possible to give crewman ability to check health of vehicle when he is out of it, like we can check amount of supplies of crate when we are near it or how we can check ammo of gun when we press Q? If it is possible, it could "balance" issue for now, at least until Alon pulls out his coding magic again and makes ammo able to register what part of vehicle they hit.
InfantryGamer42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-03, 17:35   #97
[R-CON]​Fastjack

Avoiding terrain damage is also the key.

Question, why so many vehicles reacting so unrealistic bumpy-jumpy and sideslipping/tokyo drifting 3m sidewards by driving 1m forward on a small hill on low speed?

Driving on Fools Road and Sareema isnt fun when you not use the roads.
Fastjack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-03, 18:01   #98
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

But even if you have 5% terrain damage to your tank, and you manage to move on the flank of the enemy team's tank and get the first shot to their side, which might or might not disable their gun, say, it doesn't disable it. Then that tank that got outplayed, turns around, hits your tank in the front and by chance takes your gun out, enabling them to chase you down and destroy your tank. This does not reward smart play.
All you really need to do is have vBF2 tanks shelling it out in a line, except that some might get lucky and others unlucky decided by the game.

In-game: Cobra-PR
PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-03, 18:39   #99
[R-CON]​CAS_ual_TY
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchar View Post
Flashbacks from Hairy not fully repairing, frontally attacking enemy tank alone, calling it 'outmaneuvering' for no reason, and crying to devs because he died.

Doing 'absolutely everything right' also includes avoiding terrain damage which quite a few people seem to ignore.

If you do absolutely everything right, you are not going to have your gun or tracks disabled after first hit.
Yes. People who drive Tanks do not want to lose to RNG because they did not handle their fucking Tank like a fucking porcelain tea cup, only touching it with gloves, wrapping it in safety paper and having people fucking carry it around. Because it is a fucking Tank.

The discussion for this mechanic here in this thread continuinly goes back to this concrete incident that happened. Both by those who defend or those who hate this mechanic. Is it so hard to think of this as a whole, especially after mats has revealed the insides to this mechanic?

Can we just agree already that
  • Yes, if you were damaged already, you deserve to get your gun tracked by a frontal AP shot
  • No, your gun should not get tracked if you were only so slightly damaged
  • And, no, terrain damage is simply anavoidable as of right now and you should not have to worry about that in a fucking Tank unless you purposely start driving into trees, walls and whatnot (because thats how the engine is and you will get terrain damage)

So I am going back to my initial proposal which can very easily make both sides happy:
Can we just lower the threshold for that? Being in disable-range at 98.4% health just seems a little quick. Maybe to <95% for a start? So lower the disable threshold from 65% to 61.5% would give enough leeway for terrain damage.

Quote:
In my humble opinion, doing everything right should involve bringing more than just a tank to fight another tank.

I know the current meta is to meet the other tank far away from the objective and engage in a fair fight.

I also understand that this fight would be a lot fairer if tanks wouldn't lose gun to a frontal AP hit, which is considered "a glancing blow" in the tank duelling community.

I guess you're probably right that if that is the meta, making it perfectly fair and completely not relying on RNG is the best way to go about it. But TBH, just use your team, that's what it's for.

I don't really care about this change. I just find the whole "fair fight" meta stupid.
No, you can add RNG. That is totally fine. The point is that RNG is happening a little too quickly.

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-05, 01:29   #100
Tony_AbbottPBUH

It's fine how it is. I can count on one hand the number of times i've been gun tracked in the past 6 months, let alone first shot. I also manage to never flip armoured vehicles or do other dumb shit you people constantly complain about. Tanks aren't invincible and they aren't all terrain vehicles that can just bounce off large trees or run through gullies at full speed with no detrimental effects.

We've just established that RNG is fine, now we just need to establish that terrain damage is fine and that people should get better at driving so they don't go into a fight with >1% terrain damage so RNG isn't in play until the 2nd hit.
Tony_AbbottPBUH is offline Reply With Quote