project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-28, 19:24   #111
happycamper
Default Re: AK-47 Accuracy... really?

thank you USMCMIDN

By the way look at this video, this guy knows what he is talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQAl12oQ4I
Last edited by happycamper; 2009-12-28 at 19:38..
Old 2009-12-28, 19:28   #112
killonsight95
Supporting Member

he does hit targets but he has to aim high

Old 2009-12-28, 19:34   #113
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCMIDN View Post
woah you cannot compare the AK 103 to the 47.... Very different made in SOME parts and quality...... This is irrelevant to the conversation/debate and topic!
Quote:
also the 103 is a design off of the AKM which is also different made in quality from the 47
even though its different a bit, i cant say it was improved in such way so you couldnt hit shit at 200m and now capable of relatively good accuracy at 1000m

about 47vsAKM
imo, most of AKs around the world are actually AKMs(not taking into account other rip-offs, just when people call it AK-47), but people keep calling it AK-47, because they are used to it and it became kind of brand and symbol throughout years of its service

Quote:
it is lighter and made with a different type of barrel for better accuracy also a different type of optic sight than the 47 and still even in this video to hit a target at 1000 yards with that round
Quote:
he would have to be aiming way up ive been to many ranges with the military and w.o
i've held AKM and AK-74M, sight adjusted to max range do not go that high so you need to aim into sky tbh
and what are the ground braking changes in sights? it hasnt changed much, biggest difference i can remember out of my head is increase from 800 to 1000m
Quote:
this video in my opinion is a fake
well, then i could say discovery video is fake and the guy shooting AK was missing on purpose

sighting device is the other way round, imo once you get used to it you wont have much problems
my grandfa told me he had no problems engaging targets up to 400m with AKM and AK-74 from prone and 200-300m from other stances, all this after extensive practice ofc

Quote:
You can not compare this rifle to the 47 that made me laugh but I wonder how many people altered their opinions based on this video lol!
nobody is saying its very effective and has pinpoint accuracy at 1km distance, point is its not useless at mid-range as some people think- AK= crap and its impossible to hits barn wall at 100m

Quote:
when the Rus made this weapon they focused on quality where as they could because they were making the AK74 in quantity
meh, can you give at least some kind of source for it? because this reminds of old crap about leet T-64/80 and crap mobilizing T-72(at the beginning it was so, but then it changed)

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
Last edited by DankE_SPB; 2009-12-28 at 19:44..
Old 2009-12-28, 20:20   #114
USMCMIDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DankE_SPB View Post
even though its different a bit, i cant say it was improved in such way so you couldnt hit shit at 200m and now capable of relatively good accuracy at 1000m

about 47vsAKM
imo, most of AKs around the world are actually AKMs(not taking into account other rip-offs, just when people call it AK-47), but people keep calling it AK-47, because they are used to it and it became kind of brand and symbol throughout years of its service

i've held AKM and AK-74M, sight adjusted to max range do not go that high so you need to aim into sky tbh
and what are the ground braking changes in sights? it hasnt changed much, biggest difference i can remember out of my head is increase from 800 to 1000m

well, then i could say discovery video is fake and the guy shooting AK was missing on purpose

sighting device is the other way round, imo once you get used to it you wont have much problems
my grandfa told me he had no problems engaging targets up to 400m with AKM and AK-74 from prone and 200-300m from other stances, all this after extensive practice ofc

nobody is saying its very effective and has pinpoint accuracy at 1km distance, point is its not useless at mid-range as some people think- AK= crap and its impossible to hits barn wall at 100m

meh, can you give at least some kind of source for it? because this reminds of old crap about leet T-64/80 and crap mobilizing T-72(at the beginning it was so, but then it changed)

you can easily google Russian AK103 where it explains the history of the weapon and the Russian militaries intention...

I too have held an Ak and AKM I know the difference in fact the USMC and I believe US Army gives classes on both rifles and trains their guys to know the difference. To a civi maybe there is no difference but to an infantry soldier/marine trained to know his weapons and field strip both the AK and AKM (inside they are different and outside) he would know.

as for your grandfather the key word is practice I assume you GF was or is in the Rus Mil and if so remember Russia is one of those non NATO countries that gives its infantry a lot of range time where as someone who was in for example the old Iraqi military is going to be less accurate and less likely able to shoot like your GF did.

and maybe I am dissonant to the AKs sights but I know for a fact it is different than the AK103s. I train and practice using an M16 type rifle so maybe to me the sights are harder to sight in a target with...

