project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-16, 21:32   #91
Scot
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Weapon]SPG 9 Recoiless Rifle[WIP]

Go delta! Looking good

Old 2009-03-16, 22:19   #92
Swe_Olsson

keep it up
Old 2009-03-16, 23:05   #93
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

My padawan is doing great :P

oh wait, apprentice...

"Without geometry, life is pointless"
Old 2009-03-17, 00:44   #94
charliegrs

its good to see your continuing work on this. it looks good, i cant wait until its done
Old 2009-03-17, 01:06   #95
DeltaFart

Neither can I
I made the pivot points for the rifle, working on the sights right now. I expect it to be a pain in the ass
Old 2009-03-18, 01:57   #96
DeltaFart

Ok just spent my entire afternoon on this effing sight and still have a lot of work to do to smooth it out!

That black thiing in the last pic is gone, I decided to try and use a cylinder for that. For tommorow!
Rounding needs to be done
THis thing is a tris count hog!!! Its absurd! I hope I can optimize the effing thing
To any con or dev or well acquainted person, do I need to put in every screw detail? like on the two boxes hanging on the front? Noone will ever see it There are screws all over this thing that noone would ever see so would it be worth modellign theM? Im already above 2000 tris for the sight alone!
Old 2009-03-18, 07:31   #97
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: [Weapon] SPG 9 Recoiless Rifle [WIP]

you should not have to model every single screw, should be done with a good texture and a normal map (even though they are ineffective in the bf2 engine) but since they are so small compared to the weapon itself they are not worth using a lot of tris on.

but what i would do is to make some of the cylinders slightly less rounded to cut down on the poly count.
and remember it all depends on the angle that you are seeing the weapon at when operating. you might need to have some of the screws and stuff on the model as you got now in the 1st player model but in the 3rd player model these should definitly be removed.

like for example the part of the sight that you are not looking into is really high on the tri count (it will not be seen by the player when in the 1st player view) and really doesn't need to be that high poly when looked at in the 3rd player)

in regards to the tri count if you stay under 4000-5000 tris for the whole weapon plus technical you should be good i think (only estimating here, z-trooper or rhino would have more experience on this)

but if you make your small details first they are easy to remove and you can easily see the effect on the tri count. when i made my boat i made the engine with a pretty high tri count and then i removed vertices and unneded things and made it feasible.

but basicly your problem with the tri count at the moment is that your cylinders that are not seen are way to smooth compared to their effect.
but most importantly, is the screw on the top of the sight (for sight adjustment) modeled or is that a bump map on it. because if you modeled that it would be insanely high on the tri count
hope that i made some sense and that my help is usefull. but really i am not as experienced as any other modeler in here. but might as well try and help

but is it possible that we could get a wire render of this (in a clay environment or just with edged faces and then screenshot from the viewport)

and good work on the model

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto: "Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac"
[R-CON]Pantera : "maybe you might learn that we are not super intelligent beings chained in UKF's basement being forced to work on this".
Old 2009-03-18, 07:39   #98
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Looking ace there m8, keep it up

Old 2009-03-18, 10:18   #99
ballard_44
Retired PR Developer

very nice...you are learning fast
Old 2009-03-19, 00:15   #100