project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Mapping
19 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2013-05-28, 16:20   #101
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] Prizrak (4km) [WIP]

Quote:
Are there any cons to using the vBF2 Pine Trees instead of the PR ones, like the pine trees on Kozelsk? They seem to be thicker and more natural looking than the PR pine trees.
PR firs are considerably better for performance iirc, but you're right they don't look as good at range.

I'll wait for your next version before reviewing myself

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 18:12   #102
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

Really looking great, can't wait to give play it!
The_Turkish_Moose is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 10:39   #103
tatne

I personally love forest maps and this map looks awesome even it is WIP.
I hope you finish your project and we get to play it (ofc with FDF faction)
tatne is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 14:53   #104
Kovanaama

Situation with this one?
Kovanaama is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 17:14   #105
Element-X_IV

Not forgotten, just very slow work, been more focused on Kumbula. Still a lot of work to be done in the points of interest.

I diverted from the original plot. Added airfields to accommodate jets to both sides to make gameplay a bit more interesting since the map mostly has varying terrain and forestry that wouldn't be too friendly or accessible to ground vehicles.

Also switched to Saarema's trees, thanks to that OG is now down to 19430 objects, with a much denser look, and about 5000 static objects, around 4000+ of which are hand-placed bushes and rock cover.

Also totally forgot to give teh files to Hulabi a while back. lol
But I guess I'll upload it if the FDF team would like to have it now.

Anyway, here's a few random screens and another minimap.

The changes aren't really noticable as I mostly spend time roughening up the terrain and putting bushes and stuff where I see them needed. Less focus on the POIs atm.

Radar Station 1
Radar Station 1-2
Forest
Swamp View
Riverside
Riverside 2

Element-X_IV is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 17:23   #106
Finrar

Looking good
Finrar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 17:25   #107
rodrigoma

looks nice, you can probably use some more objects in detailing as you dont use many but good job
rodrigoma is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 17:58   #108
Hulabi
Supporting Member

Is the map v1.0 compatible yet? If so, i'd love to get my hands on the files and add the map to the FDF repo
Hulabi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 23:40   #109
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

For the swamp,
on La Drang, the "Cutoff Platoon" control point has a swamp, it has a unique "muddy" water plane, it looks really cool. (I think it was also on the VN map that was removed from 1.0, forgot the name atm)
IDK what the swamps look like in Prizrak, but I'd guess the water is muddy.

Map looks really organic, the placement/grouping of trees/flora looks really nicely done.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 12:21   #110
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Looking good, but my main concern is with your dirt runway, a modern jet aircraft would never take off from one as there is far too much risk of engine damage from the engine sucking in some dirt, stones or w/e into the engine on take off as well as the very large risk of the wheels digging down into the dirt and the entire aircraft flipping over or having its landing gear damaged at the very least, which was a massive problem for the Pucara in the Falklands war, even thou it was a repetitively light, turboprop aircraft.

In the Falklands war the Brits did make a Forward Airbase for their Harriers at San Carlos using some kind of metal matting, something similar to Marsden Matting which they used back in WW2, Vietnam and still a bit today, entire airbases where crated in the Pacific using them: http://openvault.wgbh.org/fedora/get...1349/Image.jpg).

You could perhaps look at doing something similar? Although don't know if this kind of matting is stable or safe enough for modern day jets with a long take off. Also it is more of an option for the Harrier not only because it has a much slower take-off speed than most aircraft but also a much shorter take-off in general which meant that it didn't need to be very long. Fast Jets, although require a much shorter runway ingame than in r/l, wouldn't really have this option I don't believe but still a far better option than a dirt runway.

I would also suggest you seriously consider and look into making a proper airbase, especially if you go down the metal matting route as they would be best done in this new system: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...g-airbase.html
I know that finding someone to model them isn't easy but doesn't take much to draw up the dimensions and layout of what you need then ask someone on these forums if they would give a shot at making it

As for the rest of the map it looks pretty good, some nice colour work I see with the terrain, although your water colour needs quite a bit of tweaking.

EDIT: also from this pic: http://i.imgur.com/jY53lTi.png looks like either your low detail texture is very, very repeated, or your detail texture is drawing really far away, you can see the repetition from only 100m away... This doesn't only look bad but is really bad for performance. Should lower your low detail tiling a lot and/or reduce your detail texture draw range for the same reasons. And also you should remove the undergrowth off of your roads and fix up the alpha but most likley your GFX card that's the problem there.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2013-10-23 at 12:41..

Tags
4km, map, poxo is ghey, prizrak, wip