Also I am sure there were more AKs made than AKMs the Soviets had stockpiles of the weapons laying around just in case remember the AKMs were made a bit later than the AKs still of soviet origin I would think and am sure there are more AKs out there just because it is cheaper to make than the AKM because of parts.

as for the video I am sure a discovery channel video is not fake and I would have more confidence in that than some joe shooting an AK103 on home video
Old 2009-12-28, 20:55   #115
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

ok, lets just drop it, or it will be locked
Quote:
GF was or is in the Rus Mil
somthing like ~25-30 years on service, he is retired ofc since he is 70 now, same with father, though he didnt have that much practice with AK after academy, only with PM

Quote:
as for your grandfather the key word is practice I assume you GF was or is in the Rus Mil and if so remember Russia is one of those non NATO countries that gives its infantry a lot of range time
this heavily depends on unit, some people happen to shoot only one mag during their 1 year draft due to assignment to specific branches, where they are not likely to fight even in case of war(operators of specific vehicles etc.)

on the other hand for example space troops cadets received extensive trainings in all kind of actions, starting from simple range shooting and ending with sapper courses and blowing up nuke imitators(200kg of TNT and napalm), while you will wonder why people who are supposed to launch satellites and operate other hi-tech stuff need such training
now this program was trimmed down, but still pretty extensive

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
Old 2009-12-28, 22:48   #116
Hunt3r

The AKM should be just dandy for everything in PR up to 300 meters.
Old 2009-12-28, 23:14   #117
KP
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCMIDN View Post

I too have held an Ak and AKM I know the difference in fact the USMC and I believe US Army gives classes on both rifles and trains their guys to know the difference. To a civi maybe there is no difference but to an infantry soldier/marine trained to know his weapons and field strip both the AK and AKM (inside they are different and outside) he would know.

I take it that by "AK" you mean the AK-47. If so, no, they're not really all that different inside. At least not according to Mr Popenker's most excellent site.

Modern Firearms - Kalashnikov AK-47 AKM Assault Rifle

The difference when field stripping the thing should be negligable.
Old 2009-12-28, 23:50   #118
USMCMIDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]KP View Post
I take it that by "AK" you mean the AK-47. If so, no, they're not really all that different inside. At least not according to Mr Popenker's most excellent site.

Modern Firearms - Kalashnikov AK-47 AKM Assault Rifle

The difference when field stripping the thing should be negligable.
the spring, bolt carrier, and trigger are the major differences and they are noticeable if you play around with them a lot... if you field stripped 2 right next to each other it is easy to identify which is which.

also the ak47 is 3 lbs heavier than the akm to a guy humping all day that is pretty a good difference.
Last edited by USMCMIDN; 2009-12-28 at 23:55..
Old 2009-12-28, 23:57   #119
JKJudgeX

I guess the easiest way to characterize the point that I'm getting at is this:
Yes, the AR is much more accurate than the AK (47) when measured on paper at a given distance... but measured on human sized targets at realistic urban combat ranges, the difference is negligible...

Seriously, go put a target at 100 yards, get yourself an AK and an AR (or borrow them). Take some quickly aimed shots (no more than 2 seconds between shots), iron sights for both. I guarantee there won't be a life or death difference between the two rifles.

Do the same thing after putting a couple pieces of wood in front of your target, however, and there will be a life or death difference between the two.

Do the same thing at 300+ yards, and there will also be a life or death difference between the two, but, I honestly think that engaging enemies at 300+ yards with iron sights is really just telling them where you are, with either rifle, hit or not, probably not wise.

I wasn't trying to turn this into an AR vs. AK debate. They each have their uses and reasons they excel... I just think that the INTERNET COMMANDOS out there try to place some kind of LEGENDARY difference between the two that really doesn't exist in typical combat scenarios. Both rifles were designed for urban/jungle warfare (less than 300 yards). Both of them work damn near equally in practice for those purposes. If you are a marksman capable of squeezing the AR for 500 yards, you deserve a little more accuracy, but, that's not going to matter in the 100 yard range. What IS going to matter is who saw who first, and who had the gun shouldered with sight picture first.

This isn't what happens in PR.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. I've read the manual and played this mod for a long time, but is there a secret to using the AK (or any rifle) in PR? I know you have to wait a few seconds of not moving before pulling the trigger, but, is there some kind of incantation or prayer, or a specific way to hold my tongue before I click?
Old 2009-12-29, 00:09   #120
ReadMenace

While I was gone at work, this thread went from silly to absolutely ridiculous.

Highlights include:
Adrenaline increases fine motor skill function. (Contrary to biology -- but maybe Judge is super human.)
Love effects the function of a firearm.
US, UK and French Made AKs (Granted there is the CIA Centurion 39, and some of Arsenal Inc.'s rifles.)
The Straight-Pull "AK103" with 8x optic hitting the broad side of a TANK at 1000m (How does that pertain to the topic?)
All of this and more!

This aside, I continue to stand by my assertion -- the AK47 in-game is more than adequately represented.
There are a wide variety of people on the DEV team, including various Active/Reserve/Ex-Military personnel, and more than one avid shooter. Maybe all of their combined knowledge and experience has come together to in attempts to accurately represent a wide variety small arms in regards to reality and game-play -- or maybe we should consider a love-meter, decreased deviation during suppression and 2moa AKs.

-REad
Closed Thread

Tags
accuracy, ak47