project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2010-05-21, 20:21   #101
Jonny
Default Re: [Map] Wake Island (4km) [WIP]

BF2 doesn't handle maps with loads of statics well, according to Rhino. Its better with a few much more complicated objects.

If you can make big chunks of buildings, though, you might get performance as well as uniqueness. I think something more like the size of two floors of the muttrah housing blocks, rather than the smaller bits of buildings you see on asad, might be worth trying. You probably cant really do that with this map though, so best to stick to single object buildings.

There is no reason you cant model the buildings in parts, which would be easier, so long as you can avoid it being obvious that they are modeled in parts.
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-21, 20:55   #102
Dankicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
There is no reason you cant model the buildings in parts, which would be easier, so long as you can avoid it being obvious that they are modeled in parts.
The "would be easier" part is what got me asking I guess I'll have to process through making one sometime to really understand it.
Dankicity is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-23, 13:37   #103
Euroma$t3er

cant wait to play this map
Euroma$t3er is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-23, 14:26   #104
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
BF2 doesn't handle maps with loads of statics well, according to Rhino. Its better with a few much more complicated objects.

If you can make big chunks of buildings, though, you might get performance as well as uniqueness. I think something more like the size of two floors of the muttrah housing blocks, rather than the smaller bits of buildings you see on asad, might be worth trying. You probably cant really do that with this map though, so best to stick to single object buildings.
Ye, lots and lots of little bits of buildings is really bad for performance which I've found with my Afghan static kit I made ages ago now. Its far better to make one single static building since then the engine dosen't have to do all the processing with how far away you are from each object, when it needs to switch the lod and when it needs to cull it etc.

The only time when you want to split an object up into bits is with very large objects, like the vBF2 dam or carrier, since if you had it all as one object, if you where on one side of the dam/carrier, your PC would still be drawing the other side of the dam/carrier in its highest possible detail, even thou it is 300m or so away and you can't even see the tiny bits of wire its drawing. Spiting the dam/carrier up into bits means you will only be drawing the bit nearest you in the highest detail, while drawing the bit at the other end of the dam/carrier in lod2 or so.

The ME Apartment buildings on Muttrah that have each floor split into different bits is fine as well, but only just fine, any smaller and it would be a bit of an issue.

Quote:
Indeed, more and more these days I'm finding myself making generic items that I just clone all the way round my statics etc, but before I clone them all round I also make them there LODs and COLs, since then afterwards I can easily attach there LODs and COLs to the final lod or col instead of going around each object making there lods and cols individually, saving me huge amounts of time in the long run

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-23, 20:13   #105
Dankicity

Thanks for explaining that Rhino. Makes perfect sense now.

Wonder if that Unlimited Detail technology/technique will make that all go away [inset pigs flying, hell freezing, wives looking like they did when u got married]
Dankicity is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-23, 22:03   #106
pfhatoa

I'm stunned by this map. It's looking damn good!
pfhatoa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 16:29   #107
Dankicity

Updated first post with a download link. Editor folder has notes on where everything's at.

Not sure that I packed it right and there are still plenty of quirks and tweaks needed so don't expect a finished map on this run. This version is just something to wet your whistle (and for friends who get perm-banned from servers that we always play on.... sweet broCphas)

If anyone is looking to help just let me know what that help is going to be so I don't keep working on it myself. Betting this is unlikely until I get a bit further along and properly prepped audit.

15 days till vacation... can I make it? Most unlikely.

[edit] just noticed I left on my layer with misc statics. Crap... also gotta warn about the roads not matching up or having the right intersection texture. Splines don't like sitting still for me and I'm a nub
Last edited by Dankicity; 2010-05-24 at 17:26..
Old 2010-05-24, 17:50   #108
robbie3211

Firstoff, I love what you've done, you've clearly put a lot of work into it.
But honestly, I can't see this working...
I just don't like the idea of just hopping onto a boat and going to the next flag out of any direction you want really, or the line to line combat for a piece of island with no flanking at all...
But please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just my opinion...
robbie3211 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 22:05   #109
Dankicity

Always entitled to opinions and to be honest that was my initial impression of how the map would be... except I have no boats... and you can't just go anywhere and cap a flag, if that's what you were saying.

I desired for this to not have many, if any wide-flanking opportunities. I noticed that tactic is the bread & butter of most squad leaders. On this map there is less risk of that soloist who super flanks around for the FOB death after death. Or for that squad to sit idly by, waiting for the enemy to switch from defensive to offensive, all so they can neutralize the flag without lifting a finger. Since even if they succeed in capping the flag, doing so means leaving teammates in a fight of 2 on 1 and probably the FOB being overran. Result being little to no hope of reinforcements since the supporting squad just walked into a enemy filled area that was suppose to be cleared.

I hope to force a collaborative play in that sometimes you have to actually attack a naturally defended enemy head on, with full methodical force. In honor of the last Lost: "Live together or die alone."
Last edited by Dankicity; 2010-05-24 at 22:23..
Old 2010-05-24, 22:50   #110
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Well, I think this looks like it could be pretty awesome. Seems to me that a lot of people dismiss some maps because it's not the 'PR way' of doing things. I think it would be a shame if every map ended up playing the same just because its supposedly not the 'PR way'. I'd love to see a wide variety of maps(size and environment), with a wide variety of play styles, and a wide variety of faction layouts.

As already stated in this thread, looks like this map could end up being quite different, so I really hope it makes it into PR

Web_cole is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, island, map, wake, wip