project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Closed Thread

Old 2018-03-21, 14:08   #111
DogACTUAL

Default Re: [1.5] Game is laggy/low fps

I wonder what impact random access memory speed has on performance and frame rate. Might it be a bottleneck too like the CPU?
Old 2018-03-22, 11:52   #112
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

It breaks lots of HUD stuff, will take a week or two. Doesn't solve too-many-draw-calls caused by too many statics (fallujah, 2nd muttrah picture), but definitely helps a ton.
Last edited by [R-DEV]AlonTavor; 2018-03-22 at 12:01..
Old 2018-03-22, 18:07   #113
todo22

Thank you devs for pursuing the issue. Also tested PR on my new desktop pc I thought could handle it better but got almost the exact same fps problem I would get in maps like muttra city. Both pc's are lower end but I expected the gpu to carry the game a little more I suppose. I'll test both PC's once you guys release the possible fix.

laptop: i5 430 2.27ghz, 4gb ddr3, hd 5450m (memory ???),

desktop: Athlon II x2 2.8ghz, 8gb ddr3, gtx 650 1gb,
Old 2018-03-22, 22:49   #114
[R-MOD]FFG
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

I've been using the WIP version of the HUD optimisation.

On the upside the FPS is greatly improved. I went from 10-30 FPS in 1.5.3.3 to 90-120 depending on the situation.

The downside being its still rather broken atm. So will take some time to get it onpar with how the hud interacts currently.

Old 2018-03-23, 13:24   #115
qubolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG View Post
I've been using the WIP version of the HUD optimisation.

On the upside the FPS is greatly improved. I went from 10-30 FPS in 1.5.3.3 to 90-120 depending on the situation.

The downside being its still rather broken atm. So will take some time to get it onpar with how the hud interacts currently.
Does this mean that the DEVS have already found the solution to the current FPS drop? Is it possible to have some kind of access to it?
Old 2018-03-23, 13:39   #116
[R-MOD]FFG
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qubolo View Post
Does this mean that the DEVS have already found the solution to the current FPS drop? Is it possible to have some kind of access to it?
Mats has been working on it. Its still very WIP aka broken as fuck, so no its not available to everyone just yet. soon™

Old 2018-04-09, 21:47   #117
matchbox2022

Damn. Thanks alot! Appreciate your help with the FPS issue, it really is game breaking at times when looking at players / their general direction

Just out of curiosity, for such a CPU bound game, does anyone know which graphic settings have the biggest impact on CPU (I'm assuming anything called dynamic and view distance?)

That's definitely my bottleneck, my GPU is old as shit and is only hitting 30% useage at most. I'd like to turn up the AA, but again, unsure if that is going to give the CPU even more to do.

And does setting affinities help at all? I haven't really seen a difference.

Currently a super old
C2D @ 3.33Ghz
3500M 680/800
4GB DDR2 800mhz
Old 2018-04-16, 16:00   #118
Barbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
I wonder what impact random access memory speed has on performance and frame rate. Might it be a bottleneck too like the CPU?
I don't think so, everything is loaded at the beginning so the only difference in memory bandwith would be how fast a map loads (+ dependant on CPU speed and instructions for decompressing files etc.) It's not like an open world sandbox game where it constantly streams data.
Old 2018-04-20, 21:07   #119
DogACTUAL

What i meant is that the RAM speed might be to slow to supply the CPU with data fast enough as in the CPU is being limitated by the RAM speed and could actually process more data much faster if the memory speed was higher therefore leading to lower frames?

This might just be a misassumption on my part on the basics of how the CPU and memory actually interact with each other though because of ignorance, as i didn't really read up on that aspect much. Maybe even the slowest RAM speeds are enough to feed the data to the CPU fast enough in the case of this game?
Last edited by DogACTUAL; 2018-04-20 at 21:14..
Old 2018-04-20, 22:22   #120
TBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
What i meant is that the RAM speed might be to slow to supply the CPU with data fast enough as in the CPU is being limitated by the RAM speed and could actually process more data much faster if the memory speed was higher therefore leading to lower frames?

This might just be a misassumption on my part on the basics of how the CPU and memory actually interact with each other though because of ignorance, as i didn't really read up on that aspect much. Maybe even the slowest RAM speeds are enough to feed the data to the CPU fast enough in the case of this game?
You're correct
RAM speed mostly affects communication between the CPU and memory which will be ongoing during play. Loading speed is usually bottlenecked by disk read speed. DDR2 800 still has a transfer rate 8 times faster than the fastest SATA 3 SSD.
Closed Thread

Tags
fps, game, laggy or low